Dodge Truck V10 vs. Viper V10 - what is the difference?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a V10 from a truck (not the new SRT but the earlier V10's). The truck is totalled but the engine is apparently in good shape. I am thinking of various vehicles I could throw it in.

I'm trying to figure out what the differences were between these V10's and the Viper's V10. What was the horsepower, torque and why were they lower than the Vipers. Is it just a matter of swapping out intake manifolds or what detuned them?

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not the same. The early truck V-10's, I believe, had a cast iron block. I'm sure there are plenty of other differences, but I don't know the rest. The horsepower is much lower in the truck V-10.

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so I found out the HP and Torque ..."8.0-liter Magnum V10 engine with 305 horsepower and 440 lb-ft. of torque". So now why is the HP 305 instead of over 400? The torque is close.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Absolutely no common parts.
Lower compression.
Heavier reciprocating mass.
Redline, HP peak, and TQ peak are all at least 1,000 rpm lower.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FranciscoR, is way off on that one. Would be nice, if people didnt know the facts, they would not answer.

I followed this line of questioning a year ago, when a guy was going to GIVE me a v10 motor. Sadly, I found out, none of it is interchangeable. Some said the rods were, but that ended up not being true.

Let that truck v10 go.. it has no usable parts or pupose in a viper.

Jon

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Ram 2500 V10 new in 1995 and still have it. Not much similarity to our snakes, unfortunately (except displacement is 8 liters). It's a great engine though, torque monster, but not much above 4000 RPM. I even got the "performance computer" from MOPAR for mine, but except for having to burn premium now, not much diff.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the book Dodge Viper by Daniel F. Carney:

Looking back, it seems astonishing that Team Viper was also building a radical new engine from a nearly clean sheet of paper, to a deadline pace. Ruling out the truck engine meant the team members had to build what they wanted themselves.

Said Francois Castaing "It was already April 1989. If we wanted the car to be ready by January 1992, we needed to really get going. But the timing for the truck engine was a year later. It also became obvious, when we looked at it more thoroughly, the weight of the iron engine was too high and the power we would get from it wouldn't be sporty enough." Francois was in charge of truck engineering at the time.

Said Roy Sjoberg , Team Viper's new executive engineer,"We rapidly ascertained, the truck guys and myself, that where we wanted a 6,200-rpm redline, the truck guys didn't really care to go over 4,200 rpm. They were interested in low-end torque, not horsepower at high-rpm levels where we were. They were not concerned about weight. Truckies don't like aluminum blocks. They're not as forgiving, and truck people like to have things that are pretty bulletproof.

"Not a lot could be learned from our truck V-10 development. Both engines were V-10s, but one was aluminum and one was iron; ours was sequential-fire individual-injected, and the truck's was group-injected, so it ended up having air pumps and things. We only needed EGR to meet the initial emission requirements, as well as a catalyst. The truckers had to put some other things on it. We ended up with the same dimension pushrod and that was it. But even there, we used a higher-grade material because of our power and rpm requirements."

In the end, there wasn't a single shared part with the Ram V-10 that was being built elsewhere within Chrysler.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the cams are shorter, balance is different, and the accessories are located in different spots for sure. The blocks are sleeved different (aluminum vs. cast iron also)and the intakes are different...I am sure there is more, but that is all I know for sure.
Later,
Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper