Roadsters at VIR

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought an 03 a few weeks back to use as a track car. I am signed up for a track day at Virginia International Raceway this weekend, but am worried I may not pass their rules for convertibles. The event organizer said I just need to pass the broomstick rule. But I have also seen info online that seems to say VIR doesn't allow stock viper roll bars.

I have never seen a convertible get turned away from any of the other tracks I have run. However, I don't want to drive 3 hours to find out the hard way. I am sure someone on here has taken an SRT/10 roadster to VIR. I would appreciate your input.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardtops have been needed for ViperDays at VIR, not sure about other events though.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an 03 a few weeks back to use as a track car.

I can hear it now..... I would say if this car is going to be a "track car" there are many that will recommend that you just install roll bars now and save yourself the trouble. The "Roll Hoops" on the SRT/10 verts are not really any kind of roll over protection.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will do the roll bar at some point. I just won't be able to do it before this weekend.

I'm going to lower the seat with a 2" kit so I can pass the broomstick test. I am 6'3" so i need that anyway. I'll do the roll bar before the next track day. Thanks for the help and advice.

venomred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't this weekends' event with Trackdaze? Check w/them about rollbar...I have had a friend run on '08 'vert @ VIR with NARRA but only in the HDPE classes; not TT or Competition classes...

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just for future reference:

A stock Viper SRT-10 Roadster is allowed at VIR as long as you can pass the broomstick test.

I would NOT have been able to pass if I didn't install the 2" seat drop kit. The first instructor I had didn't make it a full lap. We got black flagged at the oak tree because his helmet was several inches over the roll hoop. They found a much shorter instructor and I was good to go for the rest of the day.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a hardtop from AP Engineering, just for track days.
It's seems to work everywhere I go.
However, at some point I wouldlike to install the Autoform rollbar.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I understand but what exactly is the broomstick test and how is it done?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Barrels, I understand the test...the problem is those "hoops" behind the seats on stock SRT-10 verts are NOT roll bars!!!! If you plan future events with your current set-up, you may find that Viper-aware tech inspectors may indeed flunk you without the broomstick test.

Be safe...get a real rollbar soon!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave