new forum -posting pics in threads

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris,

Now, for us dummies, could you tell us what is the best size for posting them and how, when, and where to do so?

Good questions!!!

VCA Members get 500 MB of space in the gallery. That's alot, but with hi-res cameras being so readily available these days it can go fast! I would recommend photos be sized no larger than 1024x768. Any larger than that and they probably won't fit inside most people's browser windows without having to scroll vertically or horizontally to see it (unless they have a ridiculously high resolution on their monitor). For general stuff that you want in a post here on the forums, 640x480 or similar is good (maybe slightly different depending on your camera's aspect ratio). This way the photo fits comfortably within your post, it's big enough to retain detail, etc. But if you're uploading something that's wallpaper/screen-saver worthy, the bigger the better (this can eat up space fast though, as some of these can be upwards of 3Mb per photo in size).

How: read through this thread, then visit the gallery and experiment a little. You won't break anything!

When: Whenever you have a photo pertinent to a topic being discussed, or if you just want to share your latest shutterbug creation...that's entirely up to you!

Where: Again, the gallery is a great place to store photos. There are great options out on the internet for free image hosting, I believe some of them are mentioned in this thread.

Happy picture posting!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a hack for VBulletin forums that automatically re-sizes pictures inside posts:
"nCode Image Resizer"

Works great.
$0.00
About 10 minutes to install and setup.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good questions!!!

VCA Members get 500 MB of space in the gallery. That's alot, but with hi-res cameras being so readily available these days it can go fast! I would recommend photos be sized no larger than 1024x768. Any larger than that and they probably won't fit inside most people's browser windows without having to scroll vertically or horizontally to see it (unless they have a ridiculously high resolution on their monitor). For general stuff that you want in a post here on the forums, 640x480 or similar is good (maybe slightly different depending on your camera's aspect ratio). This way the photo fits comfortably within your post, it's big enough to retain detail, etc. But if you're uploading something that's wallpaper/screen-saver worthy, the bigger the better (this can eat up space fast though, as some of these can be upwards of 3Mb per photo in size).

How: read through this thread, then visit the gallery and experiment a little. You won't break anything!

When: Whenever you have a photo pertinent to a topic being discussed, or if you just want to share your latest shutterbug creation...that's entirely up to you!

Where: Again, the gallery is a great place to store photos. There are great options out on the internet for free image hosting, I believe some of them are mentioned in this thread.

Happy picture posting!
Oh cmom who doesn't have a monitor now days that doesn't have a better resolution than that now days? Just giving you a hard time. ;) I do like the high res pictures better especially when saving them. Just my opinion. I say we keep up with gmail and go for 6725MB, after all we need to keep up with the new right? ;) :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you sure? every pic i have ever seen has a URL address. wouldnt it have to?

Yeah, Big, I also don't have urls from the pics that are in my own picture files? Which is why I have a DEVIL of a time posting pics!!! UNLESS I upload to ImageShack each time...and when I DO upload a pic with an url to the member gallery, I get 'Done' on bottom of page, but a blank page? Any hints on that one? THANK YOU...you do a GREAT service here!!! :2tu: ~juli

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks kcobean. and sorry, Chris, for the sizing question. I scrolled down your post to fast and didn't see the instructions. Sounds complicated but will give it a try.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to upload photos to my Gallery (about 400k JPG files). Once I click "Upload/Sumbit" the file spec I "Browse..." is cleared out and it indicates "Processing Upload... Please Wait!" and just stays there (I've let it go for more than a few minutes, but nothing).

I've uploaded in the past, but maybe that was before the site changeover. Anything I'm obviously doing wrong?

Ron

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to upload photos to my Gallery (about 400k JPG files). Once I click "Upload/Sumbit" the file spec I "Browse..." is cleared out and it indicates "Processing Upload... Please Wait!" and just stays there (I've let it go for more than a few minutes, but nothing).

I've uploaded in the past, but maybe that was before the site changeover. Anything I'm obviously doing wrong?

Ron

Just as a test, try doing a single file and see if that works.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried that (single file) - same exact thing (file spec clears out and "Processing"). It indicates:

Disk space allowed on your account: Unlimited
Disk space used on your account: 17,248,436kb (17248436 bytes)
Disk space remaining for your account: Unlimited

Note the second line, apparently a bug since it cannot be both kilobytes ("kb") and bytes...

Any other ideas?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried that (single file) - same exact thing (file spec clears out and "Processing"). It indicates:

Disk space allowed on your account: Unlimited
Disk space used on your account: 17,248,436kb (17248436 bytes)
Disk space remaining for your account: Unlimited

Note the second line, apparently a bug since it cannot be both kilobytes ("kb") and bytes...

Any other ideas?

PM headed your way.....

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need info on getting a video/audio(exhaust sound) on the SRT forum. I can load pics fine but can't get the video/audio on. I tried uploading and it refuses.

I use the Adobe Photo shop 6 to store & edit pics & also store the Video/audio I have of my exhaust.

Any info would be appreciated

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for info-I may have to do it that way.

I know their is a way to do this but can't figure it out yet.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to do this but I don't know what a url is any help ???? I open a picture but nowhere does it say its url address. Sure like to post a pic.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
Hope this isn't a repost.

Try using Photobucket, an online site. It's free and if I can handle it, you're capable, believe me. Just start an account, download your pictures, and then you can post them really easily.

PM me if you need anything. Good luck.

VIPERCON305

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to do above procedure but for a Mac? All of my Viper pics are on my Mac and I do not get the same options when right clicking an image or file on my computer. i would like to get the pics that i post to be bigger ... Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper