Bypass exhaust screamer valves

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking lately for experimenting a little around on the exhaust system of my Gen4 SRT.

I got an idea on this vid on youtube
YouTube - Dodge Viper SRT 10 exhaust sound (MUST hear!!!)

I could see on that video that that bypass system would not free the resonators and the catalytic converters.

What came up is to use some cheap wastegates off Ebay (for around $100 each) with 2-1/2" openning, and place them somewhere before the cats.
Apart from the noise, I suppose that will make some power improvement in combination with the Mopar PCM.

Here is the wastegate.
You must be registered for see images

Here is the elbow pipe that I had to weld and cut an etension for reaching the correct length.

Here is also how it is planned to be welded

Another picture also of the planning with the wastegate.

As about the control of the wastegate valve, I am thinking of stealing some vacuum off the power brake booster tank and make the management when in WOT and at some certain RPMs.

I will keep updated for anything new that will come up.

I am open to comments and any advices.

George

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if I would cut my cat up, those things are not cheap. Where are you going to run the hot
exhaust? Out the bottom right by the foot well?

Herc

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ain't gonna happen under normal circumstances. If it does you had better check your tune because it's running way too rich.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of the most ******** things ive seen on this site.

throw in the tornado air filter thingy and you have quite the ricer. if this was the alley, id have a few more ideas and bits of advice for ya......

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard what a stock Viper sounds like without any exhaust attached at the headers which is basically what you are doing and it sounds like crap. Not to mention it is deafeningly loud. You wont last 5 mins driving around like that. The first time you hit the gas your ear drums will blow out and everyone within a 10 mile radius will think a tractor just exploded.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually thought it sounded pretty damn mean when I cranked it up with open headers. WAY too loud though (and I like loud). You would be deaf and pulled over every time you passed a cop for noise pollution.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is the best sounding SRT in my opinion.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUNrTV9y5I0[/media]

OP
OP
T

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why don't you just buy premade exhaust cut outs rather than reinventing the wheel?

JEGS High Performance - 555-30831

Those electric cutouts I have read that they do not last working for a long time, because the heat easily melts the insulation within the motor that makes the movement of the butterfly.

Secondly, they are quite slow to open and close instantly.

And last, the butterfly cutout compared to the wastegate valves, does not close completely, and especially after extended use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
probably sounds different because your bypass valves have a smaller id than a 2.5" cutout

Right, inlet is 2.5" but the outlet is 1-3/4".

Also, the exhausts gases will go out down exactly under the cats. There is a big openning.

Those cats are out of a wrecked Gen3, so if I dont like it I can change it back easily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
one of the most ******** things ive seen on this site.

throw in the tornado air filter thingy and you have quite the ricer. if this was the alley, id have a few more ideas and bits of advice for ya......

Can you please be specific, why you call it "********"?

OP
OP
T

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am just too curious to see what hp increase can be achieved, in combination with the Mopar PCM, with such a mod.

I could not find anywhere any dyno results of before and after cat-resonator-exhaust removal.

Maybe because nobody could stay in the dynoshop with such a noisiness!? :omg:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is the best sounding SRT in my opinion.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUNrTV9y5I0[/media]

Thanks Phil. After I passed Gary who was filming I had to come off the throttle quickly at the end of the video. I had some bird watchers running out of the woods flapping their arms and screaming that I made some red swallow birdies fly away:lmao:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1. You cant cut that cat there. Try and and you will see why, lol

2. You wont gain a thing.

3. How are you planning on opening that wastegate? Wastegates require HIGH exhaust back pressures to open them, something you don't have. You also have zero manifold vacuum at WOT to use to pull it open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper