MCS coilover install issues

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished installing MCS's two way adjustable coilovers on my '00 ACR along with Snake-Oyl's adjustable sway bars. The install went smoothly overall, after getting the sway bar and adjustable end links positioned just right. My only hiccup came after I bolted everything back up and removed the jack stands. Much to my dismay, despite the spring perch being nearly at the bottom of the shock collar, the ride height is EXACTLY the same as when the stock height Koni's were installed! I thought maybe it just needs to settle so I let her sit for a few hours then returned and the ride height had not changed. The car isn't drivable at the moment otherwise I'd take her for a spin to see if a trip to the gas station would level her out. Any suggestions on what I might have done wrong or what to check??

Matt

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you tighten the main attachment bolts with the suspension hanging? If so, that is the problem. The rubber bushings are set with the suspension hanging. You have to jack the wheel up as high as it will go, before tightening the bolts. You can do this one corner at a time. Jack the car back up, remove the wheel, loosen the upper and lower A-arm bolts, and bolts on the shocks, put a block of wood under the brake rotor and jack it up into normal position, then re-tighten the bolts again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you referring to the bolts that go through the lower a-arm and the upper shock mount? I did tighten them down while the system was hanging. Is this the source of the problem? I was beginning to wonder if the bushings had somehow stuck at the old ride height position. Thanks for your help. I'm very anxious to get her up and running again. She's been down for a year and a three months now.

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disconnect the sway bar on 1 side. It will let you raise the suspension to ride height if you are doing 1 side at a time.

What are your plans for the Koni's?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
What do you mean by "despite the spring perch being nearly at the bottom of the shock collar"?

I take it you are trying to lower - so you need to turn the perch up - effectively shortening the spring - and lowering the Viper.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by "despite the spring perch being nearly at the bottom of the shock collar"?

I take it you are trying to lower - so you need to turn the perch up - effectively shortening the spring - and lowering the Viper.

That is backwards. Moving the lower spring perch to the lowest point lowers the car. Compressing the spring is what lifts the vehicle. The "shorter" the spring is, the more the spring rate is lifting the vehicle.

Are you referring to the bolts that go through the lower a-arm and the upper shock mount?

Yes, the upper and lower bolts that mount the shocks, as well as the pivot bolts on any suspension components you may have removed/loosened. The upper a-arm pivot bolts that connect to the chassis, are usually the cause. Just need to get the suspension back to "normal" position and then re-tighten everything.

Disconnect the sway bar on 1 side. It will let you raise the suspension to ride height if you are doing 1 side at a time.

That would work, if you are using a lift. If simply doing one corner at a time on the ground, just make sure the other three wheels are on the ground.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think you typically have to drive it for it to "break in" so to speak and let things settle. I put some MCS singles on my 04 and it's since settled just a tad over where they were when I first installed them. And you might also look into gettng shorter springs with helpers (if you can). That would give you some more adjustment room on the shock body to be able to lower it to your taste.

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What are your plans for the Koni's?

I'm not entirely sure at the moment. They're all in excellent shape save the passenger rear which developed a blow-by leak. Only have 26k on them.

Yes, the upper and lower bolts that mount the shocks, as well as the pivot bolts on any suspension components you may have removed/loosened. The upper a-arm pivot bolts that connect to the chassis, are usually the cause. Just need to get the suspension back to "normal" position and then re-tighten everything.

That would work, if you are using a lift. If simply doing one corner at a time on the ground, just make sure the other three wheels are on the ground.

Fantastic, I cant thank you enough for the info and help! A big thanks to everyone else who added their input as well.:2tu:

Reaction score
Matt,

What length and rates of springs are you using? That also will determine the ride height options. I don't think these were bought from me, but I'm more than willing to help you if I can.

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

What length and rates of springs are you using? That also will determine the ride height options. I don't think these were bought from me, but I'm more than willing to help you if I can.

Mark, I bought these from you the summer of "12 around July. (I'm the kid from Arkansas) I'm just now getting the time and opportunity to install them along with the other parts I had ordered. Life gets away from you if your not paying attention. Anyway, the springs are the standard Eibach set up, 500 front 800 rear with the helper springs. I can't recall the length, but I think we had discussed my want to lower the car an inch and a half to two inches.

Reaction score
Ok Matt, now I found you. You could take the helpers out and gain the extra 3/4" or I can get you a 7" spring if we need to. It is ok for the collar to be low on the shock threads, but if you want send me a picture of the front and rear set up where they are no.

[email protected]

Thanks and sorry for your troubles.

Mark, I bought these from you the summer of "12 around July. (I'm the kid from Arkansas) I'm just now getting the time and opportunity to install them along with the other parts I had ordered. Life gets away from you if your not paying attention. Anyway, the springs are the standard Eibach set up, 500 front 800 rear with the helper springs. I can't recall the length, but I think we had discussed my want to lower the car an inch and a half to two inches.

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Matt, now I found you. You could take the helpers out and gain the extra 3/4" or I can get you a 7" spring if we need to. It is ok for the collar to be low on the shock threads, but if you want send me a picture of the front and rear set up where they are no.

Thanks and sorry for your troubles.

No trouble at all, learning new things is part of the fun! I will definitely get some pics to you later this afternoon and possibly give you a call with a few more questions. Thank you for your help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper