Passenger Side Floorboard Rattle - 2002 GTS

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After picking up my new-to-me 2002 GTS with 5400 miles on it, I've noticed a little rattle which seems to come from the passenger side floorboard/firewall. It only occurs intermittently, seems to change with RPM and only while the car is moving. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a thin piece of metal rattling against the frame or firewall. It isn't extremely loud, causing any other problems or anything else of that sort, but it just sounds like something is loose.

So this week I had the car up on jack stands to clean the wheel wells and while under the car I found that the thin metal heat shields that cover the catalytic converter area seem to be what I would consider "unsecured" underneath on both sides of the car while bolted securely on top. Underneath the car the shields seem to have bolt holes and are bent in a way that seems like they would be bolted to something. The car has never had any exhaust work done, so I don't know why or when these would have ever been removed.

Are these supposed to be mounted to the frame below the car or do they just hang down? The holes in the metal lead me to believe that they should be mounted bolted to something. Not the best angle, but here are a few pictures of the silver heat shield from the top and from the bottom.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they are,and you can just see the hole in the floor in that pic where the screw goes.....
Check the other side....

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is kind of what I was thinking, but they are both hanging down the same on both sides.

I wonder what size screw / bolt I need for this???

Any ideas?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it the same as the ones that mount the shield on top?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they are yes also same as the ones that bolt the underside of the exhaust covers on ... But I will check for you as I have one on the ramp at the moment.... Chuck T keeps these ..

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of a guy who lost a cell phone in his GTS. The cell phone went into one of the ducts in front of the passanger seat.
He sold his GTS because he could not stand the rattle!

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VIPER BAZ UK: That would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much!

ViperGTS: WOW! The rattle isn't THAT bad! :)

dave6666: If I wasn't in a fixing stuff kind of mood I would just go the "louder exhaust and crank up the radio" route! :)

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks for checking. I really appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper