Will my '00 RT fit on a U haul car trailer?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Will my \'00 RT fit on a U haul car trailer?

Do you know the dimensions of the trailer?

If it is an open trailer make sure it has removable fenders. This will save your sidepipes (if you are pre 96).

You might want to see if you can rent a trailer from a club member. They always seem to be willing to help, and you have the biggest club out there to get help in!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,
We had a club member move from NC to Las vegas. He rented a Penske truck and a trailer to tow his 95 Yellow RT. HEre is what we found...

1. Getting it on the trailer is tricky. You may need to use additional ramps. If you've made some our of 2x10's they'll work great. Its trick to get the car loaded without scraping the fascia.

2. The "stops" at he front of the trailer were too high and would hit the fascia. Removal of 4 rusty bolts and the offending pieces solved that problem.

3. Have yourself a good set of tie downs and frame hooks - UHaul only gives you chains.

4. We were able to place 2 2x4's between the tire/wheel and the sides of the trailer to prevent any side to side movement. Our friend did not have 4 tie down straps on the car yet. However, it probably would not hurt to do it anyway - the last thing you would want is the car shifting sideways at all and damaging a rim.

He had a safe and successful trip all the way to Las Vegas.

Hope this helps.

Janni

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's the standard U haul traler, I just want to rent it on a daily basis. I am thinking of picking up some Hoosiers for road racing and I wanna tow the Viper to the track with the wheels and tires on.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried to go that route SoCal, for the same reason, racing. It wasn't worth the trouble to rent a trailer every time I needed one. I finally found a trailer for $500. Storage for it is about $35/month.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SoCal,

You can buy an open trailer for less than the damage you would
be risking. Be Careful if you use these rental trailers, you MIGHT be ok, but that would make me nervous as hell!

Good luck,

2charmed

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,
I have heard that the trailer is too narrow. From my experience, the trailer needs to be wider. The open trailer I had was 8 1/2 feet wide. The critical dimension is between the fenders, they come in two sizes. The front may fit, but remember the rear of the car is wider than the front. Getting the car on the trailer, well that always took some sort of "Mickey Mouse" effort.

When I was in your shoes, I decided to just buy the trailer that works. It did cost $2,500 though and still couldn't just drive the car up the ramps.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did this with my Current Viper. I drove 5 hrs picked, it up and returned! It was tricky, but I was so anxious to get it, it was worth the little extra effort!
Here's what I found!

Janni hit many points right on!
Make sure you get the wide trailer! Measure the width, they had 3 different sizes and only one was wide enough.

It is tricky to get it loaded and unloaded w/o scraping the fascia. Here's how I did it: I was lucky enough to meet the delivery guy at a hotel parking lot. To unload it, we backed up to the 6" curb and drove it out onto the grass, making it the ramp more even(his trailer didn't require this, but for the loading it was required)! Then to load it, I drove it across the grass, 100ft or so and then BACKED it up onto my U-Haul, which was pulled up to the edge of the curb across from the unloading spot, thus giving me the same curb to even out the ramps! With the U-Haul, you will need extra ramps, 2x4s or something or you will never get it to work without massive damage! And you will have to back it up so that the front fasia isn't damaged on the front of the trailer!
To unload the Viper, I found a hill I could back up to, pull out the ramps so that it was nearly a Flat roll right off the trailer!!
Now that I think about it! I was very lucky and very unprepared for the unloading and loading of the Viper!! And if I wasn't so lucky, it would have had a huge headache!
If you have extra ramps that you can hook up, it should be easy, I am not sure on how 2x4s would work, otherwise, listen to Steve and find a friend or VCA member that has a better suited trailer and borrow it or rent it!!
Good Luck!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are a couple of sloan quick loads for sale in the VCA classifieds.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the Sloan Quick load trailer is the easiest I have seen for loading. Not sure on the quality, but seems to be very good.