mobile 1 or royal purple?

sdviper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have just purchased an 03 srt-10 with 16000 miles. I was told it is due for an oil change. I have used royal purple in the past but wanted to get another opinion. Can anyone help?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used the search term Royal Purple and it returned a handful of interesting threads you might want to check out. That button is right above your post.

Also PM your VIN to one of the mods or admins and they can change you from Enthusiast to Owner.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use rp in my 08 go with rp i have seen tests with mobil 1 and beats mobil 1 by far get the 5/40 grade

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smack down was about false claims and Im glad it caught up to them but I know a lot of owners who are very happy with RP just as the Porsche owner above is. I tried it a few years ago but could not tell the difference between Mobil 1. Its what you personally like.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Amsoil in all my vehicles. I've tried numerous other oils such as RP, mobil1, and Syntech with our fleet of work vehicles and Amsoil provided us the best results. Royal purple caused alot of grief with premature breakdown, and their gear lubes were responsible for replacement of two diffs. The best longevity we got was from Amsoil.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mobil 1 is recommended for Porsche, Corvette, Viper and many others. The easiest key is you can find it most anywhere, and it can be purchased at times on sale. Use the 0-40w in your 03 instead of the 10-30W and get the new style Viper oil filter for your car --- instead of the standard MoPar one most Dealers have in stock.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 is recommended for Porsche, Corvette, Viper and many others. The easiest key is you can find it most anywhere, and it can be purchased at times on sale. Use the 0-40w in your 03 instead of the 10-30W and get the new style Viper oil filter for your car --- instead of the standard MoPar one most Dealers have in stock.

I thought they changed the thread size for the filter (08/09 cars)....do you need an adapter to put the new model Viper filter in an 03-06?????

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought they changed the thread size for the filter (08/09 cars)....do you need an adapter to put the new model Viper filter in an 03-06?????

two different filters, there is a new filter made for the 06 and older, not to be confused with the one for 08 and 09 cars someone can chime in with the new part number, they actually say Viper on the side of the filter....I will get the number when I go down to the garage

05037836AA is the new number...found it

Last edited:

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im still going to use Royal Purple and Motul. The RP I put in my GT3 really made a difference in my SOP butt-O-meter. Nothing scientific and I dont sell the chit. Just my observations. BTW, Ive used Amsoil and Mobil 1 and Im sure they are fine oils but Ive never put an oil in and felt a difference right away... My 2 cents.

Flash

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
two different filters, there is a new filter made for the 06 and older, not to be confused with the one for 08 and 09 cars someone can chime in with the new part number, they actually say Viper on the side of the filter....I will get the number when I go down to the garage

05037836AA is the new number...found it

So this number is for the 1992-2006 cars, correct? I thought the 08/09 cars numbers ends in 41?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Let's get this filter situation spelled out clearly:

"New" recommended oil filter for 1992-2006 ( Gen I-III) Vipers is part number 05037836AA

and

the "New" recommended oil filter for 2008-2009 (Gen IV) Vipers is part number 05038041AA

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they brought a machine out i think they have it on there website of rp test

If the machine has an electric motor, torque wrench, weights, and metal rollers or balls (or at least three out of these four) then you were fooled.

There are obsolete grease and gear oil testers that aren't even used by grease and gear oil developers anymore. They respond to different chemicals than should be used in engine oil (either corrosive to engine bearings or chlorinated materials that are environmentally hazardous). There are no parts inside an engine like what this equipment evaluates.

Did I win the guessing game?

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well it was a good test they used mobil 1 ,castrol and rp and regular conv oil,rp was the best and castro was second i think the video of the same test is on you tube.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't make any decision on oil unless tom was involved.

I personally doubt much of us push our cars hard enough and we all change it often enough for any oil to work fine for us

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom knows more about oil and lubes than the next 20 people on this site combined.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used Euro Mobil 1 for years in all my cars, And not once had a problem....

Toms the man for all oil questions he is the OIL WIZARD LOL!!!!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whew....sure am glad I've used Amsoil the last 33 years :)

Steve

Steve, uhhh... 4-Ball Testing of competitors? Sorry, just had to.

And hey, Greg, Amsoil has lots of detergents because the oil is good for extended drains! (had to do that, too.)

BAZ, you folks in Euroland have many good choices because the "system" there has many different oil performance levels to choose from. Here in the US we have far fewer performance levels (if they are even advertised as such) and many brands...

Adam, the Falex tester is a common circus act. Old fashioned gear oil chemistry does well, but is so aggressive it corrodes engine bearings. Those kind of bench tests are visually impressive but don't predict anything about performance in the engine. Greg is right - run the oil and test it afterwards.

Like after 80,000 miles, right Greg?

(Sorry, lots of inside jokes going on here. )

Reaction score
Like after 80,000 miles, right Greg?

80,000? :omg:

That reminds of Mecerdes Benz's recommendation to service the transmission at the 100,000 mile mark. :nono:

I've seen guys with tunes so rich they just about needed to change the oil when they filled up their gas tank(slight exaggeration). The oil would get that contaminated with fuel.