Battery Dead...how to unlock car?

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok guys, Riddle me this? I have a Gen III viper and apparently it has been sitting too long and the battery is dead. I have jumpers and the whole nine yards ready..but how do I open the doors to get in the car? As you know, there aren't any keyholes in the doors...any help here?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
There is a key hole on the door about under the mirror. It will be very difficult to turn - almost like you're gonna break the key. You can make it easier to turn if you push in on the door while you're turning the key.

You must be registered for see images

Good luck.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, Riddle me this? I have a Gen III viper and apparently it has been sitting too long and the battery is dead. I have jumpers and the whole nine yards ready..but how do I open the doors to get in the car? As you know, there aren't any keyholes in the doors...any help here?

Did you read the owners manual? :confused: You should have. You would know how to do this......:nono: key hole under drivers mirror.

:lmao:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have to put pressure on the door to get it to unlock as this is a mechanical process and is sometimes difficult to turn

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As above regarding key lock...which, if you have never lubricated, may not work well...or at all. If this is the case, use a shot of WD-40 thru the provided red straw into the keyhole...and keep working the lock and door latch while pushing on the rear of the door.

In any event, you may want to consider opening the hood, charging or "jumping" the battery using the specified terminals there...then unlock car using keyfob. If opening the hood sets off the alarm, kill it with fob.

Question is: how's the battery in your fob?? If in doubt, get new fob battery first.

OP
OP
G

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok guys. got in the car and am jump starting using the trunk mounted battery. Now the car still will not start. The starter just clicks. I am reading and thinking am doing what's necessary to disable the anti theft system.

1. close all doors / trunk
2. press unlock on remote (its working now since the car has juice)
3. start car (only clicking sound from starter)

What gives??

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put battery on slow charger and walk away, Come back in the morning and all will be good.

audiowhiz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Battery is in the trunk, why don't you open the trunk with the key , jump the battery which in turn should let the door open electrically.

I would think that would be the case.

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've learned when jumping these cars it takes a while. Even if I use my big diesel it takes a while to charge it good enough to start. The last time mine did it I think it took around 15-20 mins before I could get it to start.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, if you use the lock, it may be difficult. I have been using the "sleep" mode, which seems to lock the door and disable the key fob.

Use the lock, turn the key VERY gently, and push in on the door, while also putting a little pressure on the door handle, and she should open right up.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Since you have already accessed the battery compartment, go to Sears, buy a new Die-Hard PLATINUM group 34 and be done with it !!!!

OP
OP
G

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
got it working guys. You guys are right, you have to let the car sit on the jumper for about 20 mins. I never had any car do this to me before hence my freak out mode. I am definitely getting a battery tender as I am finding that the car is starting to go for longer periods before starting.

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its not starting on the jump leads and you know they are connected good, leave it hooked up for a while, it can take some time to get enough charge back in to the battery for it to be able to fire up over the leads.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Also - consider using the "Sleep Mode" if you don't drive it for extended periods. To do so - turn key back to acc then to off 4 times. Then push the lock/unlock button UP. The horn will sound once to let you know that you set it.

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery is in the trunk, why don't you open the trunk with the key , jump the battery which in turn should let the door open electrically.
Wise guy. ;)

I have been using the "sleep" mode, which seems to lock the door and disable the key fob.
It shouldn't do either of those things. In fact, you "unlock" the drivers side door to activate sleep mode. Then you can use your fob to lock the car and activate alarm without exiting sleep mode.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I set sleep mode (4 towards me, hit "unlock", I get chirp.) I get out, shut door, but don't lock it. Walk away.
A week or two later, come back, door is locked, and remote no worky. Unlock car with key, get in, start 'er up, and all good - except trip odometer reset to "0".

I park it in a secure locked garage, so I didn't hit the lock button on the remote. I guess that's what's doing it.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe to deactivate the sleep mode all you have to do is press the drivers side door handle.Then press the handle again to open the door.If the door does not open(vehicle is armed),press unlock on the fob,open the door,put the key into the ignition and turn it to the on/run position.This will then disable the battery save feature.Pressing on the handle has worked for me but I leave the window down a bit so if the battery is not working by some chance,I can open the door with the interior door handle.

Bernienormand1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Locked doors with Key in Ingnition

Car stored for winter. Left key in ignition, doors looked, (2006 convertable) any way to unlock doors, other that odering new key?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:nono: you people are monsters- you should never jump a dead battery in a high energy beast like that. you could give it electrical fREAK OUT syndrom, for heavens sake on a 100k car get a battery charger.:mad:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Locked doors with Key in Ingnition

Car stored for winter. Left key in ignition, doors looked, (2006 convertable) any way to unlock doors, other that odering new key?
yes smash out the side glass:lmao: just joking dont do that:omg:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I set sleep mode (4 towards me, hit "unlock", I get chirp.) I get out, shut door, but don't lock it. Walk away.
A week or two later, come back, door is locked, and remote no worky. Unlock car with key, get in, start 'er up, and all good - except trip odometer reset to "0".

I park it in a secure locked garage, so I didn't hit the lock button on the remote. I guess that's what's doing it.

Shame it was only the trip that reset to 0. Now setting the regular odometer to 0 would be fun. Ok, illegal too.

stonemaster44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what about gen2 rt/10, fob dont work changed the batt. nothing either wondering if I open the hood to hook up the charger will the alarm go crazy or it's dead now.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you read the owners manual? :confused: You should have. You would know how to do this......:nono: key hole under drivers mirror.

:lmao:

If you are like most people and leave your manual in the car, it would be quite hard to read if you are locked out of your car! :D

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Locked doors with Key in Ingnition

Have the car towed to a bad neighborhood, you will be surprised how quickly they will get the door open!:rolaugh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saramartin90