1998 Viper new owner need advice

charlestonsc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1998 Viper and need some input. I have owned several corvettes and a couple of porsches, but never a viper.

1. Are there any know issues with this year?

2. The car has less than 30K miles and can be purchased for less than $30,000. Does this sound like a good deal?

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1998 Viper and need some input. I have owned several corvettes and a couple of porsches, but never a viper.

1. Are there any know issues with this year?

2. The car has less than 30K miles and can be purchased for less than $30,000. Does this sound like a good deal?

Based on the very limited info you provided, it really can't be determined whether this is a deal or not. All you said was its a 98 (GTS or RT/10) we don't know, and less than 30k miles meaning could have 100 miles on it, or 29k miles, we don't know, and you said price was less than 30 meaning what? 29k or 15k, be more specific if you want really helpful advice. There are lots of folks on here who will help if you have the right information about the car. ;)

You might start with the VIN number, you could send that to someone on the board and they could possibly check it for you.

OP
OP
C

charlestonsc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but I am trying not to give out too many details regarding the car. This is an inside deal that I don't want to lose the inside track on.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
YES. Even with a salvage title, that's a good deal. As long as it doesn't need any significant work such as body panels, frame straightened, or new motor/trans. Look here in the classifieds and on ebay. I doubt you'll find another '98 for anywhere near 30k, let alone under 30. Good luck!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, buy it and start asking detailed questions later.

I would be suspicious of any "good" deal. And although $30K might not be exceptional of a deal for a '98, it does fit in the good deal category.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that a clean '98 GTS with under 30K on it without a history would be a bargain at 35K, let alone 30K. Frankly, that is way cheaper than I have heard of one that doesn't have a story attached, and I'm willing to bet that one does.

If not, the resale values have really hit the toilet.

OP
OP
C

charlestonsc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No story car is a clean title car. With today's economy people are willing to let things go for a small price.

Jason
1998 Dodge Viper (hopefully soon)
1962 FI Corvette
1957 T-bird
1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible
1931 Studebaker Coupe
1926 Ford Roadster
2000 Custom Harley Chopper
1949 HD Panhead

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that a clean '98 GTS with under 30K on it without a history would be a bargain at 35K, let alone 30K. Frankly, that is way cheaper than I have heard of one that doesn't have a story attached, and I'm willing to bet that one does.

If not, the resale values have really hit the toilet.

Or this guy is stupid not to put it on ebay or Auto Trader and get $5K more.

OP
OP
C

charlestonsc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a scam this is the real deal. Will post pictures of the car once the deal is sealed.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No story car is a clean title car. With today's economy people are willing to let things go for a small price.

Jason
1998 Dodge Viper (hopefully soon)
1962 FI Corvette
1957 T-bird
1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible
1931 Studebaker Coupe
1926 Ford Roadster
2000 Custom Harley Chopper
1949 HD Panhead

With all the cars in your collection, why are you so worried about getting such an exceptional deal on a viper :rolleyes: seems like you could really get into any viper you wanted if you wanted. So I'd just say check the car out and make your own decision. You really gonna let a bunch of folks on an internet board make your mind up for you, when you have this much experience with classis cars?

Giampiero

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With all the cars in your collection, why are you so worried about getting such an exceptional deal on a viper :rolleyes: seems like you could really get into any viper you wanted if you wanted. So I'd just say check the car out and make your own decision. You really gonna let a bunch of folks on an internet board make your mind up for you, when you have this much experience with classis cars?

EXACTLY:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OP
OP
C

charlestonsc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great point. I am just the type to avoid getting into a bad deal. I have never owned a Dodge product before and was just looking for some advice. I could actually care less about the money. I just want to get into a car that I enjoy. There is a big difference between the cars that I currently own, and the Viper. I was really looking for the pro's/con's of being a Viper owner.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great point. I am just the type to avoid getting into a bad deal. I have never owned a Dodge product before and was just looking for some advice. I could actually care less about the money. I just want to get into a car that I enjoy. There is a big difference between the cars that I currently own, and the Viper. I was really looking for the pro's/con's of being a Viper owner.

You asked us about a car without wanting to describe it.

I think that tactic did not work.

We did not transmogrify that into a description of how you might enjoy it.

Just buy it and post pics. We'll go from there!

V

Venomiss

If you like attention this is the car to have. :2tu: We have great group of Viper owners who love their cars-who also like to kid around;)
There are plenty of threads to read about 98's through the search if you haven't tried that one already. Welcome and hope to see pictures if you decide to take the plunge!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a new viper owner myself I will say you won't believe the rush!

As for under $30K..... In my search for the right car the only ones I saw under 30K looked like they had been wraped around a telephone pole. Even many of those were over 30.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
asking us about a car that we cant see and you arent willing to give details about is simply ridiculous.

your best advice is going to come from taking the car to a local viper tech and letting him look at the car.

good luck.

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You will not be dissapointed in the Viper. Once you go to Mopar muscle you will also start selling your vettes:D

PM board member boplaw and ask him about the car. He is a Viper owner in Charleston and will likely know the car and may look at it with you.

OP
OP
C

charlestonsc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew someone from the great state of South Carolina would respond. Thanks for the intelligent comments.