Soon to be new owner, Need feedback

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats! A good group here and a wealth of information available. Not being able to drive it until March-April is painful. Too much time to think about mods (Smile).

Be safe.

OH.. and sitting in the garage turning the wheel back and forth does not count for "Driving" :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The car is home. Rear tires are shot, and the driver's side valve cover seems to weep a bit of oil, but not enough to drip on the ground. Other than that, the car drives REALLY straight and is amazing to drive. The stereo isn't bad either.

Anyone know where I can get Dunlop rear tires to match the fronts that are on the car? I think the fronts are about 2 years old.

GOOD FOR YOU on 2 counts: Snagging the car, and MATCHING THE TIRES.

but Dunlop 8000s were 30+ year-old tire technology when they were discontinued years ago! ..... you would be better off with even USED tires of any other brand.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD FOR YOU on 2 counts: Snagging the car, and MATCHING THE TIRES.

but Dunlop 8000s were 30+ year-old tire technology when they were discontinued years ago! ..... you would be better off with even USED tires of any other brand.

I'll be purchasing a new set of Kumho's this spring in time for the upcoming auto-x season. That is, if I don't find a good deal on a full set of used tires.

I'm also looking for alignment specs. This car is going to get driven, so I want to make sure the alignment is reasonably aggressive. I know Chrysler isn't known for their aggressive factory alignments.

Grailkeeper

VCA Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm a new member here on the viperclub forums, but have been interested in these cars since they came out when I was in grade school! I've been shopping around for the last couple years, and think I finally found the car I've been waiting for. The link to the ad is at the bottom of the post.

I've wanted a GTS ever since I saw the first blue and white cars at the Mopar Nationals. I plan on putting a few miles on this car in the summer, and would like to do a significant amount of SCCA Auto-x events as well.

I can't say I have a whole lot of RWD experience, but I did auto-x a 2004 SRT10 viper several years ago, and I do have a V10 powered Dodge Ram. I'm also a decent driver, as I've won several Auto-x events in my 86 Omni GLHS including FTD and FTDi.

Let me know what you guys think about this car. I'm working on getting a carfax, but the owner says the car has a clean title history and he currently has a lien on the car. I have the name of the bank the lien is with and will be contacting them to determine how to make the transaction. I will be paying cash and/or using a certified check from the bank. The seller is only about a 5 hour drive from me, so I will make payment and pick up the car in person.

Cars for Sale: 1998 Dodge Viper GTS in *******, GA 30040: Coupe Details - 292618650 - AutoTrader.com

JC.....

Your best bet is to go see the car in person and take a knowlegable Viper owner with you, preferably a guy who owns the same year your buying. Bring a flashlight and notebook and do a front to back inspection. Plan to spend at least 6 hrs with the car including a drive. Tell the seller you want him to go with you and don't be afraid to stand on it a bit. Make sure you see all records and service info. Take an oil sample and have it analyzed. Look carefully at the paint especially at the front and rear fascia. Look for paint match issues that might indicate a small crash. Take your time..remember "caveate emptor"....GK

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I already purchased the car, but did bring a flashlight and checked EVERYTHING over very carefully. The engine was smooth as silk, and the body was unbelievably clean, not even the usual swirl marks. The side skirts were slightly discolored above the catalytic converters, but that wasn't a deal breaker. While under the car, I did notice the muffler had been removed and replaced with straight pipes. Also, the hood did slightly contact the front fascia, as you can see where it lightly wore the paint in one area. The car drove unbelievably smooth and straight, and the wheels looked like they were new.

The car does need the trim piece that goes around the driver's side door handle, and it'll need a driver's side valve cover gasket before too long. Aside from that, I'm just in the market for some wheels/tires so I can auto-x this spring.

JC.....

Your best bet is to go see the car in person and take a knowlegable Viper owner with you, preferably a guy who owns the same year your buying. Bring a flashlight and notebook and do a front to back inspection. Plan to spend at least 6 hrs with the car including a drive. Tell the seller you want him to go with you and don't be afraid to stand on it a bit. Make sure you see all records and service info. Take an oil sample and have it analyzed. Look carefully at the paint especially at the front and rear fascia. Look for paint match issues that might indicate a small crash. Take your time..remember "caveate emptor"....GK

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car! Maybe others want to chime in but if your going to do some AutoX then you might want to upgrade to poly trans and engine mounts and billet steering rack mount bushings to get the car very precise to compliment your new tires.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in the poly mounts. These engine mounts seem to be right at resonance at warm idle and allow a bit of movement in the shifter. Of course, I'm not sure the engine mounts are nearly as critical as they are on my FWD autox car.

I will also be in the market for brake pads before too long. I'd honestly be fine with some stock-style pads, as you don't get too much heat in the rotors at an auto-x event. I may take the car on a road course sometime, but I think stock brakes would be fine for my level of driving skill. I'm great below 70mph, but above that... I have a LOT of learning to do.

Congrats on the car! Maybe others want to chime in but if your going to do some AutoX then you might want to upgrade to poly trans and engine mounts and billet steering rack mount bushings to get the car very precise to compliment your new tires.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Let's see some pics of this thing already! Nice to have another Viper in town!

I'll throw some pictures up tomorrow. The snow/ice finally melted off my driveway so I no longer fear sending the car sideways backing it out of the garage. The car is super-**** and I can't wait to take it out to some auto-x, road course, and drag racing events. This car should be able to do it all!

I just hope it's faster than my omni around a turn and faster than my shadow down the 1/4! I have a G-tech to establish both benchmarks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets