Why multiple threads?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still see little reason to post a thread more than twice. And twice is only acceptable(maybe)when the topic is mostly for a specific region but also has some relevance to other groups. In that case it might be ok to post in the regional section and also on the main forum sections.

I also don't get when National Officers duplicate a thread in several forums either. If the topic is only for VCA members then post it in the VCA Members section. If not then post it in the General Viper discussion section. All that multiple thread posts do is monopolize the most recently active thread section and spread the discussion over multiple threads. If it is that important then our National Officers should be able to make it a sticky in the most recent thread area. They shouldn't need to post the thread in every forum. This is a waste of resources.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of the time I hit the 'New Posts' button and start scanning for threads/posts that are interesting to me.
Interesting, I never noticed that link before, for some reason. Why not make that your shortcut on your desktop if that's the first place you usually go? .
Some people will only visit one or two areas of the website. I believe the idea of multiple posting is to get the word out to as many people as possible.

I'm still trying to find out who these people are...maybe they don't exist .

I have always gone straight to the Gen I/II forums, and usually only there. You probably won't get much response from those "mystery" people because the majority of them will never see this post in the new owner's forum.

Perhaps if the majority were to use the forums like you normally approach them, there wouldn't even be a need to separate out the posts into different forums. Then, there would be no need for multiple posts.

I think that I will try your way of visiting the forums on those occasions where I have more time to spend.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always gone straight to the Gen I/II forums, and usually only there.

It sounds like this is a time issue for you...only a few minutes to peruse the VCA Forums so you go to Gen I/II. How about the Arizona Region forum...any interest in that? Do you like looking through the other forums if you have the time or do they just not interest you? Would it have bothered you if you hadn't found out about the Texas Round Up or the PartsRack/Ohio Region Haiti auction? This is what I'm trying to find out...thanks for your reply.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like this is a time issue for you...only a few minutes to peruse the VCA Forums so you go to Gen I/II. How about the Arizona Region forum...any interest in that? Do you like looking through the other forums if you have the time or do they just not interest you? Would it have bothered you if you hadn't found out about the Texas Round Up or the PartsRack/Ohio Region Haiti auction? This is what I'm trying to find out...thanks for your reply.

I subscribe to the Arizona forum so that I get emails whenever there is a new post there. That's the only one I subscribe to. I don't care about the activities in other areas regions. I go to the Gen I/II forum to keep up with technical information posts.

If I have time; I'll look at the Gen 3/4 forum and maybe the general one since there are often general things of interest.

Oh, and I subscribe to that really long thread with the interesting pictures.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also don't get when National Officers duplicate a thread in several forums either. If the topic is only for VCA members then post it in the VCA Members section. If not then post it in the General Viper discussion section. All that multiple thread posts do is monopolize the most recently active thread section and spread the discussion over multiple threads. If it is that important then our National Officers should be able to make it a sticky in the most recent thread area. They shouldn't need to post the thread in every forum. This is a waste of resources.
Actually, when we do make the rare "multi-forum" post, it is indeed for very specific reasons and national business. A few examples:

RAFFLES: They make or break the club treasury and we will advertise them until we go blue in the face or the tickets sell out. We aren't looking for multiple discussions - just eyeballs on the raffle car so we can sell more tickets.

SRT CHATS: These are important not only for folks to know about, but for the club to have a good showing. These chats are held on other SRT-related forums and invariably bring a LOT of people to chat with the engineers. With the Viper ownership pool considerably smaller, we are often challenged with getting a good showing. This is why we have started taking questions in advance so as to assure that we keep the engineers busy for the full two hours allotted to us. The one time we had a very poor showing (so Herb, um, how's the weather in Detroit?), they almost canceled them going forward. Thus why we post something at the top of each forum when they get scheduled.

Of course now that you have two examples you will get to see them both go into action: We have our next SRT chat scheduled for Wednesday, March 3rd at 6:00 PM EST and raffle tickets for our Snakeskin Green ACR will probably go on sale later today (Thursday). Stay tuned! :2tu:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My suggestion would be not to piss him off...

You must be registered for see images attach

:lmao::rolaugh::lmao: Thats funny!

Just on a side note to the original post (not trying to stir up the debate again) but do consider the new people to these boards or the ones that do not use them often. Everyone that can comment on this thread so far I would call very VCA forum savvy. They know where the New Posts button is and they know how to use the boards and their sections.

For the others that use these boards though, it can help. I know it did for me when I first started using these boards, and I know of people now who it helps. Dont forget, we forum users are very comfortable with posting everything. Earlier today I was helping a new member just navigate the forums! He was wanting to know how to use the boards and how to post. I get these simple questions often. Many who do not spend much time on here, DO only look at their local chapter and therefore would not see some things if it were not in multiple forums.

Guess what I am trying to say is, if it is not hurting anyone, and it is not often done (in this case, someone from KY may end up at the party in question as they see it is close enough to them when they saw it listed in the KY forum), where is the harm in helping the newer members? Those of us who know this site better than the back of our hands should just ignore the multiple posts if we dont want to read them, and know that they are helping those who are not so savvy. This is the VCA. We are all here for the same reason: To enjoy the car and help others.

My 2 cents. (Ok, it was more than 2 cents! ;))

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, when we do make the rare "multi-forum" post, it is indeed for very specific reasons and national business. A few examples:

RAFFLES: They make or break the club treasury and we will advertise them until we go blue in the face or the tickets sell out. We aren't looking for multiple discussions - just eyeballs on the raffle car so we can sell more tickets.

SRT CHATS: These are important not only for folks to know about, but for the club to have a good showing. These chats are held on other SRT-related forums and invariably bring a LOT of people to chat with the engineers. With the Viper ownership pool considerably smaller, we are often challenged with getting a good showing. This is why we have started taking questions in advance so as to assure that we keep the engineers busy for the full two hours allotted to us. The one time we had a very poor showing (so Herb, um, how's the weather in Detroit?), they almost canceled them going forward. Thus why we post something at the top of each forum when they get scheduled.

Of course now that you have two examples you will get to see them both go into action: We have our next SRT chat scheduled for Wednesday, March 3rd at 6:00 PM EST and raffle tickets for our Snakeskin Green ACR will probably go on sale later today (Thursday). Stay tuned! :2tu:

Chris, why not make these posts stickys in the latest thread area or even a separate banner ad that flashes on the home page?

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just on a side note to the original post (not trying to stir up the debate again) but do consider the new people to these boards or the ones that do not use them often. Everyone that can comment on this thread so far I would call very VCA forum savvy. They know where the New Posts button is and they know how to use the boards and their sections.

For the others that use these boards though, it can help. I know it did for me when I first started using these boards, and I know of people now who it helps. Dont forget, we forum users are very comfortable with posting everything. Earlier today I was helping a new member just navigate the forums! He was wanting to know how to use the boards and how to post. I get these simple questions often. Many who do not spend much time on here, DO only look at their local chapter and therefore would not see some things if it were not in multiple forums.

Guess what I am trying to say is, if it is not hurting anyone, and it is not often done (in this case, someone from KY may end up at the party in question as they see it is close enough to them when they saw it listed in the KY forum), where is the harm in helping the newer members? Those of us who know this site better than the back of our hands should just ignore the multiple posts if we dont want to read them, and know that they are helping those who are not so savvy. This is the VCA. We are all here for the same reason: To enjoy the car and help others.

MB...Just keep your 2+ cents :D. A better idea for the newbies would be a sticky in the General Viper Discussion and/or New Owner Questions forums (or somewhere better :dunno:) that would provide some direction on how to use this site. I don't think dumbing down the entire site for newbies is the answer...just my opinion ;)...and probably on worth 1 cent.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"This is the VCA. We are all here for the same reason: To enjoy the car and help others."

I could not have said it better myself.:2tu:

The Vipers mean nothing if you can't enjoy them with your friends.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see where having 7 identical posts help us 'enjoy the car and help others'. Only one post is needed to convey the message. Why not put the posts in all 80+ forums :confused:. There are reasons that there are so many forums...I'm guessing the main one is to differentiate information. My original point is that most of the time multiple identical posts aren't needed. New users, friends, others, kids, Haitians, puppies...anyone using this forum needs to learn how to use the forum...it's one of the easiest ones that I've seen...limiting the advertising 'crap' makes it very readable and understandable. Hey, if I learned, then anybody can :2tu:.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANK YOU! That is exactly the reason I posted in the multiple forums. Just trying to get the word out as this auction is available to all VCA members. Moderators, sorry for the problem and thanks for routing it to the Ohio forum.

Randall Arnold
President VCA Ohio Region

Randall,

Seeing you brought the subject up, are you saying that the auction is open to all VCA members even if they do not attend your soiree' , or are you saying that all VCA members can attend your chapter's event? The reason why I asked is that I thought seriously about attending the event until Mapquest told me how far it is from Wisconsin. :(

thanks
Steve A.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper