Gen 3 exhaust

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You MAY need stock setup if you move to (or attempt to sell the Viper to someone living in) a state with strict emission testing.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I am the minority here, but I still use my full OEM Gen III cat-back behind by ARH headers with no cats.

Although my car produces wonderful sound and power with my ACR-X catback, I absolutely despise the loud noise and drone. In Texas, we do drive our cars 12 months out of the year. I do drive my car to work at least once a week (80 mi. round trip) and of course also take it out every weekend. The Gen III OEM exhaust was spectacularly designed for suppressing engine noise and drone, even on my cat-less heads/cam setup. At a steady 70mph cruise, I hear nothing but wind and tire noise. It literally is as quiet or quieter than when my car was completely stock. However, it screams very loud when the fat pedal hits the floor. In other words, its perfect in my book. Sure, its a little warmer than with the race exhaust, but it's manageable especially since I don't run any cats (no heat on foot wells).

I haven't dynoed with the OEM catback, but I know I am losing power when compared to the 3" ACRX exhaust. I can tell because my A/F drops from a flat 13:1 all the way down to 12.4:1. But that's okay, I am willing to give up some power just that I can drive peacefully and actually enjoy my car. Even with OEM catback, I can still spin the tires on a 60mph punch in 2nd gear :D

Needless to say, when I have a racing event, I quickly swap out to my ACRX catback. I have done this swap more than few times and typically only takes me 2-3 hrs.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3 exhaust was kinda brutal. Getting rid of the crossover pipe is huge in relation to heat in the cabin. And you wont see a need to ever want one....

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will there ever be a future need for used ones (stock configuration)?

If you follow the Mopar Camp from 40 years ago , then yes . A vintage vehicle with stock exhaust adds value . My 70 Charger R/T with date coded manifolds where worth more than headers for the same car . Depends on your time frame :) IMO

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may want to keep them incase you go to a sound restricted race track, like Laguna Seca. I have 06 with deleted crossover pipes and 2008 exhaust cans. More power more sound! I got black flagged for high sound. Putting those on before the track day would have solved the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper