SCT tune / dyno results on my 1998 GTS.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*Posting this on both Viper boards*

First off, I wanted to Thank Cody and David at A.R.T., here in Austin/Buda Texas for the excellent customer service once again. They always treat me like a friend. CORRECTION... They always ARE my friend as soon as I walk in the door or call them on the phone and that to me, is a big reason I will take my car to them, when I ALWAYS work on my own cars. If you haven't worked with ART, GIVE THEM A CALL and they will make time to set you up right with the work you need done within your budget. 512-312-2258.
American Racing Technology - BMW, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini in Buda, TX

I went with the "SCT Xcal Programmer and Tune package" by ART for $599, which included the SCT Programmer and the necessary Dyno time for a tune to be completed. This is a really good deal, knowing some cars may need more dyno time than others, so at this price, there was no question about needing to spend alot more money due to overtime on the dyno for a finicky motor.

Alot of you know about my "stockish" 98' GTS with the 01' creampuff motor in it making a little more power than typical, with the small amount of mods on the car. I just wanted to post up some info because there is not much info about SCT tunes on Gen II's out there floating around. I still haven't pulled off a valve cover (I'll try to at some point) to see if there are aftermarket rocker arms in there, but I really don't think there are. Everything is stock on the motor, except for K&N drop in filters, SVS Headers, no cats and Borla side mufflers only. Also have an aluminum fly wheel in there and now the SCT Tune done by David Weaver at ART.

I want to mention that this motor only has about 3,000 miles on it as far as I know and after inspecting it from the bottom side, it sure is clean and new under there.... I mean VERY clean. The guy I bought the car from told me the motor was brand spanking new and I have the stock headers that came off the car and there is absolutely no soot in the runners, so the motor was never ran from what I could tell (not to mention a few other little visual things as well). The only thing that is a little weird, is the valve covers do look a little aged (don't look brand spanking new) but that may be from sitting around in a warehouse for years and being moved around from place to place). With this in mind, I was not really expecting ANY gains with the SCT, but David did manage to tune it up a bit and squeeze out a few ponies to the rear wheels.

The gains were small but I wanted to post something related to SCT and Gen 2 vipers so others could find some info in the future, as I was looking myself before buying anything.

A few of the benefits with the SCT, is you can tune the car, turn your fans on a little sooner and eliminate the skip shift. It also allows you to read and clear and codes that may pop up. I had an emissions code sneak up because of no cats, which David cleared for me, so this will come in handy if I need to clear anything before inspections. I'm still trying to read up and learn more of how to use the SCT, but as of now, I got a tune, so I am happy. I still want to figure out how to eliminate the skip shift and mess with the fans.

GTS_SCT_Tune_Dyno.JPG

Here is an OLDER dyno sheet from a few months ago, where you can see A/F. It was cooler out when I had the car dynod at this time. As you can see, it was still putting down about the same, without a tune.

GTSARTDyno.JPG

So if you are considering a tune and want to remain reasonably stock, then an SCT may be the tuner for you. Alot of people do use an SCT as a secondary tuner, with higher horsepower applications, along with their primary tuner, because the SCT does have a little functionality that some other tuners do not. Hopefully some of you will find this info useful as you make plans for your Viper. I do know on the SCT website, SCT Dodge / Chrysler Custom Tuning Products a Gen 4 gained about 10HP and 25TQ. Depending on how your car is running, results will vary. I think most Gen II's pick up a little more than the Gen 4 from what I have read.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met Cody and Dave at Bradenton this past year. Great group of guys!

Congrats on the tune. I'm hearing good stuff about SCT for NA, supercharged, and turbo vipers.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$100 per hp? :dunno:

Well, that was just for my case... I still have the tuner for re-tuning as mods are added. Like I said, I knew my car wasn't going to pick up much because it's a strong running motor already, but I was willing to check it out.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody is interested in the SCT flash, I have a brand new one I purchased from Sean Roe that I never had a chance to use. It has three tunes in it (tune -light head work, t-stat, flywheel, catback, ad wires). Seam has agreed to offer anyone who buys it three tunes for $100 (regular $75 each). Selling for $500 and again this has never been hooked up to my car so no VIN log, nothing.
Sorry for Hi jacking.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Vec3 (>$1K) and I'd say the price you paid for your SCT and dyno tune is a steal. I think the SCT units alone are ~$600 or so and most shops will charge $100/hr or more for a dyno tune. I think overall for a stock to mildly modified engine the SCT is the way to go as it can tune closed AND open loop as well as control simple parameters such as fan turn on temps, skip shift, etc. I hear the SCT also works great for boosted/built engines. Gains are going to depend on what the particular Viper is doing. We recently had a dyno day in my region. Most of the Vipers were running pig rich, 10's, with just a catback and/or stock engine. I think these folks, based on what I saw, could pick up another 30-40hp. A tune can greatly benefit those folks. Other Vipers were slightly off on the AFR but probably not enough to warrant a tune. I think Dave brings up a good point on the $ for HP on the tunes but that's going to vary by Viper. All in all, your graph looks great.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add perspective... The weight savings of my side exhaust conversion (not that I did that mod for the weight) versus the applied hp gain of said weight savings (10 pounds/hp) came to about $1000 per hp for the 40 pounds I shed. Because I spent many thousands...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post!! I've been tracking the SCT stuff just to see when someone pipes-in with my issues. Hasn't happened so here I go. I'd like to be able to program the SCT myself vice having to go to/thru a tuner..thus why I like the VEC. But I'd like to get the PCM to do all it is capable of doing vice having to have the VEC. The SCT website gives NO info as to why an ordinary guy can't get the complete tuning package. They want to force you to become a tuner or utilize a tuner. That's what I dislike. At least post what it costs for the training and tuning software. If its that cost prohibitive..then I understand that's probably why a normal JOE won't head down that path. I'd like to be able to tune for forced injection via the SCT taking into account larger injector offsets, individual cylinder fuel trims, aftermarket 3bar MAP, ecetera and get rid of the piggypack solution. Right now I have no idea how the SCT takes into account these parameters like the VEC does. Also I would assume you lose ability to data log and control PWM outputs like the VEC provides. Thus why folks are doing the SCT and keeping the VEC for these other needs. Just postulating some questions and trying to get my head around this entire saga of this new capability to be had with the SCT.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post!! I've been tracking the SCT stuff just to see when someone pipes-in with my issues. Hasn't happened so here I go. I'd like to be able to program the SCT myself vice having to go to/thru a tuner..thus why I like the VEC. But I'd like to get the PCM to do all it is capable of doing vice having to have the VEC. The SCT website gives NO info as to why an ordinary guy can't get the complete tuning package. They want to force you to become a tuner or utilize a tuner. That's what I dislike. At least post what it costs for the training and tuning software. If its that cost prohibitive..then I understand that's probably why a normal JOE won't head down that path. I'd like to be able to tune for forced injection via the SCT taking into account larger injector offsets, individual cylinder fuel trims, aftermarket 3bar MAP, ecetera and get rid of the piggypack solution. Right now I have no idea how the SCT takes into account these parameters like the VEC does. Also I would assume you lose ability to data log and control PWM outputs like the VEC provides. Thus why folks are doing the SCT and keeping the VEC for these other needs. Just postulating some questions and trying to get my head around this entire saga of this new capability to be had with the SCT.

I'm still learning myself. Here is a copy / paste of the instructions to help give you a little more idea:

XCalibrator 2 User Instructions

Read This in Its Entirety Before Using!

How to use the Xcalibrator 2:

Plug the OBD-II connector into the port under the dash of the vehicle you wish to program. Some vehicles may have a panel that needs to be removed to access it.
With the key off, use the up and down arrows to navigate through the main menu.

Main menu options include:

DTC/Data Menu:
Read DTCs Display trouble codes
Clear DTCs Clear all DTCs
Read Strategy Displays factory PCM code
Program Vehicle:
Custom Tune Choose custom tune to
program into vehicle
Return to Stock Available after vehicle is
Programmed
Display Dealer: Displays opening message screen
LCD Contrast:
Sel to Save Adjusts LCD contrast

Vehicle Diagnostics
The Xcalibrator 2 can read and erase DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) on the LCD display. This feature will work on any Ford based OBD2 vehicle.

The Xcalibrator 2 can also read the Strategy of the vehicle, This is very useful on vehicles that have been reflashed to a updated calibration. This feature can ensure your SCT dealer programs your vehicle with the newest release calibration.

Program Vehicle Menu:
First disconnect the fuel pump and electric fan fuses. From the main menu, scroll down to the Program vehicle menu and press select. Here you select what file type you want to install into the vehicle, Custom Tune or Return to Stock.
.In the Custom Tune menu, use the up and down arrow keys to select the file you want to program onto your vehicle. With that file displayed, press the select button to start the flashing process.

Turn the key on when prompted on the LCD display.

If there are user adjustable options available for that file, the display will read Enter Opt Parms? (Enter Option Parameters) which will allow you to make minor changes to the file. Press the Cancel button to skip the custom options and go straight to the flashing process.

User Adjustable Options: Press the Select button to enable custom tune options. Using the up and down arrows navigate through the selectable options. Press the select button to make a change to that category. Press select when finished with that category to choose the next category. Repeat until finished. Once you have made all of your changes press the Cancel button to start the flashing process.

Once the flashing process is complete, the display will display “Program Complete, Press Select” followed by “Turn key off, Press Select” Turn the key off and press select. Your vehicle is now programmed and you can unplug the Xcalibrator 2.

Other Information:
Once the Xcalibrator 2 has been used to program a vehicle, the flashing capability will be locked to that vehicle until that vehicle has been put back to stock. Once the first vehicle was put to stock, the Xcalibrator 2 can be reprogrammed for another compatible Ford vehicle by any SCT dealer.

Error Recovery:
In the event the Xcalibrator2 does not successfully flash the vehicle, it will display a error message on the LCD display. If this occurs, you will want to recover the EEC by turning the key off, following the menu options to Program Vehicle, and under Program Option, choose the “Return to Stock” option. This will install the stock file back into the vehicle and allow you to attempt to reflash the vehicle with the custom program.

Data Logging:
The Xcalibrator 2 can be used as a high speed data logger on any Ford based OBD2 vehicle. A standard USB cable is needed to connect the Xcalibrator 2 to a PC using the Live Link Software available for download on our website www.sctflash.com

Data Logging is not locked to a certain vehicle and can be used on any compatible vehicle at any time.

Analog Inputs:
The Xcalibrator 2 can data log auxiliary analog inputs from 0-5 volts. You will need a 9 pin mini Din connector for the application. This cable is available from your SCT dealer.

XCalibrator2 Future Releases
SCT values our customers, and we want you to know that as we improve the features and capabilities of the XCalibrator2 you will have the opportunity to get software updates online. Your new XCalibrator2 includes internet-based firmware updates. As SCT adds new features to this product, you will be able to download and install updates from the internet. The following are just a few of the updates planned, and will be available for your product *. These updates will be available before the end of 2005.

- Real time on-screen data logging and data recording
o This feature will allow you to view real-time data of PID and DMR values on the screen of your XCalibrator2. You will also be able to record data and download it to a personal computer.

- End user adjustable parameters
o When Advantage 3.0 dealer software is released to this summer, participating SCT dealers will offer custom tuning files that have user options*. User options can be setup to allow on-screen adjustment of spark, air/fuel, tire size, axle ratio, shift points, shift firmness, MAF sensors, injectors, and much more. With user options, you can make small changes to your tune without the use of a laptop.

- Analog input display
o In a future update, your XCalibrator2 will be able to display an air-fuel ratio on the device screen for supported wideband O2 sensor kits. These Wideband O2 sensors will plug into an analog input on the XCalibrator2.

* Some updates and options will only work for certain vehicle models or years

Other information & Disclaimers:
On 1994-1997 Vehicles you must disconnect the battery after flashing for 30 seconds to ensure a proper reset of the keep alive memory.

The Xcalibrator 2 and Live Link data logging software should not be used by the operator of a motor vehicle while driving. Always obey local traffic laws.

If using to data log an EEC-V vehicle with a chip installed, you must use a special adapter cable to data log the vehicle. This is necessary to keep the Xcalibrator 2 and the chip communications from interfering with each other. These cables are available from your dealer or SCT directly at (407) 774 2447

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xcalibrator 2 DCX User Instructions​
Read This in Its Entirety Before Using!
Thank you for your purchase of the Dodge/Chrysler (DCX) Xcalibrator 2, this tool
has been designed to allow you to load performance tunes into your OBDII DCX
Vehicle, with the ability to return to your stock tune if desired for dealer visits.
Whenever you take your vehicle in for service, if modifications permit, always flash
the vehicle back to stock tune file.​
How to use the Xcalibrator 2:​
Plug the OBD-II connector into the port under the dash of the vehicle you wish to
program. Some vehicles may have a panel that needs to be removed to access it.
With the key off, use the up and down arrows to navigate through the main menu.​
Menu options include:
Program Vehicle:​
Custom Tune Choose custom tune to
Program into vehicle
Return to Stock Available after vehicle is
Programmed​
DTC/Data Menu:​
Read DTCs Display trouble codes
Clear DTCs Clear all DTCs
Battery Voltage Displays OBD2 port voltage
Read ECM Info Displays PCM part number
and vehicle VIN number.​
Display Dealer Info:​
Displays opening message screen

LCD Contrast:​
Sel to Save Adjusts LCD contrast​
Device Info​
Displays Firmware and Serial number.

Vehicle Diagnostics:​
The Xcalibrator 2 can read and clear DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) on the LCD
display. This feature will work on any supported DCX based OBD2 vehicle.
The Xcalibrator 2 can also read the PCM Part number of the vehicle, this part
number is necessary to allow our software to open your factory file as a starting
point.
2​
Program Vehicle Menu:​
The first menu is the Program​
Vehicle menu.. Here you can select what file
you want to load onto your vehicle. You will get a menu
Tune Vehicle, or

Return to Stock​
. In the Tune Vehicle menu, use the up and down arrow
keys to select the file you want to program onto your vehicle. With that file
displayed, press the select button to start the flashing process. During the course
of the flashing process, you may have to press select, or turn the key on/off.
Follow the directions on the LCD display.

Sample Programming Sequence, 2004-5 SRT-4:​
Program Vehicle​
Press Select

SEL to Begin​
Choose option, Tune Vehicle, or Return to Stock, then press select​
Tune Vehicle
SEL to Begin
Return to Stock
SEL to Begin​
Once you press select, you will be prompted to turn the key on​
Turn Key On
Leave Engine Off​
Due to the nature of the Dodge PCM, if you wait too long you will get an error.​
Error 14 – SCI
ERR​
Scroll up and down to select tune file to load into vehicle, these names are
programmed from our software, so names will vary. Press select once you have
selected the tune file you want to load​
SCT Tune 1​
Once you have selected the tune, you may be prompted to turn the key off​
Turn Key Off
Press SELECT
Turn Key On
Leave Engine Off​
If you wit too long to turn the key on may get an error​
ECM Unlock Failed​

Once you have turned the key back on the device will start to save stock​
Saving Stock…
XX% Done
Checking Stock
XX Done
Initializing…
Turn Key Off
Press Select​
After the key is turned off, you will go through the module power down procedure,
and then be prompted to turn the key back on.​
Module Powerdown
Leave Engine OFF
Turn Key On
Please Wait XX
Erasing Memory
Programming
XX Done
Turn Key OFF
Press Select
Success!
Press Select​
Now your vehicle is tuned, to return to stock, select the Return to Stock option​
Other Information:​
Once the Xcalibrator 2 has been used to program a vehicle, the flashing capability
will be locked to that vehicle​
Error Recovery:​
In the event the Xcalibrator2 does not successfully flash the vehicle, it will display
an error message on the LCD display. If this occurs, you will want to recover the
PCM by turning the key off, following the menu options to Program Vehicle, and
under Program Option, choose the “Return to Stock” option. This will install the
stock file back into the vehicle and allow you to attempt to reflash the vehicle with
the custom program again.
4​
Chrysler/Dodge (DCX)
Xcalibrator 2 User’s Guide​
:

SCT Part number: 9550
PCM Part Number_________________________
Custom File Descriptions:
Program 1____________________________________________
Program 2____________________________________________
Program 3____________________________________________​
SCT LLC, 975 Florida Central Parkway Suite 1900, Longwood FL 32750