Transmission Gear Oil - Interesting Report

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fiend just sent me an interesting report on testing different gear (transmission) oils. If this report has already been discussed, I apologize. I was just going to file it, however, I saw it included the Mopar synthetic oil we use in our transmissions. I have used the Mopar synthetic product for over ten years, but, this test report does not rank it very high.

If you do want to waste time, just go to the results. Page 19.

You must be registered for see images attach

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did note a couple of things:

a). The test was done by and for the Amsoil Drive-train Division. The winner was Amsoil. I'd like to see additional unbiased objective reports performed by an outside testing firm with no close tied association to Amsoil, before formulating a concrete opinion.

b). The test was accomplished in 2007. A lot has changed between then and now. I'd like to see a more recent study.

But, this report does bring up interesting questions pursuant proper lubrication issues relevant drive-trains in high performance vehicles. It is certainly thought provoking.

Thanks for posting.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jack...interesting info.

As I see it, this seems to have been done by Amsoil (AMSOIL Drivetrain
Division
September 2007 AMSOIL INC.) as printed on the front page. This DOES NOT
appear to have been done by an independent testing lab...nor is it coming from a
peer reviewed professional journal as far as I can tell. It could all be
true...but it still smells like "fish oil" to me, thereby undermining the
credibility of the "study" (advertisement???) :)

Mopar product studied was "Mopar Synthetic 75W-90 with Mopar LS
additive"...which has NOTHING to do with Vipers !!!

Still, an interesting read...THANKS !!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do want to waste time, just go to the results. Page 19.

That is exactly what amsoils marketing department wants you to do. Skip to the results that show our product is the best. Nevermind that the above tests might not be accurately testing the product for the specific app it is supposed to be used for.

Our Fluids guru Tom has never mentioned Amsoil except but this one time commenting on how one of their tests that is bragged about in marketing dosnt even apply to the application it is used for.

No, I am not saying RP is not worth the money, maybe they have the best oil. It's that an independent arbitration has found they aren't 100% accurate in what they say about the performance of their product. Castrol had the silly TV ads with engines on dynos that ran until they drained the oil out (only the Castrol engine kept going), Amsoil does all the 4-Ball testing (which doesn't apply to engine oils) vs. competitors (except Amsoil does best), Quaker has the ghostly horses run next to your car and says you get power and so on. They all push the limits of marketing. The fact is that they are more the same than they are different, because the physics of lubrication says you cannot get more than a few horsepower difference between any of them.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust amzoil at all, their products don't perform as advertised, I don't want to stereotype them, but I've personally caught some of their employees being totally dishonest, personally I can't trust them anymore.

csmwiese

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There most likely is not that much different between the oils.........the #1 problem with the oil in the transmission or rear differential is lack of maintenance and #2 is not repairing a leak...even the smallest of leaks will come back to bite you, fluid gets low over time…temps rise or lack of lube=failure. You will probably never have a failure due to an oil issue if you use any of these oils or whatever oil you choose....your failure will be driver driving habits related

Clint
1997 GTS

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Jack...interesting info.

As I see it, this seems to have been done by Amsoil (AMSOIL Drivetrain
Division
September 2007 AMSOIL INC.) as printed on the front page. This DOES NOT
appear to have been done by an independent testing lab...nor is it coming from a
peer reviewed professional journal as far as I can tell. It could all be
true...but it still smells like "fish oil" to me, thereby undermining the
credibility of the "study" (advertisement???) :)

Mopar product studied was "Mopar Synthetic 75W-90 with Mopar LS
additive"...which has NOTHING to do with Vipers !!!

Still, an interesting read...THANKS !!!

I took the Mopar oil description to mean the 75-90W used in the T56 since 2000?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jack, I see your point...as I took it to mean that tested lube was to be used in differential (Vipers use Mopar 75W-140 plus limited slip juice) and not tranny (which from 1999 through 2006 used 75W-85) !! Who Knows !!!! :)

Even good science and/or tests, if presented poorly, can be very concerning to anyone familiar with scientific methods and publications.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I talked with a person in the Tremeck Transmission Booth @ a car show last year & he told me the best oil to use in my 06 transmission was Mobil One Syn. ATF Fluid. Anyone use this ? :feedback:

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, I see your point...as I took it to mean that tested lube was to be used in differential (Vipers use Mopar 75W-140 plus limited slip juice) and not tranny (which from 1999 through 2006 used 75W-85) !! Who Knows !!!! :)

Even good science and/or tests, if presented poorly, can be very concerning to anyone familiar with scientific methods and publications.

The Mopar truck gear lube and the T56 gear lube are 75-95, I have four quarts on my shelf. I doubt Mopar has two types of synthetic 75-95.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jack, My point is that we are interested if VIPER fluids. A quick review of
Viper fluid schedules from the 1992 through 2009 Service Manuals and/or CD's
will reveal that ALL Vipers use the MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant
SAE 75W-140 P/N 04874469AA (MS-8985)...for differential...along with MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive
Friction Modifier" P/N 04318060AB

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469 (MS-8985)
is pictured below:

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You are correct...I mis-read !!

As noted...Mopar product studied above was "Mopar Synthetic 75W-90 with Mopar LS
additive"
Would like to see how the Viper correct transmission fluid ..."Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85" (OEM for 99-06 Vipers...plus used as a substitute in 94-98 Vipers being treated for severe NGR under TSB)
would have compared to others.
) ubder TSB) un under TSB

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read it a little closer and believe the test is diff oil. I had to reference it to the website to figure it out.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your paitence, Jack. I guess that I'll never quite get over automatically assigning the term "gear oil" to use in differentials!! I must admit that if we used the Vipers in track settings, I would push harder to explore optimal fluids for specific purposes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper