Thinking about purchasing a rebuilt title 2006 Viper, what do you think?

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2006 SRT-10 Coupe

At $36,800 with 3 wheels that need to be reconditioned and a rebuilt title, what do you think about this car?
I was look at the 3rd gen because I have read here that they are just better as daily drivers so hoping to get something in the range of 30-40k.
2006 is what I want because it has the coupe and I just like the way they look better than the convertible.

I am not sure how much it costs to recondition the wheels but I see that new wheels cost anywhere from 700-1000 bucks so I would have to check on reconditioning prices.

The mileage is super low and I am not too worried about a rebuilt title but I also do not understand why so many people actually are worried about rebuilt titles, if there is some major reason people shy away from that then let me know.

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that your viper or friends? Of course I'd like to see the damage if you have them hehe.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in my opinion before you pull the trigger have someone with knowledge of these cars inspect it for frame and and other major components, even if it costs you money for someone to go there and do complete inspection. yes its rebuilt but who did it and who it was done is different issue. there is a reason why insurance totaled the car. there have been multiple threads on salvage cars and of course its a great way to save money but beware buy once not twice. good luck

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link ViperJeff, appreciate that!
I'll do a bit of research if I decide to go with that car and see if I could get someone in that area to inspect it for any type of frame damage and make sure it was repaired properly because it kind of looks like that rear passenger wheel is bent from the picture but that may just be the angle.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Good luck, When I first saw it I tried to envision how one could do that. Only thing I could imagine was a series of spins leading to some off roading

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If repaired proper a salvage is a great way to go. Make sure it was done right.

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only been looking at them for a week and that seems to be a pretty nice price for a 2006 from what I have seen and low mileage. If it were not wrecked I would think it would be priced at about 44k or so, the body looks to be repaired well at least on the outside.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont plan on selling it easily down the line and if the repairs were done right, a salvage title is not a bad way to get more bang for your buck.

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents....if you do ever plan on selling it...a rebuilt title will eliminate 70% of potential buyers looking for that approximate year/color. I know I personally would not entertain buying a rebuilt title simply due to the difficulties selling it. If you never plan on selling it...then do as others have suggested and have it checked out closely. Let us know what you end up doing.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) For Jeff to have pictures of the damage of the car is a HUGE benefit. I can't believe he has access to that, how amazing. In this case, the damage (from what i can see) is very repairable
2) I have known MANY with rebuilt titles, if done right, they are hugely enjoyable. There are parts a-plenty, so it's not a big feat to get a car done right, but i would ask for repair receipts
3) Mirroring above comments, you will have a nightmare selling it, so just think of this as a forever car, like a kit car, they have a reduced market, but who cares if it's your baby right?

There are actually some very well known viper guys over the years who's first viper was a salvage, there's no shame in it, just go in eyes wide open.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck, When I first saw it I tried to envision how one could do that. Only thing I could imagine was a series of spins leading to some off roading

Yes, kind of looks like it ended up with a pole embedded in front of the right side door.

I just looked at several other sad Vipers on the site that came from. Makes me wonder how many Vipers per week are put up for salvage auction/sale across the country to be rebuilt or parted out.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more that it got caught on something on the under carriage and pulled the exhaust off.... the hard way

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright well I just put a non-refundable $500 deposit down on it. If the inspection tomorrow goes well I will be the proud new owner of a rebuilt title 2006 viper ;)

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has time to look at the inspection report and cares to give their opinion I will appreciate it.
The only thing the inspector noticed was the wheels which I already knew about so not too concerned, believe it is just fine.
I do not know what I am looking at when he has pics of the under carriage though.

Here is the link to the pdf file in drop box: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvfxbheaikgj2pn/Dodge Viper.pdf?dl=0

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend said it is missing the transfer case which transfers the power to the wheels unless it is hidden somewhere under the black undercarriage. Do you guys know where this is?

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend said it is missing the transfer case which transfers the power to the wheels unless it is hidden somewhere under the black undercarriage. Do you guys know where this is?

Your friend is an idiot, the viper has a rear differential and its hidden...Just sayin.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your friend is an idiot, the viper has a rear differential and its hidden...Just sayin.

LOL! Too true. The inspector reports he rode in the car with the seller driving. I guess your friend is saying that the inspector forgot to mention that it was on the end of a tow rope.

The thing that would concern me is that the inspection wasn't done by a respected body shop. One of the things that I would definitely closely inspect is the right rear knuckle where the tie rod for controlling the rear wheel toe-in is connected. If the right rear wheel smacked something (can't tell if that's the damaged wheel) that is a known weak point that is vulnerable to damage in an impact; and, I believe can start out sometimes as a tiny crack that can propagate and fail later. It may not break dramatically at the initial impact, IMHO. There is even an aftermarket toe link support bracket to strengthen it. http://www.viperpartsusa.com/catFrame.php?prodCat=15C

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks AZTVR, I will have that looked at as soon as I get it!

I'd suggest getting that toe link support even if they don't see a crack. There are two photos along with the product that show a broken one. It may be too hard to see. There are folks on the forum that think there have been failures without even any incident having happened. I doubt that; but, the incident may have been so minor that they didn't think that it could cause a fracture. A post just in the last few weeks was made by someone who had experienced this kind of failure.

NMviperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm a few weeks late into this discussion, and I believe you already purchased it. But rule of thumb when buying a salvaged or reconditioned title is it should be 25%-50% lower value than the same car with a clean title. I had a buddy that would buy from the auto auction salvaged cars fix them and sell them. I don't know how much you paid for it since the posting has been removed but I hope it was priced accordingly. If fixed right salvaged or reconditioned shouldn't scare you away. Frame damage is easily fixed with a frame puller, and if it was just cosmetics even better! Your friend really is an idiot though... Transfer cases are for 4x4 or AWD cars...

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering about people who have purchased rebuilt title cars, I have owned mine for almost 2 years now and don't regret a single thing! Great discounted buy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper