Tail of the Dragon 2014

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tail of the Dragon Event scheduled for May 30 - June 1. Make plans to attend. It will be better than ever. Last year over 60 cars. This year, who knows? Great roads, great folks, and lots of VIPERS!

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK here is the latest. We are up to over 30 room reserved already and it is not even March yet. We have the parade permit in hand. Crystelle Creek Grill and the Cherokee Grill have been notified we are coming. We are working on getting the same weather we had last year - ie. perfect! Caravans from the north, south, east, and west have been planned. Special TOD T-shirts will be available in short and long sleeve - reserve yours now. The twisty and turny roads will be ready - will you?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may try to make it down this year....try every year, but it never seems to work out.

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to have everyone.

Greystone Lodge (at the Aquarium)
559 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Phone (800) 451-9202

Be sure to state you are with the Viper group. Dates are May 30-June 1 but rates are less for Monday-Friday and higher on weekends. Lots of folks are coming early. Give me a call if you have questions - 615-308-3358
I am in, can you post the hotel contact info?

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for organizing this Joel, this will be my first time in a real sports car. I drove through once in a rental RV loaded with kids, pretty scary, and I am sure not the same experience as in a Viper... We will get the word out here in Florida too.

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This sounds like a ton of fun !! Jim and I have always wanted to do this. It sounds like Joel has rustled up a GREAT turnout.... good job ! We can't make it this year but I know you guys will post lots of pictures. I 'll bet plenty of people are taking their Go Pro cameras!

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a bit long and subject to some changes as necessary. We have added some things for Thursday as many folks are coming in early. Please let me know about dinner at the Park Vista so we can advise on seating and food. We would also like to have cars that want to be in the filming that day to be ready to go about noon as the helicopter will only be for one hour.

We have 57 rooms booked so it seems we will have at least 75 Vipers maybe more. I know some are planning to bring trailers and we will find spots but the hotel lot might be crowded and you could possibly have to leave your trailer at another location.

I have had lots of folks order t-shirts and we are going to send the order off soon. I think you will be happy with the quality of what we have done but I would recommend ordering one size larger to allow for shrinkage. Apparently overseas folks are not our size. (No offense as I am XXL.) If you want a shirt please let me know. If you would like additional confirmation about your order, please contact me again. Short sleeve shirts are $20, long sleeve $25. We plan to order some extras but don't be left out. email: [email protected]

We will have copies of the itinerary at the Greystone Lodge for early arrivals and Friday night at Crystelle Creek. We will also have copies of the route to Douglas Lake and the BBQ there. Please let us know if you plan to attend so we can order enough food. Our treat. BYOB.

We look forward to a great, safe event. Look forward to seeing all of you soon. Let me know if you have questions.

2014 Tail of the Dragon Agenda

Thursday May 29

Helicopter filming on 441N above Gatlinburg – 1:00 pm Driving time till afternoon for early birds. We will leave the hotel at 12:00 noon so we can be ready. First shot probably at the parking area above Gatlinburg.

Dinner at Doubletree Park Vista – great view of city and mountains, buffet dinner to include prime rib – special for us. Time to be 6:00 pm or thereabouts. Need to know if you are coming so we can make arrangements with the restaurant for seating.

Friday May 30

Meeting in Knoxville and other areas for Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, drive to Gatlinburg. Breakfast in Knoxville at 8:00 am. Start assembling cars at 8:45 am.

Leave Knoxville Campbell Station Area at 9:00 am. EST. Drive is about 90 miles to Tellico Plains.

Arrive Tellico Plains about 11:00-11:30. Break for gas and food and meet up with other groups. Leave for Gatlinburg no later than 12:30 pm. Possible stop at Deal’s Gap. Driving distance just over 100 miles.

Arrive in Gatlinburg about 3:30 – 4:00 pm. Check in Greystone Lodge.

Leave for Crystelle Creek Grill about 5-5:30 pm. Pick up t-shirts. Dinner about 6:30-7:00. Door prizes to be given away during this time. Announce plans and times for Saturday.

Saturday May 31

Leave for Douglas Lake and Akley Party about 10:00 am. Police will block off lights to keep everyone together. Lunch provide by AL/TN Club.

Tail of the Dragon Round II group to leave at 10:30 am.

Return to hotel by late afternoon – freshen up before parade.

Parade lineup will start at 5:45 or 6:00 pm at staging area. Cars should stagger on road so the photographer can get each car individually. NOT side by side. Dinner at Cherokee Grill at about 6:30. Parking is set up behind the Cherokee Grill but some spillover might have to take place across the street. Unfortunately this is a pay lot and we will try to make arrangements. Return to hotel about 9:00 pm so individual merriment can begin.

Sunday June 1

Check out, check cars, say goodbye, and head home or drives around the area on your own. Smile all the way home and plan for coming back next year.

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time for the Ackley party is now 9:30 am and the TOD II group will leave at 10:00 am.

This is a bit long and subject to some changes as necessary. We have added some things for Thursday as many folks are coming in early. Please let me know about dinner at the Park Vista so we can advise on seating and food. We would also like to have cars that want to be in the filming that day to be ready to go about noon as the helicopter will only be for one hour.

We have 57 rooms booked so it seems we will have at least 75 Vipers maybe more. I know some are planning to bring trailers and we will find spots but the hotel lot might be crowded and you could possibly have to leave your trailer at another location.

I have had lots of folks order t-shirts and we are going to send the order off soon. I think you will be happy with the quality of what we have done but I would recommend ordering one size larger to allow for shrinkage. Apparently overseas folks are not our size. (No offense as I am XXL.) If you want a shirt please let me know. If you would like additional confirmation about your order, please contact me again. Short sleeve shirts are $20, long sleeve $25. We plan to order some extras but don't be left out. email: [email protected]

We will have copies of the itinerary at the Greystone Lodge for early arrivals and Friday night at Crystelle Creek. We will also have copies of the route to Douglas Lake and the BBQ there. Please let us know if you plan to attend so we can order enough food. Our treat. BYOB.

We look forward to a great, safe event. Look forward to seeing all of you soon. Let me know if you have questions.

2014 Tail of the Dragon Agenda

Thursday May 29

Helicopter filming on 441N above Gatlinburg – 1:00 pm Driving time till afternoon for early birds. We will leave the hotel at 12:00 noon so we can be ready. First shot probably at the parking area above Gatlinburg.

Dinner at Doubletree Park Vista – great view of city and mountains, buffet dinner to include prime rib – special for us. Time to be 6:00 pm or thereabouts. Need to know if you are coming so we can make arrangements with the restaurant for seating.

Friday May 30

Meeting in Knoxville and other areas for Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, drive to Gatlinburg. Breakfast in Knoxville at 8:00 am. Start assembling cars at 8:45 am.

Leave Knoxville Campbell Station Area at 9:00 am. EST. Drive is about 90 miles to Tellico Plains.

Arrive Tellico Plains about 11:00-11:30. Break for gas and food and meet up with other groups. Leave for Gatlinburg no later than 12:30 pm. Possible stop at Deal’s Gap. Driving distance just over 100 miles.

Arrive in Gatlinburg about 3:30 – 4:00 pm. Check in Greystone Lodge.

Leave for Crystelle Creek Grill about 5-5:30 pm. Pick up t-shirts. Dinner about 6:30-7:00. Door prizes to be given away during this time. Announce plans and times for Saturday.

Saturday May 31

Leave for Douglas Lake and Ackley Party about 10:00 am. Police will block off lights to keep everyone together. Lunch provide by AL/TN Club.

Tail of the Dragon Round II group to leave at 10:30 am.

Return to hotel by late afternoon – freshen up before parade.

Parade lineup will start at 5:45 or 6:00 pm at staging area. Cars should stagger on road so the photographer can get each car individually. NOT side by side. Dinner at Cherokee Grill at about 6:30. Parking is set up behind the Cherokee Grill but some spillover might have to take place across the street. Unfortunately this is a pay lot and we will try to make arrangements. Return to hotel about 9:00 pm so individual merriment can begin.

Sunday June 1

Check out, check cars, say goodbye, and head home or drives around the area on your own. Smile all the way home and plan for coming back next year.

ViperWally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to have everyone.

Greystone Lodge (at the Aquarium)
559 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Phone (800) 451-9202

Be sure to state you are with the Viper group. Dates are May 30-June 1 but rates are less for Monday-Friday and higher on weekends. Lots of folks are coming early. Give me a call if you have questions - 615-308-3358

Made my room reservations SEE EVERYONE there....

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to believe a week ago we just finished up another Tail of the Dragon event. Over 75 Vipers in attendance - almost 40,000 horsepower! Thanks everyone for coming. Next year is the 10th anniversary and we're shooting for 100 cars. Don't miss it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper