New owner, '00, LOW miles, what to be concerned about?

unconscionable

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all!

New to the club and entirely new to Vipers! This one is a beauty -- only 2400 miles and looks showroom new.

I'm wondering what parts I should replace for maintenance, any other concerns I should have, and where to buy these parts.

From my post on another forum and talking to someone on the phone, it seems I need...

- engine gaskets
- power steering pump
- serpentine belt
- all new fluids (of course)

Thank you and happy to be here! :D

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't say what year, and the year matters. I'm not a big fan of fixing those things that are not broken. Fluids are a good idea, but belts, hoses, power steering pump, maybe not. I've been an owner since the late 90's and have owned 6 Vipers, and I wrench on quite a few others. Have a competent tech take a look if you're not sure. And good luck and enjoy your car.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you didn't say what year, and the year matters. I'm not a big fan of fixing those things that are not broken. Fluids are a good idea, but belts, hoses, power steering pump, maybe not. I've been an owner since the late 90's and have owned 6 vipers, and i wrench on quite a few others. Have a competent tech take a look if you're not sure. And good luck and enjoy your car.

based on the title, i'm going with

lol .

OP
OP
U

unconscionable

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't say what year, and the year matters. I'm not a big fan of fixing those things that are not broken. Fluids are a good idea, but belts, hoses, power steering pump, maybe not. I've been an owner since the late 90's and have owned 6 Vipers, and I wrench on quite a few others. Have a competent tech take a look if you're not sure. And good luck and enjoy your car.

Thanks, Steve! It's a 2000. I'm a guy who typically buys new cars so this is unchartered territory. I've heard garage queens can develop their own sets of problems, such as fuel injectors rotting, and was curious if there was any general maintenance advice for purchasing such a car. I've only driven her a few miles thus far because I'm reluctant to before changing fluids, pads, and tires.

Right now, all I can tell is that the pedals are super wobbly (bought pedal improvement kit and new pedal set) and the exhaust is way too quiet and sounds a bit....er... truck-ish. I want to hear that V10 roar!

The tires are quite brittle, which is to be expected, however, I'm having trouble finding replacements. Only found Toyo Proxes R888 on Tirerack. My assumption is all modern vehicles with such wide tires are likely to be 20" or above.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

ND4SPDLSC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought a really clean garage queen. You should change all the fluids and the tires. If the battery isn't recent, I'd replace it. I went with BF Goodrich but Pirelli may have something available. Saving the tires would be worthwhile if the car goes up for sale. They are date coded. For the cost of these cars, you're much better off buying a modified car or a higher mileage car than modifying yours. The ROI is much, much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper