Brake Fluid recycle kit, Snakeoyl type

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone got this fitted to their gen 2 ?

I need some help with the plumbing from the Master cylinder to the brake combination valve (which line goes to which port etc)

If anyone has some pics or instructions, I would be very grateful

Thanks Mark.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are the lines the same size? thought they would be a differant size

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I sent an email to Snakeoyl but the thing is, I got the parts second hand (not from Snakeoyl directly) so, as yet I have had no response from them. Ive got the caliper end sorted with new stainless lines etc. But Im sure I have to blank off one of the ports on the combination valve? Now being as the Brakes are a fairly important bit of the car, I want to make sure I plumb it in right :D

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are the lines the same size? thought they would be a different size
The Hard lines are all bent at different angles and one of the hard lines screws into the combination valve, but I want to make sure I screw it into the correct port. The same with the hard line that goes into the master cylinder I need to know if it screws into the front port or the rear port? I dont want to make any mistakes!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha...I didn't see any recyclers on the SnakeOyl site, but there are several brake fluid recirculators. Do you have a picture of this gizmo?

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha...I didn't see any recyclers on the SnakeOyl site, but there are several brake fluid recirculators. Do you have a picture of this gizmo?
The recycle system is in the latest catalouge on page 18 if you download the PDF File,via the website :)

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, found it. That is a pile of lines to sort out on that system! Hopefully they get back with you soon.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I sent an email to Snakeoyl but the thing is, I got the parts second hand (not from Snakeoyl directly) so, as yet I have had no response from them. Ive got the caliper end sorted with new stainless lines etc. But Im sure I have to blank off one of the ports on the combination valve? Now being as the Brakes are a fairly important bit of the car, I want to make sure I plumb it in right :D
I know you are a world away, but their phone number is (608) 849-9878. Or if you PM me your email address, I will forward your request to them. I live 15 minutes away from them.

Steve A.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you are a world away, but their phone number is (608) 849-9878. Or if you PM me your email address, I will forward your request to them. I live 15 minutes away from them.

Steve A.
Thanks Steve, that would be really good of you. I will pm you my email addy :)

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update, Kurtis from Snakeoyl got back to me, well it turns out Snakeoyl do not recommend using the OEM brake proportioning valve and have custom designed there own system using a Wilwood Valve and other brass fittings. This is a major setback for me at the moment, some of the other custom lines I have also do not seem to be fitting where I thought they would go!

I can see why people just elect to go for a Big Brake kit and be done with all this :( I will post some pics up of what I am trying to do so you can get the Idea. ;)

I never did set myself easy tasks :(

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you boiling your brake fluid? What are you using? Do you have ducting? Deflectors? Upgrading your fluid is much cheaper and easier than doing this. I thought I was going to have to install a system like this and then I switched to Castrol SRF and my problems went away.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, seem to be boiling, standard Dot 4 most of the time as soon as I do 2or 3 laps on track during charity track days :( My first step was to do this performance mod, then also add ducting and have already bought some 660 racing brake fluid :) Ive changed the stock fluid a few times but I always seem to boil it up, and Brake fade is not funny :(

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK the diagram that comes with the recycle valve shows 3 different ways to perform the task. I elected to try this system.

You must be registered for see images

The next task was to rebuild my old calipers, fit new seals, new dust boots, Fast Red Paint (to make them stop quicker) and new Viper Graphics, Thanks Neil ;)

Pics taken on an iPod touch in the evening, so not great quality! Sorry.

Next task was to configure the lines and try to work out what goes where!

The Hard line plumbing for the Stewart Recycle Valve

The Positioning of the Recycle valve

So this is where Im up to at the moment, I have been talking to the Guys at Snake oyl and other parties, (Hello Tom :notworthy:) about the suggested plumbing of this system, there are differing sugestions so its going to interesting to see the results of this. I will update the thread when I progress a bit further.

I have still to connect the master cylinder to the Recycle valve and I also have to connect the return line to the valve, which Im currently working on ;)

Here's a close up shot of a mounted caliper with the Brass T connection and the New dual custom Stainless lines connected into a Ipsco Stainless connector on chassis

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update : Not going fantastically well at the moment :( The 3 hard lines that connect to the Recycle valve just would not line up right on the car :( In the earlier picture I posted, the formed hard line into the front of the recycle valve and the Upper front port of the proportioning valve was not correct. It was making the recycle valve sit higher than the Master Cylinder, this is a No No!
So as a result I have had to re-form the hard lines to the correct lengths and shape :( I also need a Flare tool to reform the ends of some of the lines!

Once I have this set up right it should be easy to duplicate, but I have a way to go yet! :(

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: I had a few setbacks along the way but have now bled the system and the fluid seems to be holding with no leaks. Ive not tested the brakes yet as the car is still up on ramps. But will try out the brakes this weekend. If all is OK I will post up more photos and a breakdown of what I have done :) .....Stay tuned :eater:

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the first shake down run was OK, Brakes worked, However upon close inspection of a Hard line to Hard line connector, I had a small leak :( Spent yet another day trying to sort it all out but finally got it done and its all working :2tu: I am now much happier after today's run out. :drive:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update Pics.

So first off...

This configuration DID NOT WORK

The Positioning of the Recycle valve ( attempt 1)......Fail

As you can see in this pic the recycle valve ended up being above the master cylinder body, this is a no no, as for the system to self bleed the air bubbles need to return via gravity to the master cylinder.

There are different views on how the system should be plumbed, but I have incorporated some advice given to me by Rick at Woodhouse. Thank You :)

Heres the pic of what the final fitting looks like now :)

So now lets get into what goes where :)

The lower port on the OEM proportioning valve was blanked off, a note on that is that the thread on the blanking nut was too long so I had to shorten the thread length.
The original hard line was then screwed into a Union Fitting 3/8"-24 Female with Inverted Flares. (I had some problems with my fitting due to having a company in the UK making me up this part! But these are available in the USA ;) this was where my small leaks occurred)

Close up pic of the short line into the recycle valve, this has been bent so that the recycle valve sits lower than the master cylinder :)

Another shot of the set up

Heres a shot of the return line into the recycle valve
The hard line screws into brass connectors supplied by Wilwood which then screw into the recycle valve.

Passenger side stainless steel braided flexible brake lines with a rubber protective sleeve for extra protection in case of any rubbing :)

Another shot.

With the new additional hard line across the front chassis member new 'P' clips were drilled and fitted to separate the lines and stop any rubbing.

A total of 3 P clips were used.

Hard line adaptors to braided line fittings and plastic hard line separator (Drivers side)

Heres a shot of the Drivers side caliper viewed from under the car, note the blanking plug where the OEM line normally goes.

The final look :) Front wheels, thanks to Neil Uk @ Race Graphics for the Viper Vinyl logos.

Toms 40mm Brakes rear Red single piston caliper covers.

Have to say this job is not for the faint hearted! I have had to call on friends for advice and a big thanks to our new UK president MADMAX (Adrian) for the loan of his brake flaring tool kit. I had purchased a cheap kit on eBay which was a complete waist of monies and did not work :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper