How much Oil for Paxton Supercharger?

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any thoughts or feelings about what type of oil might be best for this application (Gen III)? Also, since the supercharger uses the oil from the car, I was advised to put in extra at each oil change? How many quarts is that? I have notes from previous owner he was using 9 qrts.

Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you only need to fill it as much as needed to show full on the dipstick. i was told 15/50 but talk to the builder of the car (woodhouse) and let them tell you what to use.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manual says use synthetic Mobil 1 10w30? I read the threads here and it seems that the oil guy (Tom) prefers Deisel 5W40 synthetic. any thoughts on this?

Also, when putting oil in and the dip stick reads full, is that full for the engine and supercharger or just full for the engine? Again, previous owner changed oil regularly and used 9 qts each time.

Thanks

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
you only need to fill it as much as needed to show full on the dipstick. i was told 15/50 but talk to the builder of the car (woodhouse) and let them tell you what to use.

My 1st Viper was a Paxton S/C 06 built by DC Performance and when I called them with this very question, the answer was as Plum said. Mobile 1 15/50.

Reaction score
They use 15/50 in the race cars and it is great if your running ******* the track and the car is first FULLY warmed up. For street driving I would stick with the recommended oil 10/30 FWIW.

Also the dipstick will read over full a little after the car sits because the Paxton unit will drain some oil back.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They use 15/50 in the race cars and it is great if your running ******* the track and the car is first FULLY warmed up. For street driving I would stick with the recommended oil 10/30 FWIW.

Also the dipstick will read over full a little after the car sits because the Paxton unit will drain some oil back.

How about the 5w40 as a compromise? I don't plan on tracking the car, just weekend blasts. This is Bill Corum's Viper, and as far as I can tell it is too nice to run on a track.

Reaction score
How about the 5w40 as a compromise? I don't plan on tracking the car, just weekend blasts. This is Bill Corum's Viper, and as far as I can tell it is too nice to run on a track.

I would stick with the 10/30, the Gen3 car needs the 10 weight for oil pressure when cold, the Gen4 has a higher flow and pressure that is how they can get away with the 0/40 blend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper