No Brake pressure

Real_Venom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So just changed all the pads/rotors on my 06. Now I can build up pressure without the car running but as soon as I start the car I lose all pedal pressure. Fluid level hasn't dropped all lines are in good shape with no damage. Everything worked fine before doing the brakes. Only thing I found on here was references to a bad check valve at the booster or the booster but nothing for a fix. Any help would be appreciated.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bleed all 4 calipers, the pedal running will feel softer sitting in the garage,your probably ok- drive it in the subdivision and check it out

OP
OP
R

Real_Venom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm... never thought about bleeding the calipers since I didn't break the lines to the system. Rear passenger side had a crap load of air in it some how but the other three were fine. Now they stop on a dime like they are made to.

Reaction score
You should ALWAYS crack the bleeders open when pushing the pistons back into the calipers so that the old nasty fluid is not pushed back wards into the system.

Hmmm... never thought about bleeding the calipers since I didn't break the lines to the system. Rear passenger side had a crap load of air in it some how but the other three were fine. Now they stop on a dime like they are made to.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should ALWAYS crack the bleeders open when pushing the pistons back into the calipers so that the old nasty fluid is not pushed back wards into the system.

You know... I never thought of that. For one, it will probably make pushing the pistons back into their bores MUCH easier, rather than trying to push the fluid all the way back to the master. Just put a clear tube over the bleeder into a catch, then top off when done. I have to try that.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All of this sounds good but the question still remains: What caused pressure loss if the system was never de-pressurized by breaking open the lines or the bleed screw? Should not have lost pressure if all that was done was a pad and rotor swap.

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he could have pushed the air back up into the system far enough to affect the hydraulics a lot more than it did just sitting in one caliper/caliper line.

once your pedal starts doing funny things after something like that, first thing to try is full system bleed (not just a few pumps at each caliper)