Finally a High Performance Viper Lifter Gen 1-3

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

For years we have battled with poor quality highly expensive production lifters for the Viper. Our only choice was to bush the lifter bores and use a smaller diameter Chevrolet performance lifter. This was highly expensive and not practical for 90% of our customers. The only real choice was to use the early production “low bleed lifter”. The aftermarket Sealed Power or Melling lifters proved even less reliable.

For years we have built camshaft profiles and used spring pressures that allowed these lifters to live. Even with smooth cam profiles and less than optimal spring pressures these lifters would bleed down cold and rattle on cold starts, not healthy for an engine. With proper performance spring pressures they would often fail.

For the past year we have worked with several companies on a new lifter design. Our consultant Lyle Larson used his extensive background with Spintron testing and camshaft design to help develop and test this new lifter. These lifters have been proven on the engine dyno and on our own chassis dyno.

This new lifter addresses all the issues we have had with the production lifter. This low bleed lifter features a precision bore with a high performance plunger and bleed plate design. It does not bleed down when the engine is shut off and the hydraulics will withstand performance valve spring pressures. The special needle bearing rollers are designed to track true to the cam lobe creating the least amount of friction and heat. These lifters feature a tie bar that increases valve train stability at high rpm and eliminates the production tie plate.

These lifter sets are currently available for $599.00 per set—suggested retail is $849.00.

DC Performance 310-841-6996

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you help me out a little.

I currently have arrow roller rockers on my 2003. As well as a agressive 710 camshaft from roe racing. I was told as well to upgrade with the chevy lifters but never did.

I hate my arrow (harland sharp) rockers as they continuously malfunction once a year.

Is this lifter you sell a replacement for rockers? As I have herd roller rockers referred to as rockers and lifters ect.

Thanks for any clarification.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also...per set equals both sides of the engine or one side.

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The lifter set is for a complete engine (20). I have not had any issue with the Harland Sharp Rockers. When they first came out there was an issue with the adjuster that was corrected (2003 I think). It is critical they are adjusted properly and the lock nut torqued. If your lifters are bad and bleeding down then it is possible that your issue with the rockers could be related to this.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, you mentioned issues you've had with the production lifters. Can you share some of the issues you've seen with them? Perhaps warning signs to look for? I'm currently utilizing the early production "low bleed lifter'. Thanks.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lifter set is for a complete engine (20). I have not had any issue with the Harland Sharp Rockers. When they first came out there was an issue with the adjuster that was corrected (2003 I think). It is critical they are adjusted properly and the lock nut torqued. If your lifters are bad and bleeding down then it is possible that your issue with the rockers could be related to this.

Thanks...

My vipers a 2003 and it was one of the early srts that had crank failure and had to be rebuilt by arrow racing. While it was there arrow threw in the harland sharp 1.7 rockers.

Since 2006 I have had the rockers fail 3 times in wich the lock nut worked its way off and caused mis fires.

The first time the nut simply became loose and had to be retourqued in 07

The second time the nut came all the way off and fell ontop of my head gasket. This was very time consuming and expensive to find the nut in 2010

The most recent a few months ago the nut simpky broke in 2012

Basically been a nightmare for me.

Are these lifters the awnswer. Will I benifit from them if I have the harland sharps?

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, you mentioned issues you've had with the production lifters. Can you share some of the issues you've seen with them? Perhaps warning signs to look for? I'm currently utilizing the early production "low bleed lifter'. Thanks.

The common practice in the past for most engine builders was to change to the earlier Viper (1992-1999) low bleed lifter when doing a top end build. These lifters were an advantage over the later high bleed lifters as they provided more valve lift throughout the rpm range and were less likely to bleed down.

When using a performance cam profile, higher valve spring pressure is needed to keep the lifter in contact with the cam throughout the rpm range. The production low bleed lifters have problems handling the higher pressure. When the engine is shut down for any period of time they bleed down. This causes lash in the valve train and makes for very noisy valve clatter on start-up. This lack of oil is not good for the engine. These lifters also tend to bleed excessively at low rpm in performance applications and result in a noisy valvetrain. With higher spring pressures the rollers on the lifters tend to side load and wear out, at times causing engine damage.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes my valve train has been very noisy since the cam.

Can i use these with the harland sharp rockers on my 03?

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, you can use these lifters with your rockers. If you have had multiple adjuster isses, I would suggest a new set of adjusters.

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks all, we have priced these lifters just under the stock lifter price. Take advantage while this offer lasts.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Dan, were there any actual performance gains that you had seen on the dyno?

jimbalayajag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought my '06 coupe, the dealer insisted that the noise was "the fuel injection". Against my better judgement, I accepted the car. This is what seems different that what you guys are dealing with: My car is QUIET on cold start but gets louder the more i drive it. It sound like a noisy lifter, like cucko-clock....I there a quick fix adjustment or am I looking at an engine tear apart?? Thanks for all the great knowledge I have received form y'all...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper