Making your paint look like glass !

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys at a recent show people kept asking how i got my paint so shiny so here it is .
A good buddy of mine Randy [ Brain Cancer just took him last year at 53 ] that painted show cars and won many awards showed me a simple fix .
I had a 71 Vette [ yea i said it ! ] haha ...that i had painted myself and had sanded it with newspaper [well almost ] and buffed it forever with a average result . He said bring it over and ill look at it !
He said it looks good but watch this ......... he got a bottle of Meguiars #7 put some on a cloth and boom it looked like i had just cleared it . He said wax is for a car thats driven in all weather and polish is for show !

My 97 GTS has never been sanded or buffed or waxed but what i use is the #7 about once a month and i always use the new Mothers Showtime for clean up before and at the show .

Tips : When using the #7 make sure you do only a couple panels at a time and cover everything ! If you miss it will look dull and show right where you missed applying it .
The Showtime is amazing and non greasy you can wipe under the hood as well !

Most importantly dont be a tight ass and use the same dirty rag all the time thats where your swirls are coming from ! Buy some good polishing cloth that way its clean when people lean on it ! LOL:2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike don't you want to save the chore for me to make me earn my stay :eater: I wax and polish cars as part of my living ya know.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan :2tu:
I have an Advanced Auto right down the road... they carry some of Meguiars products. I'll nee to see if they have Meguiars #7.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the above is true car polishes have come a long way. Wax tends to mute your paint where a glaze like #7 does not but it does add a lot of oils to make it look nice and deep. New sealants on the market such as Zaino with 99.9% optical clarity does the same thing but it also offers some protection for your paint like a wax would. It can also be layers to a certian point making your paint deeper with every coat. JMHO. Give it a try.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you strip the wax and then use polish,but don't wax after the polish, doesn't the paint oxidize more rapidly? Not challenging your suggestion (heck Im gonna try it) just trying to understand the tradeoffs if any.

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Autozone always has it just FYI yep about 10 bucks .
Tip: Shake it up every use !

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You dont have to strip anything just apply it easy on easy off :2tu:. No white residue either ! No Worries Mate !

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Advance didn't have it but I just checked the Autozone website and my local store stocks it. I like the Meguiar's ultimate quick detailer but I'll give this a shot now that you guys say that there is no residue.

canuckviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear by zaino. Have used everything on the market and nothing works better. My 94 viper looks better than the day I picked it up

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK... So I ran over to Advance Auto after work and there was one bottle left on the shelf. I picked it up and read the bottle where its says Do not use on Vinyl or Rubber. I have vinyl stripes on my car so back on the shelf it went.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK... So I ran over to Advance Auto after work and there was one bottle left on the shelf. I picked it up and read the bottle where its says Do not use on Vinyl or Rubber. I have vinyl stripes on my car so back on the shelf it went.

Well, good to know they carry it... I never would've guessed that about the vinyl though.

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They Probably meant Vinyl tops or seats ,dash etc, and rubber for varoius obvious reasons as its not for any of that !
They have to say that because if people will get up from the wheel of a Winnebago while moving to make a sandwich then sue the company then anythings possible !
The #7 is mild ive used it since 1987 on and over everything and on freshly sprayed Candy and pearl paint jobs and buffed it !
If your worried do a bottom hidden stripe to test but its not thinner or acid , its just polish no worries . For daily use the Mother showtime is better than the Meguiars detailer in my opinion as i have it on my shelf also . Hey just passing the word !

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I emailed specifics to Meguiar's about this. Stay tuned...

They Probably meant Vinyl tops or seats ,dash etc, and rubber for varoius obvious reasons as its not for any of that !
They have to say that because if people will get up from the wheel of a Winnebago while moving to make a sandwich then sue the company then anythings possible !
The #7 is mild ive used it since 1987 on and over everything and on freshly sprayed Candy and pearl paint jobs and buffed it !
If your worried do a bottom hidden stripe to test but its not thinner or acid , its just polish no worries . For daily use the Mother showtime is better than the Meguiars detailer in my opinion as i have it on my shelf also . Hey just passing the word !

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem ,
im open to new things and may give the Zaino a try as Agent suggested . It doesnt cost much to try any of it but i just know what has got the best results so far for me as ive wasted a boat load on stuff that hasnt . However Ill probably stay with the #7 and showtime if it isnt broke dont fix it ! Just too many compliments on a 15 yr old stock paint job to change right now !

Be safe ot there !:drive:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I emailed specifics to Meguiar's about this. Stay tuned...

Here is the email response I just received from Meguiar's ... I think I will just stick with their ultimate quick detailer which is great on the stripes and even glass.

Thanks for contacting us at Meguiar's.

The #7 has a lot of oils in it to give paint that really wet look. Unfortunately, vinyl does not absorb the oils so the product will just leave a streaky finish behind. It's only recommended that you use it on painted areas.

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me again.

Have a wonderful day!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I think I'm gonna try this #7... no stipes to worry about.
Right now I just use a paste wax after a wash.
Maybe you guys can correct me if I'm wrong...
...wouldn't all those oils have a propensity to attract a bit more dust to the paint like on gravel drives/ roads etc?
Mike

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its not like tanning oil its just polish try it you will love it ! Try the showtime as well ! The white haze of the turtle wax days are over ! Ive put it over vinyl lettering on my drag bikes etc. since 1987 it just doesnt matter or bother it ! After all its just vinyl pull it off and replace it .
For those of you that use it enjoy the shine !!!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze. It work pretty killer. Very easy to apply and remove, almost like a TV commercial. The car looks stunning afterwards.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze. It work pretty killer. Very easy to apply and remove, almost like a TV commercial. The car looks stunning afterwards.
Allan, I'm sure Adam's works Great (I've just always thought most of their products are way over priced) its $25 before shipping, when you can get the #7 for 10 Bucks! Not talking about you Allan but some people but A product because of the name, when you can get the same thing (generic brand) thats just as good if not better for half the price. I have a cousin that will NOT buy Anything thats a generic brand no matter how good it is just because I guess when its setting on his shelf at home he doesn't want others to think he can't afford the REAL thing I guess! jmo

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you use the #7 apply it in a small area so you can see the before and after side by side . Like you say its 10 bucks !

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, I'm sure Adam's works Great (I've just always thought most of their products are way over priced) its $25 before shipping, when you can get the #7 for 10 Bucks! Not talking about you Allan but some people but A product because of the name, when you can get the same thing (generic brand) thats just as good if not better for half the price. I have a cousin that will NOT buy Anything thats a generic brand no matter how good it is just because I guess when its setting on his shelf at home he doesn't want others to think he can't afford the REAL thing I guess! jmo
Yeah, for a lot of things I'm a brand name guy, but for car care stuff, I just like what I think works best for me. I buy the Adams products by the case from a regional distributor wholesale, supposed to be for resale in the front part of the shop, but nobody cares to buy any of it so I use it all myself. -I don't mind.....my cars look great with less effort. I love the Detail Spray. I think it works better than other brands. Everybody seems to have their own deal about what works best for them.

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Always good to know . I have never seen it anywhere in the ohio area . If and when i do ill give it a shot !

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have to search online to find a local distributor for Adam's car care products. It's not sold at the idiot stores. If I'm not mistaken, the Junkman is an avid user of the Adam's stuff. -can't get a better endorsement than that. :2tu:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have to search online to find a local distributor for Adam's car care products. It's not sold at the idiot stores. If I'm not mistaken, the Junkman is an avid user of the Adam's stuff. -can't get a better endorsement than that. :2tu:
I think they had some kind of dis-agreement & pretty much parted ways! It was on one of the other sites (may have been on adam's site) this happened a month or so ago, I know junkman was pushing another product & it wasn't one of Adam's (can't recall what it was at the moment). There was a pretty long thread on it but I think Adam may have shut the thread down & if I remember they were pretty cordial about everything & didn't really get into alot of detail about it & not really getting into any mudslinging. You can try & see on Adam's site & see if you can find it, I'll try & remember where I saw it in the meantime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper