Mopar oil filter vs. Mobil 1 filter?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May have already been addressed, but is the Mopar factory oil filter as good as the Mobil 1 filter for Gen 2? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what parts counter you are at.

Auto Zone, or Dodge.
Thats the kind of reply Jon B. and myself like. OK, Tom, the oil and lube pro, I took your honest and very educated advice on the oil weight, now how about this one? Thanks Tom.

Reaction score
I'm not Tom but I would NEVER use a Mobil1 after cutting one open and seeing how much oil it can bypass at cold start and when the ultra low filtering system plugs off. The Wix/Mopar is really the only choice IMVHO.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to some knowledgable people (not me) unlike their air filters, K&N oil filters seem to have the right compromise between flow and filtering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not Tom but I would NEVER use a Mobil1 after cutting one open and seeing how much oil it can bypass at cold start and when the ultra low filtering system plugs off. The Wix/Mopar is really the only choice IMVHO.
Interesting info and thanks. Can you answer this? I have a new Mopar/Viper filter part no. 05037836 from VOI 9. Will this fit the Gen 2 motor?

Reaction score
Interesting info and thanks. Can you answer this? I have a new Mopar/Viper filter part no. 05037836 from VOI 9. Will this fit the Gen 2 motor?

Yes it will these filters will fit "all" the Vipers except the 08' cars that have a new filter and the size of the threads are bigger to distinguish it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Assuming there needs to be a balance between excess bypass during cold start and oil starvation during cold start, you are leaning toward the Mobil 1 is too much flow when cold? In other words, too much bypass? I mean, you said how much oil it can bypass. Does that mean it is? Has anyone ever studied these things in real life, short of the workbench top dissection?

Reaction score
Yes it can bypass when cols or when it plugs off as any filter can. The really small micron filtering ones though will generally get to the bypass mode sooner than conventional filtering media. The Wix/Mopar has good surface area and the stout spring rather than the heat affected leaf spring type of bypass spring that may even fail as some test have shown.

I'm just saying that the design to me is a better one than advertising the smallest micron filter. and potentially bypassing excess oil during start up pressure spikes when the engine needs clean oil more.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it can bypass when cols or when it plugs off as any filter can. The really small micron filtering ones though will generally get to the bypass mode sooner than conventional filtering media. The Wix/Mopar has good surface area and the stout spring rather than the heat affected leaf spring type of bypass spring that may even fail as some test have shown.

I'm just saying that the design to me is a better one than advertising the smallest micron filter. and potentially bypassing excess oil during start up pressure spikes when the engine needs clean oil more.

Got it. Now what is the reason for engines really needing clean oil at startup? I would think if it's related to clearances and particle size, that while the engine is cold clearances are greater, allowing greater particle size to pass without damage to bearings and journals.

Reaction score
Dirty oil with particles flowing into an un oiled space do not have them in "suspension" and they can be the primary surface contact until the bearing is flowing with oil. I see this as potential wear on the bearing surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper