Hot Interior

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELLO? Welcome to a race car that is street legal! The air system is in the engine compartment and gets hot along with everything else. Run you A/C to cool down the vents and then go to 'outside' air ... usually works for me here in Texas. Plus, both windows down for 10-15 minutes when you take off to clear all the heat sink in the interior and then go to the AC. Nobody ever said it was going to be Your Father's Oldsmobile. :)

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do when the heater is on......lol. Yes these cars run hot on the interior from the engine and mostly the exhaust. GEN IV is about the coolest since the crossover pipe was removed.

Welcome to Viper

Bruce

OP
OP
R

ramedjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I was just wondering, because it does get pretty hot after awhile, but the car is a blast to drive.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what gen you have, but I removed all the factory exhaust on my 03 and went with a aftermarket system that elimated the cross over pipes and it does make a huge difference. Everyone keeps preaching it, and honestly I figured they were all just babies. Now that I have done it, I see why. Good luck with the heat. My next project is stripping the interior and doing a layer of dynomat to help with heat and noise.

OP
OP
R

ramedjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what gen you have, but I removed all the factory exhaust on my 03 and went with a aftermarket system that elimated the cross over pipes and it does make a huge difference. Everyone keeps preaching it, and honestly I figured they were all just babies. Now that I have done it, I see why. Good luck with the heat. My next project is stripping the interior and doing a layer of dynomat to help with heat and noise.

I have aftermarket exhaust and I dont know if they removed the crossover, but I am sure that they did. I have a Gen 3.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody ever had hot air blowing thru the vents on a cool day from the engine compartment?

I have aftermarket exhaust and I dont know if they removed the crossover, but I am sure that they did. I have a Gen 3.

I'm not an expert and am not claiming to be but perhaps there could be another issue. I have not heard of this problem (whats mentioned above) with the GEN III's. Maybe someone else can chime in.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you have enough cool days in Houston to worry about it. :lmao:

But yeah, even the gen4 will heat up enough that you need AC here and there on a fairly cool day. Usually I just roll down the windows.

OP
OP
R

ramedjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I do to but the heat is coming from the A/C vents. So rolling the windows does help but you can still feel it.

OP
OP
R

ramedjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering if this is natural or do I have something wrong. Also where can we take the cars to be worked on that the mechanic is a trusted Viper mechanic?

F

FrgMstr

I was just wondering if this is natural or do I have something wrong. Also where can we take the cars to be worked on that the mechanic is a trusted Viper mechanic?

Brother, it is totally normal. Sometimes it is worse than others. Turn on the AC and boogie on in big HTown.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cockpit heat is a well known "feature". Fixed in the Gen4 I believe. Never thought it was bad enough to bother me personally. Run the A/C if you want, that will help. Also, on my Gen 3 vert, the heat from the hood vents rolls into the cockpit on the road when the top and windows are down. They say the Gen4 style hood solves this problem. I will find out this summer. I hope so because I find that more annoying than the exhaust heat.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1st Viper didn't even have an air conditioner.

exactly... my 94 had it as an option. I love the rawness of the gen1's. Sort of a nostalgic feel to them - probably explains why I love those old 427 cobras with the plain interior and side pipes. :2tu:

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I do to but the heat is coming from the A/C vents. So rolling the windows does help but you can still feel it.

Wait...are you saying that even with the vents 'closed' and a/c off you are still getting heat coming thru the vents???

I don't have THAT issue...mine blow ice cold for about 20 minutes then it turns to warm air. Fully charged a/c warm air....

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramedjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes exactly what I have now the vent may be open to outside air coming in. I turn the air on and the air coming thru the vents is now cool, but not cold.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of the guy's in Houston trust the work performed by Morgan at Tomball Dodge, give the Service Mgr. a call ... David Milam 281-378(1474) to schedule an appt. Probably a good idea to get it up on a lift and give it the once over, the guys at Tomball Dodge will treat you right :2tu:

OP
OP
R

ramedjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK will do that I have no trust in the rest of the Tomball mechanics for different reasons. I will try him thou for the Viper. Are parts for the car pretty plentiful or do we have to go to outside sources.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are parts for the car pretty plentiful or do we have to go to outside sources.

Tomball Dodge is very proud of their parts, you might be better off shopping at the VPA and having the larger items shipped directly to Tomball (like I did my tires). Sorry to hear about the other bad experiences, I've only taken my Viper there and have always been treated well :2tu:

MODERATOR EDIT: Link to non site sponsor removed.

VPA:
https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Gen3 using the vent mode from outside air with no A/C, it does tend to run warm. If you look on the passenger side cowl where the "fresh air" intake is (just below/in front of the windshield), it is directly behind the right side hood vent. So hot air can exit the engine compartment from the hood vent and then flow into the ventilation system, mixed with some outside air of course. On a Gen IV the hood vents are farther forward and I believe the airflow is such that this issue is reduced significantly.

It is possible to reduce the flow of hot air from the right hood vent to the passenger compartment air intake by blocking two or three of the rear most vent slots on the passenger side. I've seen it done with ~1-inch high-density black foam rubber cut to fit inside the vent slot. Probably not a good idea to block off more than two or three of the slots-- and best to leave them all open for track days or other high speed events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32