Just got New leftover 09 Black ACR - have a few questions. - help. :)

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The suspension was not touched by the dealer (per the salesman). it feels like it is on full stiff right now (i could be wrong).

I do *not* plan to track the car, so i want to set it in the street driving range described in the owners manual.

I need to get it up in the air to get to the suspension but I just got it this past weekend so I haven't yet.

Does anyone know where the Suspension is set from the factory?

thanks!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The default settings from the factory are supposedly the "street" settngs.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is your first Viper, the ACR will feel stiff compared to most sports cars. The setting information is contained in your ACR supplement that came with the car. You can set it yourself with a jack and jack stands, do one side of the car at a time. Note: once you break the tape on the shock adjustments, the dealer MAY void your suspension warranty.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not have the ACR supplement, I have it in PDF form and can email it to you.
Pretty sure it lists the factory suspension settings.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is your first Viper, the ACR will feel stiff compared to most sports cars. The setting information is contained in your ACR supplement that came with the car. You can set it yourself with a jack and jack stands, do one side of the car at a time. Note: once you break the tape on the shock adjustments, the dealer MAY void your suspension warranty.
Exactly what he says is correct inc. any wing adjustments from factory setting too MAY void warranty I was told but is not needed anyway. The ride will be stiff as its an ACR. Hope you like it.

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I have the suppliment that came with the car for the ACR so I guess I will jack it up and see where it is. without sounding like a total *****, i am used to rough rides but i am guessing mine is somehow set on closer to track than street... i will find out soon... :)

thanks again... i have 89 miles on it so far. :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR's will ride stiffer than standard coupe, as they come with firmer springs to compensate for the over 1,000 pounds of downforce generated by the wing, splitters and canards. Instead of harsh, some call the ride "planted"

For street use, some switch out the ACR springs for softer standard coupe springs, or switch to Moton shocks for a smoother, yet well controlled ride.

Another way to soften up the ride is to change out the hard riding Pilot Sport Cups for more conventional street tires.

Enjoy your new Viper ACR. Fantastic car.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I have the suppliment that came with the car for the ACR so I guess I will jack it up and see where it is. without sounding like a total *****, i am used to rough rides but i am guessing mine is somehow set on closer to track than street... i will find out soon... :)

thanks again... i have 89 miles on it so far. :)

The adjusters are very sensitive, go very slow when adjusting to make sure you don't miss clicks in between.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...it'll feel better once you get it up to speed. Seriously, everything just feels "right" once you're over 60 or 70 mph. A lot of the surface feel that you're sensing now is the Sport Cups; many of us get a set of the six-spoke wheels with PS2s for normal (off-track) driving. The jarring you're feeling is mostly the springs, as noted they're stiffer than the coupe's. You'll love how you can jack up the whole side of your car at once to adjust your shocks... just remember to add another "safety jack" or jackstands. Even though you're not under the car, you really don't want to have your arms in there between the top of the tire and the wheel well if your jack fails without a backup...

Congrats on your new ACR!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Before you do anything...check your tire pressures (since I have personally seen Vipers delivered NEW with 38-40 psi in tires that call for 29 psi cold)...set them to 29 psi COLD, repeat test drive...THEN consider all of the above.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto what Steve said. My maiden voyage in my vert from LA to San Diego was a bit rough and when I checked the tire pressure as delivered by dealer was 38 psi.

Congrats on the ACR, where did you get it?

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will do that on the tires... when it got delivered (got it from BAXTER in Omaha) via truck the effing low tire pressure light was on... since then I put about 34psi in them once i drove alittle... so i was thinking that would equal about 30 cold..... i am so precise in everything i do... :LOL:... :)

I drove it to work today and all seems pretty good... i would still like to see where the suspension is set though...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will do that on the tires... when it got delivered (got it from BAXTER in Omaha) via truck the effing low tire pressure light was on... since then I put about 34psi in them once i drove alittle... so i was thinking that would equal about 30 cold..... i am so precise in everything i do... :LOL:... :)

I drove it to work today and all seems pretty good... i would still like to see where the suspension is set though...

My ACR arrived with very low tire pressure as well, and the TPMS light on.
After filling them correctly and driving over 1000 miles, it's still on.
Annoying idiot light.
Did yours go off yet?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
and the TPMS light on.
After filling them correctly and driving over 1000 miles, it's still on.

That ain't right ViperJon. Something else going on. When I got mine the TPMS light was on also. Put 29 lbs in all 4 and the light went out after about 10 miles.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ain't right ViperJon. Something else going on. When I got mine the TPMS light was on also. Put 29 lbs in all 4 and the light went out after about 10 miles.

Yeah I know, probably a bad sensor or something.
Just too lazy to bring it to some incompetent dealer around here.

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya, mine went off as soon as i put some air in the tires.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Before you do anything...check your tire pressures (since I have personally seen Vipers delivered NEW with 38-40 psi in tires that call for 29 psi cold)...set them to 29 psi COLD, repeat test drive...THEN consider all of the above.

One additional note: SPORT CUPS are STIFF! Just as stiff as RunFlats. PS2 tires will Really, really soften-civilize the ride....

boy wonder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 09 ACR. I was surprised that the suspension was not stiffer. I would describe mine as very compliant.
Please let us know what u find out on yours. Mine is set to the factory clicks. I had dealer put car on hoist so I could
look around underneath.

Robin
:)

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MY 2010 ACR is very nice to drive on the street. Not clunky at all. BUT you can tell its a track car spring as big bumps (not normally found on race tracks...unless you race at Sebring or Daytona prior to the repaving...ugggh) make them chunk over it. But normal bumps are swallowed with no issues. Tire pressure is a big deal thats true.

Patrick

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ACR is a track car so...... It's going to feel stiff on the street. You can cure that by going to the track!

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if my car softened up some or if i just toughened up some... it is still a rough ride but all is well. I never did get anyone to see where it is set. I have almost 1000 miles on it here in the rain belt of central PA.... lol

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to PS2s.....the ride will be softer but it is the best Viper out there. As Julia Roberts says in one of my favorite movies......runs like on rails. The car plants with the downforce and you can of like drive....heck.:drive:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously if you are not going to track your car just change out the tires to some ps2's or nittos. The ride will be much better and a good bit safer in the rain. Those sport cups dont like the wet and the more they wear the more you'll know it. And if the ride is still not soft enough just go full soft on the suspension.

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am ok with the car the way it is..... i will flip flop back and forth on finding a low turnout event to track the car in 2012..... every NASA event is sold out for HPDE and i have no desire to be on the track with 35 other idiots..... i need a day like "Seat Time" at summit point where no one shows up... lol... :)