Things that cause you to CRASH your Viper!

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the MGW Gripper Shifter one of the best shifters to get to avoid doing this? I plan on buying one of these with a B&M Short Throw shifter.

You must be registered for see images

I too tend to shift into the wrong gear sometimes, but am always on guard and immediately hit the clutch and change gears to correct it.

I believe that when a "better shifter" is discussed, it's not the knob itself but the shifter mechanism that is between the knob and the transmission. I replaced the stock unit with the MGW shifter and it's a huge improvement. I now feel much more comfortable that I'm getting the gear that I intend, and I haven't had a blown shift in the few weeks with the new shifter (and I had a couple before).

Hope that helps,
Bryan

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bryan,

That's what I meant, which is why I mentioned the B&M short throw. I was just curious to see if a shorter shift knob like the one in the image I posted would help compliment the short throw mechanism as you put it better than the current stock shift knob I have in my car. I actually thought I remember reading last year that MGW no longer makes this short throw for the GEN IIs.. or at least they used to make it. What generation Viper do you have that you just bought this for?

I believe that when a "better shifter" is discussed, it's not the knob itself but the shifter mechanism that is between the knob and the transmission. I replaced the stock unit with the MGW shifter and it's a huge improvement. I now feel much more comfortable that I'm getting the gear that I intend, and I haven't had a blown shift in the few weeks with the new shifter (and I had a couple before).

Hope that helps,
Bryan

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Bryan,

That's what I meant, which is why I mentioned the B&M short throw. I was just curious to see if a shorter shift knob like the one in the image I posted would help compliment the short throw mechanism as you put it better than the current stock shift knob I have in my car. I actually thought I remember reading last year that MGW no longer makes this short throw for the GEN IIs.. or at least they used to make it. What generation Viper do you have that you just bought this for?

Mine is a Gen3. I did see that you mentioned the B&M; my point was that the shorter shift knob itself wouldn't seem to fix anything. If anything, the longer the shift knob, the more you should be able to feel/see the lateral difference between 1st, 3rd, and 5th, for example. Purely my opinion, and I'm still a Viper newbie, so all disclaimers apply...

All that being said, I love my setup now with the very knob that you pictured. With the new shifter, it seems like I can feel the differences in the H pattern, if that makes sense. Big improvement.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it seems any short throw mechanism with a shorter shift knob will help quicker shifts, but I do understand what you mean by a taller shift knob allowing you to feel and see the lateral difference. From asking several people it seems installing a short throw with a shift knob like the MGW is probably the best way to go.

Mine is a Gen3. I did see that you mentioned the B&M; my point was that the shorter shift knob itself wouldn't seem to fix anything. If anything, the longer the shift knob, the more you should be able to feel/see the lateral difference between 1st, 3rd, and 5th, for example. Purely my opinion, and I'm still a Viper newbie, so all disclaimers apply...

All that being said, I love my setup now with the very knob that you pictured. With the new shifter, it seems like I can feel the differences in the H pattern, if that makes sense. Big improvement.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it seems any short throw mechanism with a shorter shift knob will help quicker shifts, but I do understand what you mean by a taller shift knob allowing you to feel and see the lateral difference. From asking several people it seems installing a short throw with a shift knob like the MGW is probably the best way to go.

Definately if you have the stock shifter to get an aftermarket. Mine was very loose and didn't center very well, but that all changed with the SVS shifter I installed! (also poly motor/trans mounts help)

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately if you have the stock shifter to get an aftermarket. Mine was very loose and didn't center very well, but that all changed with the SVS shifter I installed! (also poly motor/trans mounts help)

Yes, I will be getting the poly motor/trans mounts. :)

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finding a BIG @$$ spider crawling up your windshield. Didnt happen in the Viper, but while I was at work. Damn near lost control...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper