GEN V Purchase info?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they maybe gonna try this to see if it will work well, us first, then the public second- who knows

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty interesting article. Wasn't the '96 GTS sold in a similar manner...had to currently own a Viper and such?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if Fiat being in the game has something to do with this. I know Ferrari has required prior ownership and approval before buying a new Ferrari model before. Eitherway, I'm with bluesrt. I see VCA getting 1st dibs (early ordering open only to us?) and whatever is left after all VCA orders are placed, will go to the dealers, depending on their allocation.

If this is correct, I think its really cool and a way of SRT/Ralph thanking us for our loyalty and its very cool that a major news website like MSNBC.com ran the article!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph mentioned this @ the SFL meet. To order a new car you will need a current valid Viper vin #. I was surprised by this but I like the loyalty the company is showing to the current owners.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph mentioned this @ the SFL meet. To order a new car you will need a current valid Viper vin #. I was surprised by this but I like the loyalty the company is showing to the current owners.

I'm also wondering if there is so much new technology on the Gen V that they want real Viper owners feedback and not newb whining?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You Guys need a little history lesson :)

In the thread referenced below, Viper Wizard Chuck Tator posted:

"2003 DODGE VIPER SRT-10 / NEWS FOR ORDERING!! Here it is!!!!

Here's the deal:

Owners of Vipers purchased new between the original launch of the Viper and Nov. 15, 2001 and still owned by the original
owner will be given the opportunity to make a reservation for the 2003
Viper SRT-10. These owners are still known to Dodge
and their ownership is easily verified. Asking for a reservation doesn't obligate the customer to buy the car,
but it does give the customer the option to place an early order for the new Dodge Viper convertible that could be in short
supply!

From Dec. 10, 2001 to Jan. 10, 2002, a four-week window of
opportunity will be open only to customers who have purchased a new Viper before Nov. 15, 2001, still own that car, and have
applied for and received a unique, serial-numbered early reservation
cerificate. The reservation certificates will be
offered to qualified potential buyers on a first come, first served basis, but
the reservation does not determine any particular
vehicle build sequence or any individual priority within the earlyreservation
group.

The customer will register interest in the early reservation program in either of two ways:
A) Visit www.viperclub.org or www.2003vgx.com
and follow
the approval process outlined.
B) Or call Viper
Headquarters on the special toll-free 2003 Viper SRT-10 line at 1-877-468-6864 [9 am to 5 pm est,
Mon-Fri]

THE CERTIFICATE IS NOT TRANSFERABLE!!

COOL HERE THEY
COME!!!!"

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...ighlight=2003+Viper+Early+Reservation+Program

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hisssstorian Note:

As stated, there have been TWO opportunities when Club Members received a preferential ordering window. One of those gave a 1-week additional headstart to VOI attendees ! And one time, Chrysler Financial gave us a (significant) discounted interest rate.

JonB ~~~:<~

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh those poor suckers who paid sticker PLUS for an '03.....

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hisssstorian Note:

As stated, there have been TWO opportunities when Club Members received a preferential ordering window. One of those gave a 1-week additional headstart to VOI attendees ! And one time, Chrtsler Financial gave us a (significant) discounted interest rate.

JonB ~~~:<~

Jon,
A little off topic but was there any preferential treatment with the SRT C 1st Editions.? Just curious. I know you had a low plaque #.
Thanks,
Robert

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did those promotions pan out as a worthwhile venture for Dodge. I like the idea of being able to purchase before anyone else can, but do VCA members take advantage of this.

Bruce

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hope that they open it up just slightly to those people that Viper owners and are VCA members. Not just those that were the original titler of the car.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found this article. While I know you can't believe everything you read on the net this is the first i've see in print about purchasing a GEN V. They mention you have to be a current owner AND a member of the VCA. Wonder how true this is. Discuss....:)

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/11/10117058-new-dodge-viper-to-debut-in-ny

This is just an observation... there are no quotation marks around that part of the article meaning Ralph is not "officially" on record in the article as saying it.
However, it makes total sense to me if it goes down like that. Why not? They know they are going to only be able to produce a limited run of a highly anticipated car... why not let the most intimate supporters get the perks of 1st dibbs? It would make total sense.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1998 Viper GT2/GTSR

The GT-2 "Preferential" ordering was NOT to members or owners, but to TOP 50 VIPER DEALERS. Only 50 of the 2000+ dealers were allowed to order a GT-2, one at a time, in rotation, til the 100 were sold.
Since this was the highest USA MSRP in history at that time, those dealers contact THEIR best customers. So the dealers created a preferential sale opportunity.

The # 1 Viper dealer in USA was FITZGERALD DODGE....so he got car # 001 (PartsRack Flagship car, I had to sell it! ) The # 002 might have been Roanoke.... #3 was Claude Short Dodge (Dan Cragin)... I have the list somewhere.... Lou K bought # 003.... NorCal

JonB ~~~~:<~ Hisssstorian wannabee

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did those promotions pan out as a worthwhile venture for Dodge. I like the idea of being able to purchase before anyone else can, but do VCA members take advantage of this. Bruce

THOUSANDS of owners took advantage in MY 1996 and 2003. I did both times.

The promotion was NOT without some controversy. To be eligible you had to be a new-owner-on-MSO. ie NO used cars, No brokered, flipped cars. You hadda be the 1st owner of a LICENSED Viper from a Dealer who reguistered your MSO.

This 'ignored' many enthusiastic Viper owners who had bought brokered cars...or ASSumed they were 1st owners, when in fact the dealer had traded to get the car, but the MSO was not associated with the first licensee owner. And USED Viper owners are just as loyal, but got left out of those early programs. {Any new rules could easily address these past controversies.}

Some DEALERS were angered, that some owners became their competition. One owner redeemed FOUR early certificates at invoice, and flipped the cars for a smaller profit than most dealers would take. So he WAS competing. [ A 1-per-household-limit would limit that.}

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon,
A little off topic but was there any preferential treatment with the SRT C 1st Editions.? Just curious. I know you had a low plaque #.
Thanks, Robert

EARLY Vehicle Order Numbers [VONs] by fans of the car, who knew enough to ask (thru their dealers) for early cars DID get some personal attention. The same with Gen 4 ACRs. [I had to changed my VON COLOR to get a very early ACR!]

In my case: I had won a Dodge Marketing contest in 1995 that eventually enabled me to get the FIRST RETAIL GTS delivered to a customer. It was also the First CAAP Owner pickup, and served as a 'test' for that program. Ivan ** got the next CAAPer... EXCITING TIMES.

Ten years later, when the SRT-C First Edition was considerd in Blue/White (supposedly an 'officially retired' color) a few original GTS owners were actually surveyed by Dodge, to see if we would object to our "retired" color being released again as a limited commemorative. I replied "I would be flattered, no obection, especially if I can re-inact my CAAP pickup of 1996!"

Much to my surprise, the reply was "that might be fun at our end, too" and it worked out. Lightning struck again, and I was able to get that 1st SRT-C coupe out the door.............

True to form, I suspect SRT will reward its loyal owner base with some type of preferential ordering....and they will probably learn from the past (and Ferrari) to do it the best way ever..... Gotta Love DODGE/SRT.. What A Company!

JonB ~~~~:<~

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to be a current Viper owner to buy the GenV? That's very Ferrari Enzo of them isn't it!? Not that it's a bad thing.......keep it in the family, I guess, especially when it's just a niche market.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if this does pan out, I'm nowhere near as senior here as many of my favorite contributors here, but if VCA membership and a current Viper is enough to hold a reservation that might work to my advantage if I wanted to purchase one. Although truth be told, I'd be after an ACR, which rumors suggest is a 2014 model.....did anyone get confirmation on that?

Regards,
Aaron

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to be a current Viper owner to buy the GenV? That's very Ferrari Enzo of them isn't it!? Not that it's a bad thing.......keep it in the family, I guess, especially when it's just a niche market.

It greatly reduced the price gouging by dealers in 2003 because if you had the certificate, you could buy your Viper through any dealer. Without the certificate, the dealer could not order the car. A lot of original owners who still had their previous Viper bought at or near invoice. Let's hope it happens again!

Bill

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that this strategy will get help with price gouging, however, Ralph has stated in several interviews that he is trying to convert Porsche and Vette owners to a Viper. Wouldn't this strategy go against that?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that this strategy will get help with price gouging, however, Ralph has stated in several interviews that he is trying to convert Porsche and Vette owners to a Viper. Wouldn't this strategy go against that?

I believe it will only generate more excitement about the car. People want what they can't have even more.
corvette owner will see 1 and say I want 1 how do I get it? After a long wait, he will appreciate the car even more... and then he will feel like he is the part of something really big and special.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the "Velvet Rope Effect".
I do like that they are going to take care of "the faithful" first. We deserve it, for supporting the car/brand, when nobody else would.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Concerning the selling of the GT-2, Viper Hissssstorian JonB stated:

"The GT-2 "Preferential" ordering was NOT to members or owners, but to TOP 50 VIPER DEALERS. Only 50 of the 2000+ dealers were allowed to order a GT-2, one at a time, in rotation, til the 100 were sold...."

Realizing that JonB knows MORE about Vipers and the history of same than I will ever know, I will just say that the official "Dodge Dealer List" handed to me by a dealer friend who was fortunate to have a GT-2 for sale in his showroom had 63 dealers listed...with Fitzgerald in NH being first as stated, Roanoke in IL was second, etc...and Dodgeland in NJ last. Said piece of paper is still in my grubby (but GT-2 empty) hand. :)

I should also add that I THINK we received the same list via snail-mail from either Dodge or the VCA concerning the sale of the GT-2's. Anyone REALLY recall??

Last edited:

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if this does pan out, I'm nowhere near as senior here as many of my favorite contributors here, but if VCA membership and a current Viper is enough to hold a reservation that might work to my advantage if I wanted to purchase one. Although truth be told, I'd be after an ACR, which rumors suggest is a 2014 model.....did anyone get confirmation on that?

Regards,
Aaron

That's what I am after. No one knows for sure; but, that's what everyone expects they won't be available the first year.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It greatly reduced the price gouging by dealers in 2003 because if you had the certificate, you could buy your Viper through any dealer. Without the certificate, the dealer could not order the car. A lot of original owners who still had their previous Viper bought at or near invoice. Let's hope it happens again!

Bill

Well some of the worst problems with car companies isn't their cars, it's their salesman/dealers. A certificate would be a great way around price gouging. If the current viper owner pool buys all SRT can make, then so be it....it will only cause more demand for next years production run for the Vette/Porsche converts

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Concerning the selling of the GT-2, Viper Hissssstorian JonB stated:

"The GT-2 "Preferential" ordering was NOT to members or owners, but to TOP 50 VIPER DEALERS. Only 50 of the 2000+ dealers were allowed to order a GT-2, one at a time, in rotation, til the 100 were sold...."

Realizing that JonB knows MORE about Vipers and the history of same than I will ever know, I will just say that the official "Dodge Dealer List" handed to me by a dealer friend who was fortunate to have a GT-2 for sale in his showroom had 63 dealers listed...with Fitzgerald in NH being first as stated, Roanoke in IL was second, etc...and Dodgeland in NJ last. Said piece of paper is still in my grubby (but GT-2 empty) hand. :)

I should also add that I THINK we received the same list via snail-mail from either Dodge or the VCA concerning the sale of the GT-2's. Anyone REALLY recall??

Steve, On May 1,1998 all Dodge Dealers received a letter concerning the build of the GT2. It stated that "members of the VCA are being notified right now of the availability of these vehicles and are also being given a list of dealers receiving them. We recommend that you give first priority for this speial vehicle to these most loyal and enthusuiastic Viper owners and Dodge suppoters." I kept calling down the list until I found one available at Monarch Dodge in Florida; they were 3rd from last on the list. The local dealer I had been purchasing from wanted $140,000 for his allotment (MSRP was $85,200.00) so I looked elsewhere. It was an exciting time. Hope they do something similar for the Gen V.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I might also add that VCA members got a letter dated May 1, 1998 from Dodge along with a "flyer with complete details and the list of the top Dodge dealers, based on prevous Viper sales, to whom we are allocating the Special Edition GT2 Viper." Signed by Jim Julow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper