GEN I, GEN II, GEN III: Underbody - Technical pics

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has evolved a very LONG distance in the matter of technology. The Generation One Viper was quite literally built from scraps and leftovers. When compared to the Generation One, the Generation Three Viper is the equivalent to aircraft technology. Below is a chronological display of underbody chassis photos displaying the vast upgrades made within the years of Chrysler Performance Engineering.

GEN I:
You must be registered for see images

GEN II:

GEN III:

GEN I:

GEN II:

GEN III:

GEN I:

GEN II:

GEN III:

GEN I:

GEN II:

GEN III:

GEN I:

GEN II:

GEN III:

Thank you Dan for showing us all the three generation differences from underneath, it was one of the best technical viewing I have seen on the Viper.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
KOOL POST!! Had gen 2 and now gen 3 but never really saw gen 1.

makes me thinks twice about using a gen 1 for a project car.

vd..

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering why on the Gen3 they took off most of the protection.Looking at the Gen2 they had all the protection underneath.

Reaction score
The Gen 2 car does not have a stock underbody.

It looks like that Gen 2 car has a front fascia cooling mod that includes an underbody cover plate (in front of the oil pan). It also sports a panel behind the rear end to seal off the exhaust exit area, and make it more like the gen 3 car at the rear.

I do not know why they eliminated the plate in the middle that did a good job of being a drive shaft retainer.

I'm sure Dan Cragin can elaborate.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen III has all of the underbody plates and covers removed. It has much less open area than Gen I or II.
498DSC04045-med.JPG

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vd..

Great pics...... I'll be sure to stick them in the registry gallery.

Gen I and II frames are nearly identical. Difference is the aluminum suspension, suspension mounting points and shock arrangement... the differential is mounted differently (lost it's "drag link") but the frame is little changed betweeen the two

No doubt Gen III is the "pinical" of Viper frame/suspension evolution.....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Great pics! Thanks for posting those.

I remember back in the 90s, I saw a black Gen1 RT all smashed up. The driver supposedly rolled it while taking his neighbor's wife for a ride, but nobody got hurt, from what I heard. Anyway, all broken up and twisted like it was, I could see the suspension pieces very clearly, and saw that the lower front control arms were just welded tubes, and that really shocked me, it looked cobbled together. In contrast, the Gen3 looks totally modern and sophisticated. (Can we use the term "sophisticated" when talking about Vipers?) :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on whether the Gen 2 differential mounting system (attached to frame) is better/worse than the Gen 1 ladder bar? I'm thinking of drag race use...

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

vd..

Great pics...... I'll be sure to stick them in the registry gallery.

Gen I and II frames are nearly identical. Difference is the aluminum suspension, suspension mounting points and shock arrangement... the differential is mounted differently (lost it's "drag link") but the frame is little changed betweeen the two

No doubt Gen III is the "pinical" of Viper frame/suspension evolution.....

jay i was talking about the a arms, brakes,shocks, springs front end. Looks not nearley as improved as gen 2/3

vd..

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Albert- Is that the new Unitrax half-shaft system for the SRT-10 I see on that Gen-3? If so, have any comments on it yet?

Thanks,

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Best description for a Gen 1:

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

Leonardo da Vinci

Guys - let's hope that even Chrysler was able to take advantage of the technology changes that have happened over the past 13 years. Take the pictures in context for what they are. Each generation has it's own unique characteristics that appeal to different people. Not trying to be a sensitive Gen 1 owner - but remember without the Gen 1 - there would be no Gen 2 or Gen 3. BTW - that is one of the most beat up Gen 1's I have seen.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some more Gen III photos (my car)

-Enjoy

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know after looking at these pics I can tell you it took long enough for them to Close up the bottom of the gen 3's..As an owner of both a lambo diablo and a viper here are the close comparisons underneath..but remember my diablo is a 01..15 YRS OLD..

4718103_03451-med.JPG

4718103_0347-med.JPG

4718103_0346-med.JPG

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first generation Viper is like The Empire Strikes Back. The other generations are like Attack of the Clones. Bloated technologies are clearly a remarkable improvement to simple masterpieces.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
damn...my 15yr old '91 NSX seems to have more modern suspension parts. I never realized that about the Gen I and Lambos. Cool pictures. Anyone know what a Murcielago suspension looks like? Is it cast platinum? :laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960