Raptor Shift Light Install question

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search over the past few months and found a few posts on the raptor shift light. Noticed that a lot of guys had the same question I do : What wire do you hook up to?? Doesn't look like the question was ever answered. Anybody done this? I'm hooking mine up tonight.

Thanks,

Chad

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still on my bench. I will try to install when I hook up the rpm inputs for the oo2 system. Not sure when that will be though.

OP
OP
V

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ron. Gee, what's with you guys lately!!! The past few posts I've made have been viewed by a ton of poeple and NOT ONE PERSON HAS RESPONDED!!! When I had my Gen 1 car, I used to get a responce every minute!!! What's with the GEN 3 forum????

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I was in St. Louis and Minnesota for the past 10 days. Is that a good enough excuse? If not my computer (I am on my wife's) took a deep crap and decided to shred all the data on the hard drive. Ugh! And of course it was not backed up recently.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of posts that may help...as Raptor seemed to be unable to use the tach wire as described by several guys...NOTING that I have NOT tried one myself:

From some old posts that I found via "search"...hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------

" While I'm at it...here's the pinouts for Gen III from the 2003 and 2004 Service Manuals:

Powertrain Control Module C 1 (Black/Black 32 Way)

Cav 1....Ignition Coil No.4 Driver YL/GY

Cav 3....Ignition Coil No.3 Driver RD/YL

Cav 5....Ignition Coil No.5 Driver DG/GY

Cav 7....Ignition Coil No.1 Driver BK/GY

Cav 9....Ignition Coil No.2 Driver DB/TN

--------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Service Manual MAY represent a change, or an error, or BOTH in regards to the wire colors listed:

Powertrain Control Module C 1 (Black/Black 32 Way)

Cav 1....Ignition Coil No.4 Driver DB/YL

Cav 3....Ignition Coil No.3 Driver DB/OR

Cav 5....Ignition Coil No.5 Driver DB/YL (one wonders if the wire colors are a misprint as same color wire listed for Cav 1 and Cav 3)

Cav 7....Ignition Coil No.1 Driver DB/DG

Cav 9....Ignition Coil No.2 Driver DB/TN

HOPEFULLY, an someone more experienced than I can offer a little more insight here !!! Maybe, as folks do the install the shiftlight on Gen III's they can comment on the various wire colors found. In the end, COUNT the CAVITIES and all should be fine !!! "
-------------------------------------------------------
" For those INTERESTED, the Gen I tachometter signal comes off of Powertrain Control Module (has 3 rows of cavities) Cavity 43 GY/LB, BUT, remember that the Raptor unit seems unable to use this signal on a Gen II...so it sounds better to stick with a coil driver location for the signal when using the Raptor."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From above, one could suggest that on a Gen III, stick with a Coil Driver cavity as well...instead of taking a chance on the Gen III tach wire....and, by the way, I found out that module pinouts on 05's are same as 03's and 04's...BUT, there MAY be different colored wires on said pinouts...hot tip from a trusted Viper Tech.