Choosing and buying a helmet

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the summer approaches, I am getting ready to purchase a helmet. I am trying to figure out what I should be considering. I know weight is important and the Snell 2005 rating is important but what else? Do most people go with the open face or closed?

Additionally, how did people here buy their helmet - online or at a race shop? It would seem for fitment that I would be better to try a couple on before buying one, which would seem to make buying one online impractical. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
THe best way is to find a race shop and try on different ones. Be careful with the specs on the motorcycle helmets, I'm not sure they are the same and many of the cloubs are getting more strict. Below was taken from the PDA website.

2007 Helmet Requirement
For 2007, helmets must now be rated SA-2000 or better. M rated helmets (motorcycle) will no longer be accepted at tech.
Dave

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave is quite correct as motorcycle helmets are a different breed than car racing helmets. Check around and see if you can find a local speed shop that specializes in NASCAR race car parts. Impact and Simpson are 2 of the best but you really need to try the helmet on along with your Han's device to see if it fits properly. here is an on line link http://www.helmetcity.com/

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a shop and tried on several models of several brands of helmets to see what fit the best. I was surprised to see that a large in one brand was actually an extra large in another. Others were made for those with thin faces, and guys like me that have "full" (fat) cheeks can't close my mouth or I'll bite the inside of my mouth.

Several models now feature adjustable cheek pads in order to fully customize the fit. The strength difference between a M rated helmet and an SA rated helmet is amazing.

After all the fitting was complete, I called HELMET CITY. They offer a VCA discount, carry all of the brands, and super fast shipping.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you must try on a helmet before you buy it, or at least same brand/model you intend to buy. Should be snug but not tight.

DO NOT buy a motorcycle helmet for automotive use many clubs/groups will not let you run track days/driver ed. days with them(some MAY give you a one time pass, and some may not).

DOT and Snell ratings are very different and designed for different types of impacts. If you intention is for automotive use only buy an SA rated helmet and get an '05 date it will last longer(yes helmets expire or should i say have a time limit on use). Also try Racers Wholesale www.racerwholesale.com

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second what SylvanSRT says except buying anywhere you can't go try on the exact helmet your taking home. I can't imagine buying a helmet w/out trying it on 1st.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, If it's full face and good for a motorcycle, it should be more than enough for a car. I guess the manufacturers want more money.

K

Kaya

I bought a snell nomex helmet to participate in Viper days. I have several motorcycle helmets and that is all that is required for the drag racing that I was doing. I decided to spend the money at Christmas and get a automotive nomex (fire proof) helmet.

I would recommend that you get a Snell rated automotive nomex helmet if you want to meet most road racing requirements. I used Helmet city and purchased a Simpson Super Voyager. This helmet is about $400 if you want a color other than white or black. They come in a variety of colors (if you buy other than the basic models), which is nice. I looked at the helmets on the website. Followed the measurement guidelines and picked my helmet. Then I called Helmet city and asked to speak to someone about the measurement. I am a woman and I wear a small HJC and a medium KBC. So I wasn't sure about fit. (There are no shops that sell automotive helmets where I live) I was a little nervous about getting the wrong fit. The guy at Helmet city was fantastic. I told him my measurements and told him that I am in between sizes in different brands. His suggestions were perfect.

I got a beautiful helmet and it fits perfectly. I didn't have a single problem. I was really impressed and I got a discount. I think their customer service was awesome and I actually got a helmet that fits perfect...and I never tried it on. They would have changed the size if it had not fit.

Call them and talk to them...they really know the brands of helmets and the sizing. They got me the right size gloves also. The helmet was packed great and arrived safely.

I will purchase from them again!

Ohh and the Viper Days folks sell a great looking helmet bag....call Courtney and get one. It has the Viper days logo and it was only $45. Nice bag for my new helmet.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avi the type and number of impacts that M vs. SA helmets are designed to take are very different, if only stated by the fact that most car clubs, tracks, and automtive organizations will not accept M rated helmets.

As to the statement about full face helmets there has been/is debate going on whether they should be used in conjunction with cars that have airbags, and the possible effect the chin guard/full face section may have if the airbage deploys. I used to use a full face and when the ratings changed i bought an open face(along with the light weave) for comfort. i will not be doing any open wheel driving so a full face with a shield was not needed IMO

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Kaya. Thanks.

Sylvan: I would have thought the full face helmet would be better if you have an airbag. Is this incorrect?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been some discussion amongst SCCA and others that when an airbag deploys(and the driver/passenger have a full face helmet) that there is potential for the airbag to push up on the chin bar/gaurd and MAY put undo force or truama on the neck and head as it is pushed back. I do not know if there has been any conclusive answer whether or not this theory has been proven or not. I do know that when airbags are/were designed and tested that the tests did not include helmets (open or full face). i think there may be reference in the SCCA guidelines or rules book, again i am not sure if any definitive answer has been come too but some of the arguements make sense to me.

Reaction score
I like full face helmets:

1. If the chin get hit hard it can be pushed back to the point of breaking your neck. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilar_skull_fracture as in Dale Earnhardt
2. Ever go off track into the dirt, sand, mud, that stuff flies every were including your face. Not very good for your eyes.
3. Fire - nice to have some protection for your nose and face.

The speculation about an air bag is just that speculation! Dale Earnhardt death is not speculation! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Dale_Earnhardt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi