Putting on those break in miles

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got some seat time in the new Viper today. It was beautiful here in NY. I have almost 300mi. on the Viper and cant wait to complete the 1000 mi. break in period. I know some people say to drive it like you stole it from day one, but I'm going to go with Chuck from Tator Dodge and John from PartsRack advice and stay under 70mph with 500 rpm increments every 200 mi. until the 1,000 mi. mark. Then it's oil change time and drive it like you stole it time. :2tu: :drive:
Another thing; I think everyone that I passed on the street gave me a thumbs up and/or got a neck cramp from turning their head to stare at the Viper. Even a 70 y/o couple rolled down the window and yelled, "NICE CAR"!
I love driving a Viper. Never got that type of response from the C5.:nono: (I almost hate to mention that I used to own one)

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the owners manual says 500 miles, so that's what I did.
I'm now at 600, and have seen the light (the red shift light that is;) )!:drive: :2tu:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I nearly followed the break in recommendations, HOWEVER, I didn't use 6th much to avoid relatively high engine loads at low engine speed. I always run the revs up and down almost continuously to allow any break in heat and wear to be flushed away with the oil.

I don't think running at 70 in 6th is good during brake in. I have 16,850 miles in my past 22 months and don't run 6th unless I am doing 70 or higher.

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While at the 300 mile mark during break in period I got baited by a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo & the 06 Murcielago at the same time. Needless to say the break in period quickly became irrelevant to me. I now have 3400 miles on the snake and havent had any problems whatsoever.

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While at the 300 mile mark during break in period I got baited by a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo & the 06 Murcielago at the same time. Needless to say the break in period quickly became irrelevant to me. I now have 3400 miles on the snake and havent had any problems whatsoever.

How'd you do with the lambos??

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was cruising on the interstate 15 southern california at about 75 there was a pearl orange Gallardo three car lenths in front of me as I was waiting for target to make her move. All of a sudden I heard this high pitched sound on my left easing up on me as I looked over it was the Murcielago easing past. just as the Murci began to ease up on the Gallardo all hell broke lose between the Gallardo & the Murci I immediaelly joined the action as the Murci was now leading I shot past the Gallardo Just know that it was very close between the Snake and the Murci as I decellarted due to traffic conditions. By the way we were all friends coming from a business meeting. The 06 pearl orange Gallardo belongs to my wife the Murci belongs to a close family friend.

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to hear those stories cause up here in Rockford, (near Grand Rapids) Michigan there are no Lambos or really anything thats even competitive to fool around with.

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i'm going in between the two camps. i have about 800 miles on my car and i'm getting the oil changed tommorow. i have also been stepping rpms up and dow, keeping it under 70mph (170mph?) i'm gonna oil it again at 1,600 miles then start hammering on the car. that's why they make 'em isn't it!!!!!!