My car made me look like an ass yesterday

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got my car on the road. I put an aftermarket exhaust, Paxton supercharger and a supera wing on it. Like a proud new father I drove it to work. Lunch time I showed the car to a few co-workers. They loved it! It started and ran great. After work I came out from work with a whole bunch of co-workers. My key fob would not unlock my door. I panicked and thought I may have left something on and the battery was dead. I popped my rear hatch window (GTS), crawled inside and opened the door by using the mechanical door latch. Of course the alarm started going off. My car started getting a huge crowd around it. I was panicking. Making it look like I knew what I am doing I quickly opened my hood. The alarm would not stop. The engine would crank and the engine would run but would quit right a way. Someone in the crowd said your key fob battery was probably dead. I quickly went in to my work place and got a new battery and put it in my key fob. Now the key fob worked perfectly. I hit the unlock button and the car started fine and the alarm totally stopped. I mashed on the gas as I beat the car as I left the parking lot. My car put a big “L” on my far head. (looser)

Bolt

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In your little glove box ( between the seats) on the top side is a key hole. Insert key and turn off alarm. Wasn't that easy:lmao:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key fob marginally works on my Gen II. I have to hold it just in front of the driver's side door, about knee level, and hope. Most of the time it works. But, sometimes I have to "unlock" it multiple times. I had the same experience with having the alarm go off, and not knowing how to reset it. Fortunately, it will reset itself after a timeout period.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I wish I could have been there to see this go down. :omg:

That is what you get for spending all the money on your car without your wife knowing and telling your wife you are investing in the grand kids college fund:D

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also had to learn of the key hole in the glove box the hard way! :mad:
Nothing like not knowing how your car works in front of a crowd.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine got me on saturday. Except I don't have a glove box (modified by Autoform). My buddy found the switch on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early Gen IIs don't have the shut off switch in the glove box.

I've been there done that except i didn't have a crowd around my car watching me. You just need to hold down both buttons on your fob to reset the alarm and it will shut off.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After leaving the parking lot I went straight to the Dodge dealer and ordered a new Key fob.:drive:

Bolt

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about us Gen II guys that don't have the key hole in the glove box. Say that I did the same thing.

The key fob would not work so I opened the hatch and opened the door with the manual pull. The alarm goes off. If I can not go and get another battery for the fob how do I get home?

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If you have a '98, as your name indicates, you DO have the key hole. Stick your noggin' up to the glove box and look up - you oughta' see it.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how the battery on the key fob just dies without warning. I stopped in a store once, used the key fob to lock the car, was in the store 5 minutes came out and nothing.:mad: I panicked for 2 seconds, as the store I had gone in was a fabric store as I was recovering some chairs. :omg: I could just imagine calling a tow truck to the fabric store to tow my viper. :doh2: Luckily I looked up to find a menards next door. Got a battery and everything was fine. :cool: what I don't understand is how the thing just died. With all of my other cars, you know when it's dying.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry guys, my log in name was from my previous car. I now have a 97.

What about us Gen II guys that don't have the key hole in the glove box. Say that I did the same thing.

The key fob would not work so I opened the hatch and opened the door with the manual pull. The alarm goes off. If I can not go and get another battery for the fob how do I get home?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, my log in name was from my previous car. I now have a 97.

See my post from above. Reset the alarm and fob by holding both buttons down until you hear horn chirp. There should be enough juice left in the fob to unlock the door so you can get home.

This topic has been discussed years ago. Try doing a search.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me before as well. Looking like you are breaking into a car, is always a "fun" experience, especially at night. Yeah I could only imagine if I had to try explaining this one to the police.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have new style remotes for my 97. About two months ago I came out to my car after lunch and the remote wouldn't do anything at all. The remotes were pretty new so I knew it could have been the battery. Opened the fob up. There are little metal prongs that are bent to keep connectivity with the battery. I guess they weren't bent enough and had lost contact with the battery. Bent them a little more, put the fob back together and everything worked great. Whew! Close one. :)

-Chris

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I installed my ner reciever.
The NEW receiver works great. Works different than the original one in the car from the factory. When unlocking the original one blinked the lights three time extremely fast. Sometime it would chirp the horn. The new receiver seams more reliable and when unlocking the lights blink three time at a slower pase and consistent.

Read this:
There is a bad receiver floating around to be sold to some unsuspected Viper owner. Be careful I had to send the first receiver back.. It was tampered with. It must be floating around for some sucker to buy. It had tool marks on it like someone pried the plugs out with a screwdriver and the box was old and yellowed. I can not tell if it was someone’s used one that someone returned or if it was pulled out for testing. Either way it was not packaged properly. My new receiver came in antistatic paper and was rapped in protective brown anti shock paper to protect the unit if dropped.

Bolt

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" My car made me look like an ass yesterday "
Come on Bolt, Quit blaming the car. LOL

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That story is just priceless. I can see your face turning red and plams sweating. Thanks for sharing! :)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to frequent cruises in Michigan when living on the border, one time at the Downriver cruise I tossed a fan belt and puked my coolant overflow bottle in my hot rod. Funny how people enjoy a cynical laugh at those with nice cars.

Here's footage at the back of the trailer lot (all behind the camera man) which was rented out by a Mustang club, I always enjoy making an **** out of myself like making noise in their horse corral with a Mopar. I built this car from the ground up, 572 c.i. / 9.4L Hemi.

[URL]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Michigan_Cruise_Night_Back_Parking_Lot_WMV.wmv[/url]

Last edited: