It's hot inside my new 06 Coupe

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Roe supercharged ACR that I drove a lot everywhere in the States. This ACR didn't have air conditioning. I have been in Texas, New Orleans on race tracks and I never complained about heat inside the cockpit. My friends were always wondering how the hell I was able to support that level of heat in the cockpit. The truth is that my ACR was running "cold". It never had any overheating issue, inside, outside or under the hood.

I have been owning a 06 Coupe for a couple of days and the first thing that stunned me was the heat (beside that it rides and brakes 10 times better than my old ACR) !!! Everytime I get out of the Viper I have the impression that I am in Death Valley, Ca. What makes that amount of heat ?! I am in Canada and the temperature is rather cold around 70F.

By the way the air conditionning runs perfectly. I rarely use the AC in Canada but in this Viper the AC seems to be a must even in cold weather.

What are the best mods to reduce the heat ?

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had mine for a week now (1800 miles), and I have not had an issue with heat. AC on the feet works fine for me with the windows open. Although I do plan on a few improvements to still lower the heat.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not saying that the 06 Viper has an issue. Just comparing the heat inside the cockpit of my supercharged ACR with the 06 Coupe. The 06 Coupe runs perfectly. It doesn't over heat at all ! The AC is one of the most effective ones that I have ever seen.

Having 200F under the hood is "normal" but having 120F in the cockpit without the AC is a painfull experience.

Just an interesting fact:

- Under the hood the ACR head's temperature was around 140F-150F.
- Under the hood the Coupe head's temperature is around 180-190F.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have been told, the main problem is in the exhaust. The crossover and catalytic converters are the main causes of the overbearing interior heat. I have not modified my car yet but plan on it. From what others have said, buying an aftermarket exhaust, such as the Corsa track, without crossover and removing the cats, will remove the problem. Maybe somebody who has made such mods will reply to this thread.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same intense heat in my 06 vert. Forget driving it without the A/C on the floorboard. Even with the top down I had to have the A/C on the floor!

DC Performance, took out the stock system & crossover. Installed the 2.5" cat back Corsa Track. It is much cooler. I can drive the car now, without burning up...

I didn't want the HF cats, because Dan told me I would have smog issues in a couple of years. If I had removed the stock cats, it would have been cooler yet.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat issue is a big problem on SRT vipers in warmer climates. I live in CT and it roasts me here but when I go to Lincoln, NH it is perfect. Humid weather makes it worst. The A/C is just about useless in my 2003. Part of the problem is the fact the the rear of the hood is not sealed at the bottom of the windshield thus it dumps hot engine air into the A/C-Heater intake duct. I have installed PSA Foam, 1/2" thick, to the rear edge of the hood and it has cut down the cabin temps a lot. If you are not a believer take a infrared thermometer and turn your floor heater on when the engine is cold and take a reading. Then do it once the engine is hot and you will see that it is sucking in hot air. The other problem is the placement of the hood louvers. They also dump hot air into the heater duct making the A/C useless here in CT. The 2008 Viper has addressed this issue by moving the louvers more forward. For ideas on eliminating most of the heat in from your exhaust system please see our web site below.

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Robbie

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
elimanate the crossover(with a cat back) if you can get away with removing cats in the great white north do it.(this will go a long way towards fixing heat issue)

do not use an exhaust insulation to try and solve heat problem.

make sure A/C is on max setting when in use

buy Jeff Lemke's (AP Engineering) replacement hood with revised(similar to '08's) vents and you should be in great shape.

buy a 170degree thermostat and DC performance reflash computer(PCM, buy another one and keep the stock in case of warranty issues) this will change the fan control setting, and remove skip shift along with other helpful changes

good luck enjoy the new ride

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent observations, Racer Robbie. I am going to take a look at the rear of the hood. What is PSA foam and where can somebody get it?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sylvan is right. Also, Roe Racing sells a side pipe insulation kit that will GREATLY lower your cockpit temp. My car used to roast me like Pe King Duck before I made the mods of eliminating the crossover and adding the insulation. Call Sean Roe at Roe RAcing, it will make your Viper experience MUCH more enjoyable when you follow Sylvans and my advice (and make your car run stronger!).

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easy way to reduce cockpit temps is simply remove the secondary pair of cats - you will not set off any codes, etc. And you could take it a couple steps further if so desired by wrapping the exhaust in the sills (Roe kit) and/or eliminating the crossover, as others have said.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easy way to reduce cockpit temps is simply remove the secondary pair of cats - you will not set off any codes, etc. And you could take it a couple steps further if so desired by wrapping the exhaust in the sills (Roe kit) and/or eliminating the crossover, as others have said.

Ditto...have done above and heat on driver's side has diminished. ~juli~

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Schulman,

I don't know your smog situation, but the cheapest way to remove heat from your cabin is to hollow out 2 or more of your cats.

A more "environmentaly" friendly solution is to install the Corsa Track. Crossovers don't add much heat compared to the two huge cats on each side of the car, but removing them will help a bit.

DC's computer re-flash includes the installation of a 170 degree thermostat, turns the engine cooling fan on at lower engine coolant temps and a few other goodies. This will help too.

If you choose to keep cats, high flow cats don't get nearly as hot as the OE cats.

The A/C in my 06 Coupe is very effective. Perhaps some things have changed since 03, but I've not found it necessary to mess with my hood or exterior air intake vent. I do always run the a/c in the "recirc" position however.

Good luck,

Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stock cats and did the corsa, Roe insulation and, most recently, the 170 thermostat/DC Programming and no problems with heat at all. Only issue still is the side sills when getting back into the car on an extremely warm day after lots of driving. Heat soak is a killer. Still not nearly as bad a stock.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent observations, Racer Robbie. I am going to take a look at the rear of the hood. What is PSA foam and where can somebody get it?

Alex,

Go to NAPA and ask for 1/2" wide x 7/16" thick closed cell PSA foam which has a removable tape backing on it so it will self stick. If you can find a dealer in your area that handles AUVECO products the part number is 4859. You can see AUVECO on line at http://auveco.com/. I believed I doubled the foam up, that is one on top of the other, to get enough height. you want to match the height of the foam in the center of the hood so that when you close the hood you can not look in with a flashlight. I was also read the other day in the viper magazine that the intake for the A/C gets dirty and needs to be removed and cleaned out. When it is dirty it cuts down on the flow of cold air from the ducts.

Robbie

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any heat problems and I use it for a daily driver in Vegas!

I just keep in on the first recirculate postion ALWAYS. Even with the air not on.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys I will implement all these improvements.
Don't get me wrong the AC runs 10/10 but it has to be on even with the windows open ...

I think that the AC vent ***** into the cockpit some hot air from under the hood ...

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
removing the crossover pipes and factory cats and using the entire Bellange system worked wonders down her in Louisiana. Even the side sills are cool enough to put your hand on them and keep it there. Between the factory cats and the crossover pipes being removed, any kind of straight-back exhaust would be an improvement on cabin toasting.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone find it ironic in this day and age of technology that on a modern car we have to go to such extremes to cool down our cars, especially for an 80K plus car? There are lots of 400 plus horsepower cars that don't fry their occupants. Just seems strange we all put up with this.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to agree with the above, it is a joke. But I have to tell you, My Ferrari was a lot worst. It used to fry my back to the point that the dye would come out of my shirt and stick to the tan seats. For the record my A/C is next to useless. No one can figure out why. All the pressures are spot on and their are no restriction. It only drops the inside air to about 10 degrees. USELESS

Robbie

Robbie

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally I have made all the changes that I could do easily to my new Coupe:
- Removed cats
- Removed crossover
- Added 170F thermostat

I understand that these improvements are effective in Texas or Florida but in Cadana ... there is not really need for.

Result :
- Very little improvement inside globally
- Though the car is cooler outside when I get out.
- I no longer have the impression being in Death Valley.

So I started analysing the heat issue again guess what ?!
I have likely identified the issue: It is the air intake box of the AC
The air intake box is located above the engin without any isolation.

The AC air intake box's temperature is 145F after a short cruise on the hwy !!!

The radiant heat from the engin is just cooking that box. That's really a bad design.

Anybody has a kit to relocate the AC intake box or is there an isolation kit ?

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the air intake box to be the issue with my heat problems on my 96 as well. I bought a self adhesive insulation product at NAPA. Cut my own pieces and put it on. What a difference!

I planning on doing the same thing in my 06 coupe.

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone find it ironic in this day and age of technology that on a modern car we have to go to such extremes to cool down our cars, especially for an 80K plus car? There are lots of 400 plus horsepower cars that don't fry their occupants. Just seems strange we all put up with this.

I agree with this statement also, so there is obviously a design flaw with the factory exhaust setup, and no recalls or warranty available from Dodge to correct this?

Why would anyone have to go to any length to correct an issue created by the manufacturer??

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
By the way the air conditionning runs perfectly. I rarely use the AC in Canada but in this Viper the AC seems to be a must even in cold weather.

NOTE: There was a TSB-RAB on the A/C of some early 06 SRT10s whose refrigerant was contaminated. Have the dealer check your VIN but since you say it works perfectly it is likley NOT this small issue. Does it blow 45-degrees or 65 degrees. TAKE THE TEMP !

1) The trans, motor, and SS OE headers are hot amidships.
2) The crossover behind seats serves as a dual-baseboard space heater, always ON
3) The side-sill mufflers are restrictive heat-soaks
4) FOUR cats in sill and at foot box round out the ROLLING CONVECTION OVEN you own.

--Eliminate the crossover....suggest a Corsa Track ($1349 on sale)
--The Corsa sill temps are TESTED 125-130f degrees cooler.
--Add Random tech Cats ($595) to lower sill and fotbox tems by 150f.
--PartsRack is a distributor for ASP Engineering Vented Hood, and AutoForm Vented Hood.
--Drive Happy.........

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Put A/C on RECIRC, avoid the A/C intake box in the engine compartment.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past week when I was changing the plugs and wires on my 2003 viper I found a huge cause of why the A/C stops delivering COLD air once the engine has warmed up. If you put your hand under the A/C intake plenum, next to the r h firewall, you will find a large hole that draws in hot air from the exhaust manifold. This explains why the A/C is cold with the engine cols and warmer when the engine has warmed up. This hole is provided to drain excess water from the air intake next to the windshield. I formed a flat piece of aluminum plate and epoxied it under the plastic plenum so that only about 1/2" is open toward the rear of the car for the water to drain. This has made a huge improvement in the A/C cabin temperature.

Robbie

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey
i have to say that the cabin in my stock o6 cp is freezing on hot days with the a/c on.
i use recirc and the fan is abt 3 clicks clockwise.
i usually drive with the window cracked open.....if i close the window i have to turn the air down.
not kidding.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Roe supercharged ACR that I drove a lot everywhere in the States. This ACR didn't have air conditioning. I have been in Texas, New Orleans on race tracks and I never complained about heat inside the cockpit. My friends were always wondering how the hell I was able to support that level of heat in the cockpit. The truth is that my ACR was running "cold". It never had any overheating issue, inside, outside or under the hood.

I have been owning a 06 Coupe for a couple of days and the first thing that stunned me was the heat (beside that it rides and brakes 10 times better than my old ACR) !!! Everytime I get out of the Viper I have the impression that I am in Death Valley, Ca. What makes that amount of heat ?! I am in Canada and the temperature is rather cold around 70F.

I drive my stock 2006 Coupe viper for 3 hours in 85-90 degree weather and the interior is nice and cool.

I sugguest having your thyroid checked(could be keeping you too warm if it is out of wack), or have the dodge dealer check your A/C. Something ain't right.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does you A/C sometimes blow lukewarm air due to engine RPM. I've only driven my car a bit so far, and I noticed that yes most of the time the A/C blows ice cold, but every now and then, it seems like (and I can't figure out if it's because I'm on or off the gas) it starts to blow some lukewarm air. (This is with the setting on recirculate, so it's not getting it from the main intake box).

Or is something maybe a little whacked with my A/C??