Finally got it tuned @ DC Performance Today

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I made it to DC Performance today to get the car tuned, as some of you have seen on another thread. It hasn't rained in five months here, well guess what happened today. I left the house at 5AM to get the beast down to Dan's with minimal traffic and it starts pouring go figure. The rest of the day was great as Chris "THE TUNER" did an amazing job of working out all the issues that the bigger cam caused. Chris worked a solid 5 hours of dyno time to get it perfect. Anyway here's the video............

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g113/camfab/?action=view&current=a2fd8f8d.flv

I want to thank Dan Craigin for taking the time to answer all my questions along the way during my build and Jeff Morys @ JM Cylinder heads for building a great product. Thanks guys:2tu:

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DynoJet or Mustang or ??? 580/581 corrected I assume? Whats your engine management by chance AEM? Very interested....

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DynoJet or Mustang or ??? 580/581 corrected I assume? Whats your engine management by chance AEM? Very interested....

Dynojet, management is all OEM. What makes the numbers amazing to me is, the fact that those SVS headers are only 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" primary tube size. I bought the headers used before I decided to go this route. The intake manifold has not been touched at all either. I was going to port match the intake, but I had some concerns about another issue and decided not to port match the manifold until I new there were no issues. Yesterday was a not a great day weather wise as well, high temps coupled with extreme humidity don't make for great numbers. I'm certain that a larger primary tube and a port match would push this thing over six hundred rwhp, I just can't justify the expense for the headers at this point. I'm sure given time, I'll yank the intake and match port it to the heads.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you mind listing all the Mods to acheive those numbers? Do you have stock fuel management and pistons?
thanks,
Pavenom

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys the fuel system is bone stock. I'll post details tonight, typing off a pda blows.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely interested in seeing the full list of mods, those are the same numbers I'd like to hit on my ACR eventually.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Armin,
I must admit that the quality of the work you did was top notch.

I think that the most amazing thing about this build up was our ability to tune it with the stock PCM and still keep all the emissions related parts installed for street use.

660hp and 49 state legal, that's an accomplishment.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.
310-841-6996
dcperformance.com

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn I cant stand being right all the time.

Told you 600rwhp would be doable with an AEM and a few other minor tweaks. And you thought low 500's were realistic, heh.

What was the air/fuel on that pull? How much timing?

Dan, how the hell are you getting that much fuel from the factory injectors you have AEM and my self baffled.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Told you 600rwhp would be doable with an AEM and a few other minor tweaks. And you thought low 500's were realistic, heh.

Dan, how the hell are you getting that much fuel from the factory injectors you have AEM and my self baffled.

Russ - I don't think a set of JM heads is a "minor tweak". :) I'm sure that's the key ingredient for the power it made.

Camfab - do you have the ported stock castings, or a set of Striker heads (street or race)? Congrats on the numbers!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ - I don't think a set of JM heads is a "minor tweak". :) I'm sure that's the key ingredient for the power it made.

Camfab - do you have the ported stock castings, or a set of Striker heads (street or race)? Congrats on the numbers!

I am aware of that, this was about our phone conversation where I told Armin(Camfab) that he should make 600rwhp with an AEM, along with all the other mods he did.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, the car was tuned with the factory pcm. If you look closely towards the end of the video, as the camera pans, you will see a opened factory pcm with some wires and other things attached to it.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo Camfab !!!
Congratulations on a job extremely well done !!!!!

You BETTER come out and play on 8/11. The SoCal group is planning a run either in Malibu or Ojai. Details to come.

Lance

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments guys! Here's a pic of the dyno chart...........

ArmenDyno3.jpg

motorswap.jpg

Mods...

JM Stryker heads (street version)
JM Cam
Headers
High flow cats
Corsa Exhaust
At Least 300 hours of my time, every part was inspected, mic'd and modified where necessary.

Pics can be viewed in another thread "What's up in my garage?"

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mods...

JM Stryker heads (street version)
JM Cam
Headers
High flow cats
Corsa Exhaust
At Least 300 hours of my time, every part was inspected, mic'd and modified where necessary.

Pics can be viewed in another thread "What's up in my garage?"

Again I'm impressed

Were there any other mods? Throttle bodies? UD pulleys? Alum Flywheel? Gears?

PS I love the seal gray, I had a 2000 SG with stripes ACR back in 2000. I have a 2001 GTS now. I sold it to a guy in CA you man know him.

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Matt,
I was the one who bought your ACR in 2002. I have been doing minor mods and having lots of fun with it. Lots of track time and about 20,000 miles later it still runs strong. If you get the Viper Quarterly there is a picture of your old car in my garage somewhere in the middle of the magazine. If you'r ever in San Diego, be sure and drop by.
Kurt

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Matt,
I was the one who bought your ACR in 2002. I have been doing minor mods and having lots of fun with it. Lots of track time and about 20,000 miles later it still runs strong. If you get the Viper Quarterly there is a picture of your old car in my garage somewhere in the middle of the magazine. If you'r ever in San Diego, be sure and drop by.
Kurt

WOW, that’s crazy! I often wonder about what happened to that car. Glad to here you still have it, and it's still going strong.

I'm interested in what mods you did to it, shoot me a PM.

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt,
Mods have been pretty basic. First things have been replaced: new clutch, new motor mounts, new shocks (under warranty), door hinges and harnesses, hood hinges and engine fan. Mods have been basic, muffler delete with a SnakeOyl exhaust, Roe fan kit, Roe cold air kit (yes I cut up the front fascia, but engine temps were down 15-20 degrees at Willow Springs compared to previous runs), PCM work from West Coast Viper, under drive pully set from WCV, Dave's Big Brakes, New harneses, Roe hoses, High temp wires, MGW cosmetic stuff and a bunch of other stuff. Biggest bang for the buck was new motor mounts that cut 0.2 off the 1/4 mile.

Button Willow, March 2007

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the car was tuned with the factory pcm. If you look closely towards the end of the video, as the camera pans, you will see a opened factory pcm with some wires and other things attached to it.

Again, I know this...

Hence the reason he only made 581 ;)

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, I know this...

Hence the reason he only made 581 ;)

I see Russ, you are saying that the AEM will allow the car to make another twenty horse power, correct? This car was tuned for maximum power, the engine did not want any more ignition timing, so what would the AEM provide that would make this twenty horse power difference? Not that I’m a AEM expert, but I have installed and tuned more than a few, and have not seen anything that was specifically better about them as far as making maximum power on a normally aspirated engine.

Six hundred rear wheel horse power would not surprise me if this car was dynoed on a different dyno, such as a Dynojet 248 with the older dos winpep software, on a cooler, drier day.

- Chris

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again I'm impressed

Were there any other mods? Throttle bodies? UD pulleys? Alum Flywheel? Gears?

PS I love the seal gray, I had a 2000 SG with stripes ACR back in 2000. I have a 2001 GTS now. I sold it to a guy in CA you man know him.

NO throttle bodies, pulleys, Al flywheel....gears yes, but they will actually reflect as a small loss in power on the dyno. Stock pistons, rods, crank and bearings. Lots of detail work in the motor.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see Russ, you are saying that the AEM will allow the car to make another twenty horse power, correct? This car was tuned for maximum power, the engine did not want any more ignition timing, so what would the AEM provide that would make this twenty horse power difference? Not that I’m a AEM expert, but I have installed and tuned more than a few, and have not seen anything that was specifically better about them as far as making maximum power on a normally aspirated engine.

Six hundred rear wheel horse power would not surprise me if this car was dynoed on a different dyno, such as a Dynojet 248 with the older dos winpep software, on a cooler, drier day.

- Chris

Wondering....
Is there issues with the temperature differentials tuning a N/A car like the guys see when tuning a Roe car? Seems as if the guys have different cards for different temperatures. I dont understand why the computer cant compensate for the charge temps on the SC cars.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO throttle bodies, pulleys, Al flywheel....gears yes, but they will actually reflect as a small loss in power on the dyno. Stock pistons, rods, crank and bearings. Lots of detail work in the motor.

Thanks for the info! Ya steeper gears will lower Dyno #'s. Man that thing would be over 600 most likely with stock gear, and a few more bolt on's. That is sick for a N/A car you just fill up with 91 oct and go… I bet it’s a blast to drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery