Changing Spark Plug Questions

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I still do not know what the answer is? Do I use anti-seizing compound or not? I would guess Tator would know the definitive answer to this question. The manual does say to torque to 20 ft lbs which is what I will do.

Sounds like anti-seize is good insurance...i'd call Tator, worst thing that happens is he teaches you something new. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I still do not know what the answer is? Do I use anti-seizing compound or not? I would guess Tator would know the definitive answer to this question. The manual does say to torque to 20 ft lbs which is what I will do.

As I pointed out in the first reply, this is a heated topic of which you will have to make a decision. It sounds like you don't want to make a decision. You want to be told. But it sounds like though you have decided to let Tator be the one to tell you.

Good luck.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always use copper-based (can take a lot more heat) anti-seize on plugs,being on my viper or other vehicles and have never used a torque wrench, after wrenching on cars for many years, you do get a "feel" for how much torque need to be applied.

For me, putting anti-seize is a no-brainer, there is no down-side to using it compared to the risk of running into problems if not using it.

Luc 00GTS

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks its defintely worth the time to remove the airbox on the passenger side to make getting at those plugs a piece of cake?

Works for me!

I remove my air box when doing the plugs, it definitely does help. Now when it comes to reaching back to the coil packs for the last couple cylinder wires, nothing but creating a new joint in my forearm helped :crazy2:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, you guys are making me sound like an old hand at working on cars. Changing out the plugs on the Viper was easy as pie. Did not need to remove the air box. Don't see how that would help, honestly (if my memory serves me correctly). Well forward of the work going on for the plugs. For Jaguars, you have to remove the whole intake to get at one bank of the plugs. Viper is clear. Well designed.

Heck, try to change them out on a 89 Firebird V8. Now that requires three extra joints in your arm! The next gen F body, they decided to put in platinum plugs as they were just a royal pain in the butt to do.

Even a novice can do the plugs on the Viper. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being most difficult, this one is a 2.

A battery replacement on the Viper is MUCH more difficult.