Better to buy a 93-94 and get Venom 500 package or start with a 96-97 GTS w/ a Gen II

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not really an expert on this so take this with that in mind. I bought a '94 RT after going through some of the same questions you are. There are a lot of ways to get more HP out of the Gen I engine then just the Venom 500. Not that there is anything wrong with the Venom package, in fact I have heard nothing but good about them, but there are others out there too. Check out some other sites like BTRViper as well.

As far as resale though I would assume that the newer one would sell for more, you won't get your money back in mods unless you find just the right buyer later on. Although, you'll never sell it unless you trade it in for the 2003 model right?!

As I have heard on this site a number of times, buy what you like and what you are comfortable with...and if you want more horsepower, both the Gen I and Gen II engines have lots of room for increases. I don't know the exact list of differences between the RT and the GTS (and of course the ACR) but driving ones of equal HP, I can't feel any difference and I think that is what counts. So which one looks better to you is the question?

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buckeye:

It totally depends on what you want the car for. If you want to use it as a daily driver, or run it on a road race track the Gen 2 GTS has some improvements in the suspension and engine performance (it's also lighter in weight than the older RT's).

If all you want is to use your car asa weeekend cruiser and you have to have the air in your face, and you're not driving your car at it's limits then the Gen 1 RT is fine (RT's changed to the Gen 2 improvements in '97). Some early Gen 1 RT's had inconsistant build quality.

The bottom line is that you can't lose whichever way that you go. Jump in and enjoy your decision. There is a great bunch of people in the VCA. Good luck.

Reaction score
The only thing I can comment on is the Venom 550 for a Gen I 1995 engine. My car has 4,500 miles on it and runs strong. The Venom package was put on the car at 20 miles. Dyno has tested it to have 560 HP, approx. 100 more than the base 1997 and newer cars. However, the newer cars can easily obtain the same kind of HP with some modifications. The older cars do not have modern day power windows(or even windows) or locks, airbags, or abs. But that is what makes those cars special, they also have side pipes, which the new cars do not have. Therefore, it boils done to what you want. I chose the 1995 model and am very happy with it. Also, I think a Hennessey Venom package will eventually be a collectors item, instead of isolated upgrades.

Sincerely,

John

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just food for thought - for the low $50k that a Z06 costs you can pick up a 1996 GTS Coupe with low milage. Which would you rather have for your $50k?? I'll take the Viper...

By the way, this reasoning has led to us owning 2 1996 Coupes!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper