Everyone says get warranty- What usually breaks on these cars?

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can only speak for myself but...I have
67,000 miles on my GTS and it would have been a waste of dinero for me! Anyhow, if you get
into performance mods to any extent it
gives them a way out of liability.!
These cars are as reliable as anyhthing made!!!

Reaction score
Houston weather is nasty. It's so hot, I had some real problems before I got the huge radiator. Some times about 240. Its getting better now. I wish it was about 60 here all the time.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,
Albert,
That signature is looking awfully fimiliar. LIke a corvetteforum.com signature.. They even list Zaino in theirs!!

You must be registered for see images
)
Gerald

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellowing side sills are seen on grey, silver and

also on white Vipers

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What goes wrong on your Viper will have a lot to do with how well you take care of it. The warranty plan is worth it for the simple fact that a new engine will cost you between $12,000-25,000 big ones. Don't take the risk if someone else will!

The best case scenario is that you buy it and never have to use it! I love the fact that my 7 year old Viper has never needed a warranty claim. Good luck.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What usually breaks on a Viper?? That's easy. A Viper owner if he has a problem with his car that's not covered under warranty. The thing is, as far as parts are concerned, most everything is replaced as a "package". Many arts are relatively expensive because you may NOT be able to get the separate little "thing-a-majig" without buying the whole enchilada. ONE single warranty claim is likely going to justify the money you spent for the service contract. IMO, it's the best "add-on" you can ever purchase for your Viper.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Take Steve's advice. The Viper doesn't have any more problems than a normal car ( and much fewer than most exotics ), but like any purebreed, handbuilt vehicle, when something does go wrong it can be expensive to fix. The price at any of the major Viper Dealers is usually quite reasonable, and will also help on resale - as it is a high criteria among many buyers.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the warrantee about 1 1/2 years ago on our '94. It did not get sold as new until '96 so we had a good advantage there. Nothing major has happened to it, but a couple of minor repairs so far, like a chaffed up air conditioning line, leaking camshaft timing sensor, altogether, things that would have added up to about half of what the warrantee cost. However I did not buy it for these reasons, I got it as cheap insurance so that nothing major goes on it. So far, its paid off, haven't had to use it for anything like that.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Warranties are definitely worth the money! The previous owner of my 94 had purchased the extended warranty so all I had to pay was the $50 to transfer it over to me.
If you ever sell the car it's a good selling point to the buyer too.

That was the best $50 I've ever spent. Earlier this year I took the car in (at 18K miles) to have an assortment of leaks fixed (coolant, oil, tranny, rear end), none of these were really major leaks. The total bill came up to $4400 in warranty claims.
They ended up replacing the tranny because when they pulled the front bearing retainer to replace the seal, the bearing race fell out of the case. From what the Service Manager (a friend of mine) was told this is a common problem.

I know the previous owner had the rearend replaced under warranty (14K miles).

At this point the car is at the dealer to have stripes painted on
and to replace the right 1/2 shaft. The 1/2 shaft lists for $900 (plus labor), my cost will only be $50 for the deductible.

A friend of mine got a 96 RT/10, he bought the ext. warranty and is glad he did. The fuel pump started going out shortly after be got it. A $900 dollar repair that all he had to pay was the $200 deductible on his plan.

Even if you never use it it's cheap insurance and well worth the peace of mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper