Pressure Washer?

John D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For best results when washing your cars, do pressure washers work better than just a nozzle on a garden hose? Also, does anybody know what the maximum safe pressure is for paint? I wouldn't want to use a pressure washer and spray the paint off.

Reaction score
I dont think you will spray off your paint unless there is a chip somewhere and the paint is flaked, but the detergents in those high pressure washing stations will cut right through any wax or polish (ZAINO!!!!!) you might have applied. Just stick to the bucket filled with zaino car wash and the ole garden hose. My $.02 worth.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that MANY folks have recommended against pressure washing, INCLUDING even a spray nozzle on a hose...some real "finish freaks" cut off the hose fitting so the end of the hose won't "ding" the paint. There are probably data out there on such a question, might be interesting to see ...but personally, I'll follow a more gentle approach, including Sal Zaino's recommendations.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my God - don't do it!!!! I saw some folks in Vegas pay someone with a portable pressure washer to wash their cars and I thought I would have a heart attack. A pressure washer can pick up any spot in the paint that is weak - we have a couple of spots where the stripes are funny - and _may_ lift it. The pressure has a bad way of getting into places that may be weak or marginally sealed - have you seem someone with a headlight filled with water before? Depending on where you hit the weatherstripping you can get the interior wet, or worse, cut the weather stripping. Sal recommends just running water over your car as opposed to a spray at all. The way to remove dirt I think is with a good wash product and a fluffy washcloth to lift the crappy stuff off and away from your car. Rinse the washcloth FREQUENTLY in a separate bucket of clean water to remove anything that could scratch and take your time. A couple of washings to get it really clean is better than the blast it away approach, IMO. As an aside, if house window manufacturers don't recommend a pressure washer that may tellus something. Keep the pressure wahser for the concrete areas, not the cars.
You must be registered for see images

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni states some very good points!! I would NEVER use a pressure washer on my 94 for several reasons (H2O in the cabin, potentially ******* paint, etc.) However, it's your car and you must decide what best fits your needs. Good luck.

davisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never use power washer on a cars paint. it is the equivelent of "wet" sandblasting. Gauranteed to dull and damage your paint over time.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a pressure washer...and never use it, except on my car trailer. I just use the hose with a nozzle attachment. When rinsing your car, you are far better off to allow a slow stream (like with the nozzle removed) to run over the car. This will allow the water to "sheet" off making the car easier to dry. It's an old detailer's trick. In my experience, pressure washers don't make the job any better or easier unless, as mentioned above, you are doing a HUGE area, using the big brush, and aren't concerned about the finish.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Janni, particularly regarding keeping the interior dry. I'm careful yet I always plan on an extra towel just to dry minor puddles inside both door openings.
You must be registered for see images

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are all full of it. I have a red 97 GTS and have used a 1900 psi hot water (110 deg. F) pressure washer since I have owned the car. I will defy you to tell me that my paint is any less glossy than a new Viper right off the show room floor. I use Zainos and get asked at every track event, what I use to get such a high gloss finish. I also use a blower to dry the car. As BigJim says, just keep a safe distance with the sprayer, like 1 ft. plus. In my opion, there is no better way to wash the car, since it does such a great job on wheels, wheel wells and bugs on the front fascia.