Potential new owner- buy used or new?

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a Viper, but not sure whether to buy new or new, assuming money is not a problem. Main concern would be repairs (not really mechanically gifted and no certified Dodge Viper dealer in 250 miles). I read Jay Herbert's article on buying a Viper, but not discuss cost/benefits issues, rather more into personal preferences for certain years based on color, hp, etc. Are there compelling reasons to buy the earlier models? Are the new ones more reliable, features worth having? Anyway, I read the message boards, the activities and hope to be an owner soon. Thanks for any guidance or places I can go to get it.
Mr. D

Reaction score
I bought a new one because I wanted to be the one abusing it. You never know what someone has done to the car before you. Also has some one tampered with the mileage? I have heard so many horror stories from viper techs about that.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If money is no object than I would probably get a new one. Of course you may end up on a waiting list for a really new one.

I bought a 94 RT a few months ago but it was a good deal and I like some of the early model features, like sidepipes, etc.

More mods are available for later models (Gen II) as well so if you are planning on tweaking it that would be another reason. I guess with anything, buy as new as you can afford and pick the car you like. Of course if money is no object than brand new would be the choice.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought used. Never considered new due to several factors that have already been mentioned. I think that you could find what you want in a good used Viper, and save a little $$$. If money is not a major concern, that new car smell is always nice
You must be registered for see images
If you are interested in buying a great used viper, my brother is selling his 96 GTS. Let me know if you would like more details.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Above posts offer EXCELLENT advice and insights...would add that first couple of hundred miles MOST important( in my opinion ), and may very well set the mechanical trends for car's future(especially ENGINE'S)!!! If money NOT an issue, and unless you are a serious mechanic, should consider NEW...would't worry too much about finding a new one,as they are out there. Happy hunting, and whatever you decide,you are going to have a BLAST with your Viper

Reaction score
If money is no object I would buy a new one. Cause I want to be the one to use and abuse it. You may want to check the Viper Club For Sale Section and see if there are any used ones in it. Thanks and good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper