How many of you bought NEW?

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in the market for a Viper.I really want to do a dealer order and watch it roll off the truck.I have been told that it may be wise to pick one up with ultra low miles.

Whats your take on this subject?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought new. If you want to buy new, go to Woodhouse (Bill Pemberton), in Omaha. They deliver to your door (a lot). Great prices, great folks, sells a lot. You'll be glad you did.

OP
OP
T

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"They deliver to your door" Do they do it off a carrier or does the dealer prep it and have it trailered over?
Thanks-

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper chassis is dynoed before the body panels go on. If you got your car new with on three miles on it, it was a low mileage 'New' car.
Finding a car with low mileage is easy. The warrant coverage is a substantial as the the Viper is rugged. Buying a one or two year old Viper would be a safe bet if the car has not been wrecked. Get the cars history from the dealer.

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine new. Had 8 miles on her when she got to my dealer. I went through a local dealer and had them put a locate on a new one for me. Reason for that was he gave me 5k off sticker to $69,000 and a low interest rate that I could not pass up. Mine was stuck somewhere in BFE Missouri and was sitting on a dealers showroom floor for about 6 months. He couldn't sell it and was ready to get rid of it. Lucky for me! I got to watch it roll of the truck(very scary by the way) and be brought to me. Shook hands with the owner of the dealership and was on my merry way. If not for the great deal I got here, I would have called Bob as well! Good luck in your quest!

Reaction score
I went to one daeler about 25 miles from house he said right off the top of his head on a 2001 rt, $5,000. he had zip for info this was 9/10/00 just give $10,000. went to a dealer a bit closer and sat down with one of the owners SIGNED ON THE DOTTED LINE IN 5 MINUTES. Very pleasant, allowed me to buy parts aa a dealer, INVOICE $1,200. Had a good feeling when I left Westminister Dodge, Dorchester Ma. Later after I had received my Vin # I found Melton Dodge he was willing to sell at or below Invoice but he was way out west Ok. If you look serious most dealers will work with you. I called the largest dealer he was going to get me a ride in a Viper. He was soooo helpful, bottom line he would order me one and ONLY CHARGE ME LIST. Good Luck

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Essentially, watching it "roll off the truck" is exactly that....it just gets carefully removed off Reliable's truck.

I'd suggest not making that a huge factor in your decision..concern yourself with price, color, and availability.

Good Luck!

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 2000 GTS from Bill over at Woodhouse brand new (www.woodhouse.com).

They trucked it over (enclosed) and I'm quite a happy camper. Those guys were a pleasure to work with.

RECOIL
Black/Silver GTS

Ray R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you live next door to the dealer, or you have one delivered to your house, it's not likely that you'll be able to watch it "roll off the truck". The drivers simply do not have the time to wait for you to arrive.

I bought mine new. My local dealer gave me the best price I could find. Woodhouse will make you feel better and more comfortable about your purchase, though. It also depends on how much patience you have to wait for an order.

I looked at used low mileage models as well. Vipers maintain their resale quite well. And when you factor in shipping costs, for me a used one wasn't much of a savings over the great price I got on a new one.

Food for thought....

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '96 GTS used and saved over $20,000 compared to the cost of a new one. I had 5 or 6 to chose from within 100 miles of my house and only had to drive it 50 miles back home. But then living near a major market like Chicago does help.
You must be registered for see images

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking new, Bill at Woodhouse is the way to go. Great price and a nice guy, easy to work with. If you are looking for used there are many out there with low miles since many people only use them as weekend drivers. I have a 94 that I bought used but I could never get it out of my mind that someone else owned and drove it, don't know what he did with it. Although there was definetly a savings over the new one I just bought.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought both my 98 Rt/10 and my 2000 Gts new. Definetely buy new if you can afford to do so. Buying a car with low mileage is ok if your buying a "Saturn". However, when buying a high performance car, I personally think it's best to buy new if at all possible. Otherwise it may difficult to tell just how the car has been "driven" previously. My 98 I bought from a local dealer and picked it up there. My 2000 I purchased from an out of state dealer who prepped it for me and then enclosed trailered it to my front door. That was pretty cool, I actually saw it roll off the truck. Whatever you decide, good luck to you. Take care.

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can find one with ultra low miles like I did you will save paying the new car luxury and gas guzzler tax. I found my 98 GTS in the showroom of a BMW dealer with only 500 miles,smooth tubes,K&N's and a car cover. When I found out who the previous owner was I asked him why he traded it in, he told me the car was in perfect condition and loved it but his wife made him trade it in after one ride. The acceleration scared the hell out of her.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also bought my new 2000 RT/10 from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. I had called him inquiring about price and availability earlier in the year and he called me back when he had an arrival scheduled. They shipped the car from Nebraska to Dallas in an enclosed trailer. I was very impressed with the care taken by the gentlemen who drove the trailer to my house. He was extremely careful and meticulous with every detail in unloading the car from the trailer. Can't say enough with the quality of service with Woodhouse.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Order new and then take the CAAP tour for your delivery. No one else does it this way.

Steven J. Ferguson
National President
Viper Club of America

Reaction score
Viper00RT why are you bad mouthing Fitzgerald Motorsports?? I've never heard anything bad from them. Plus how the heck did they send you a 98 instead of 99. That would be hard to mistake don't you think? My 2 cents and I'm not trying to start a FLAME either!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 2000 RT/10 used on th 4th of July 2000, 5 months old 4,000 miles, car had $3,000 in upgrades (3.54 gear, aluminum flywheel & freshair intake), mint condition saved $8,000 over brand new not including upgrades. I had a new 2000 on order for months, got tired of the wait and stories had the exact same car come available 20 miles from my house by a middle aged millionaire so I scooped it up, saw fireworks that night.

Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought new as well. Got mine from Eric Lee who treated me very nicely. I have enjoyed this car immensely. Too bad winter is here and the Beast is under the covers for a long winter's nap.

I think mine had about 12 miles on it when I got it.

As the owner/victim of Dodge's quality control problems (caravan- 38k miles 2 transmissions, 4 tows), I would strongly advise getting the extended warrantee for your snake.

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought used because I wanted a 99 gts and it was 2006. I still had all the fun of researching and choosing a car and watching it arrive on a truck and being unloaded.

I would never buy new, Viper or any other car. I learned that from my buddy who's a car dealer.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine new, but it was a 05 that sat on lot for awhile. So i got a good deal. Prices have continued to drop. You can get new 06's for less then I got my 05.

Also, next time I may just by used. My last 10 cars have all been new. But there are some GREAt deals out there. Im anal and want new,so that its clean and no scrapes/dings. But there are plenty of anal Viper owners that have nice mods on cars and sell for less then it would cost you to do yourself. Look around, there are plenty of deals.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All new as well. The year long anticipation can be a real charm.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked mine up new in Sep02, drove it to my parents house where it stayed until I returned from an overseas assignment in 2004. Since then, I've put 20K on the clock and have had a great time driving it!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy used. I picked mine up (2500 miles)from a VCA member at a nice discount.

If you buy used by from a VCA member.

You will have enough $ left over to buy the extended warranty!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brand-spanking new, was in the showroom, ZERO miles on it...service manager made the service guys come TO the showroom to clean 'er up, they did not MOVE the car til we picked it up!! That was Oct' 05 and we've loved it ever since! ~juli~