Porsche vs Viper

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
911TT is a nice car. I suspect resale value will be high due to the fact it is a TT, limited build. A collector's car, sure, why not. Reliability, I would assume to be great and performance is nothing to sneeze at. It's a bit pricey, but you're going to have to pay for all the technology someway. Nice all around car I wouldn't mind having for a daily driver, but at the price it's going for, I would be nervous about parking it. Now, that carrera GT is something else. I definitely wouldn't mind getting one of those, but the penny pincher in me just wouldn't let me do it. I just can't justify spending 300 to 400K on something that devaluates as soon as I take it off the lot even if money were no object. Maybe if my name was Bill Gates.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Viper and the 996 TT are two different cars appealing to two different buyers (or moods). I own and GTS and a 996 Cab. I expect to take delivery of my 996 TT in January or February (on order since 98). I have driven a TT and it is spectacular to drive. To me, the Viper fills a raw, rip your face off, muscle car experience like no other car. For a subtle, blend end, performance experience, a 996 does the trick. I know I will take some flack for this, but as a daily car, I prefer the Porsche, however, I love the Viper for weekend fun.

As to “collector” status, I don’t think that either car will qualify long term. Both are produced in large numbers, are not convertibles (most long term collectors are). Short term, the right color GTS’s seem to be selling strong with low mileage. TT’s are selling for what their owners paid for them unless they have high mileage. I think the 993 TT’s will drop after the 996 TT’s become more available. There may be some good buys with the 993’s and I think they look cooler than the 996TT.

Just my $.02…

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the looks of the 96 and 97 Porsche twin turbo better than the new one. That's just my personal opinion.

As far as drivability in the snow such as MN. I drove the 96TT through some pretty serious snow and it did incredibly well. Even with Z tires. I'm not sure though how it would do on ice. I'm a little crazy, but not stupid.

The problems with the Porsche TT in the snow is that it gets high centered pretty easily. Also, snow and ice tends to build up inside the wheels which makes for a pretty bumpy ride when you get up over about 40 miles per hour.

I agree with the price factor. It must be pretty hard for these exotic car manufactures to position a car for sale in the 100K+ range and still not have the torque of a Viper. If I'm going to cruise I'll use my wife's 740il. If I want to get on it I couldn't care less about creature comforts. That's what makes the Viper so great.

As far as the other cars and how they work I've been working on a video unrelated to the Viper. Its sort of a takeoff on the Exorcist movie. This tiny clip represents my feelings about competition for the Viper.

My opinion

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When you talk limited supply, keep in mind that there were 1789 Vipers built in 2000 for Worldwide consumption - and that's with two models ( GTS & RT-10 ).
Porsche Twin Turbo's production numbers are supposed to be 2500 worldwide.

Advantage for exclusivity - VIPER!!!!!

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche has made basically 4 different turbos:

1. The original Turbo from about 76 to 89. (with a break in the early 80s.)

2. The 3.6 Turbo from the early 90's to about 94.

3. The first twin turbo based on the 993-body style from 95 to 98. This was the first four-wheel drive production turbo for Porsche. Air-cooled engine, very nice car.

4. The current TT based on the 996-body style. This is also 4-wheel drive but is a water-cooled engine that is based on the GT1 engine that won Le Mans in 1998. I think these cars are a "Plexus", a cross between a Lexus and a Porsche...

My years may be a bit off. In addition, there are different specification cars in each major group; however, this is the 50,000-foot view.

Thanks

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll keep this short because you have already had opinions from guys that have both. I just sold my Porsche 911 Turbo Cab last spring when I got the Viper. Mine was the 80's model that I still think looks better than the recent ones. So my comparison is between an 80's 911 and a early 90's Viper (Gen I).

Power: Viper 8/10, Porsche 6/10
Handling: Porsche 9/10, Viper 7/10
Gawk: Viper 10/10, Porsche 7/10

Gawk got me. I was one of the gawkers until I bought one. Actually I still gawk. When my friends can't find me they go to my garage and see me staring blankly at the car.

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should pick up last months Motor Trend. They did a shootout with a bunch of cars, including the new 911TT and an ACR (finally!). The thing that surprised the hell out of me was slolemn. I expected the awd Porsche to kickass but it didn't, the ACR beat it. I still like both cars, but I LOVE my Viper
You must be registered for see images
What I really want to see is Ruf's version of the new TT. The stock one seems like a lotta hype to me, very close to the Viper but from a brand new model? I think they could have done better.

- Mark ('99 ACR)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave