What Warranty to get on new GTS purchase?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting a new 00 GTS and am wondering which warranty to get. I am leaning toward the best 7/100k for better resale potential if I decide to sell it in a few years.

Any comments?

Thanks
Tom

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definetely go for the 7/100. Like you mentioned it's great for re-sale. I recently sold my 98, however, the guy buying it did not want the warranty. I had the car less than 2 years. I was refunded, (pro-rated, of course), the balance of the warranty. When I purchased my 2000, I bought the another 7/100. Good luck with your new car. Take care.
Laura

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't the viper come with a 3/36 warranty from the factory?
So on a 7/100 what you are really buying is a 4/64.
A warranty do not cover body work but only mechanical systems as engine, tranny etc, and the vast majority of viper owners put very few miles on their car so obviously they are not going to have more than 36.000 miles in 3 years.
So what you are doing when you buy a 7/100 at the same time that you get you new car is paid about $2000 for a service/protection that will not even start for 3 years.
You will be much better off to invest this money for 3 years and the interest on it will more than paid the extra cost (if any) to buy one at 35.999 miles or 3 years less 1 day.
Also what is really expensive on a Viper are not the mechanical parts but the body work.
I know that the dealers are alway trying to sell thoses extra warranty, mine say I was crazy to buy my Viper without one,but there is a good reason for that, they make a lot of money on it, not that they have "your best interest" in mind.
Will be interesting to see how many peoples on this board bought an 7/100 and how many did had repairs done under it after the original 3/36.

I bet you that it will be only a few %.
But if you sleep better at night knowing that you have a 7/100,by all means get one, we all know that peace of mind is priceless.
luc. 2000 Gts.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Luc.

Obviously dealers will make money on Extended Service Contracts, but most of us are very reasonable with VCA members. The concerns I have are to illustrate that your philosophy of putting the money in the bank and you'll be way ahead may be true in many cases, but it doesn't appear so with the Viper. Case in point, and something many dealers have not noticed and it has cost them money, is that there is an additional surcharge on Chrysler contracts after the First year( or 12,000 miles ) and another after the Second year. Along with the fact that Chrysler normally raises rates every year, it is not unusual for a customer to pay $300 -$400 additional(over and above the price they would get now ) at the end of their factory warranty to continue coverage. Whether someone buys a contract from us or not , we do let them know that many customers find it one of the top advantages when they sell their car themselves - this is something we hear from customers and it is often echoed on the board. With an engine currently costing around $14,000 for a replacement, many customers find the peace of mind is very reasonable. I believe if folks call Fitzgerald, Roanoke, Claude Short, etc. or ourselves they will get a fair deal & I do echo Jon B's sentiments that it really is a good idea for most.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also purchase a warranty for the same number of years with significantly less milieage coverage. Because of the limited milieage most owners do put on their cars. By doing this the cost of the warranty is significantly less. I did just that through Fitzgerald Motorsports. You can't beat the "piece of mind". Come on now, when shelling out the money for the car, really, what's a couple of grand more anyway????? Let's also be realistic, the interest earned on that small sum of money or your potential investment returns, won't add up to much anyway. Go for the coverage, one time of using it, you'll be glad you did it.
Take care and have a wonderful day!!! Good luck.
Laura

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets