Questions on 96/97 GTS

Blake Kercovich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings all. First post...at least in this format (I used to visit when this board used the old format: UBB is much better
You must be registered for see images
)

Anyway, I have a question concerning the early GTSs.

As far as I was aware, Dodge discontinued the side pipe exhaust before the first GTS was made in 96. However, I have seen pictures of either a 96 or 97 (Blue w/ White Stripes) GTS with side pipes.
My question: Were side pipes available on the GTS (perhaps an option)?
If not, then this must have been an aftermarket additon (I think I read somewhere that Hennessey offers this conversion).
I love the side pipe look, and want to learn more about this, so I can make more informed purchasing decisions.

FYI...A little about me:
I currently own an 86 Corvette, and I am one of the admins over at www.corvetteforum.com
My dream car is a 96/97 GTS, Blue w/ White Stripes.
I just bought my first home (with a big old garage!), and my financial plan is to put my butt in a Viper before the end of 2002.
I love talking about cars.
One of my hobbies is racing the Vette. (drags, autox, road course) If any Viper owners around Pittsburgh go racing next spring/summer, drop me an email. There are a group of folks (Vette and Porsche) guys that like to go road course racing. And the more the merrier. Would love to have some Snakes join the fun.

Thanks for your help.

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the above answer is correct with the exception of the preproduction GTS that was on the cover of Motor Trend and other magazines. It had side exhaust sills etc but also had the production style rear exhaust. I guess it's possible that the photos were of two different cars in the same photo shoot.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think AutoForm makes a side pipe application. Some people have ordered the original side pipe covers and installed them on their GTS. Might want to check out some of the other sections as to who offers the covers.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most guys on here who have converted a GTS to sidepipes HATED them. Way too loud, obnoxious, droany...etc..

Note: Um, I just looked at the date......

Last edited:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
His last post was in 04 and he did not have one at that time. So it looks like he probably never did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper