Ceramic coating headers?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just got a gorgeous complete 3" stainless steel exhaust system (B&B) headers are tri-y type ones. I've tasked a company to ceramic coat my headers to reduce underhood heat, and keep heat in the gases as they'll flow quicker. There is a choice of two coatings:
1) Grey Alumina - METCO 101
Gives aprox 35% heat reduction (often used on exhaust systems)
2) Cream Magnesium Zirconate - METCO 210 (with METCO 443 bond coat)
Gives aprox 50% heat reduction, (popular for on turbo parts).
I have been warned that either can chip off! The second ceramic coating is twice the price of the METCO 101, for 15% more heat reduction.

Can anyone help me make my decision? Have any of you used either? I am thinking go for the less expensive one, will 35% heat reduction of the stainless steel temperatures be sufficient; recon it will be less than the heat from stock steel, with heat shieldings, temperatures produced (mines a '97 - cast steel)?

All advice and help much apreciated.

Nadine and GTS (soon to have smart new exhaust fitted as soon as *** can decide on which ceramic!)

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. You've got a $70k car (afraid I don't have a pound sign), beautiful headers and your concerned over half the cost of the highest quality ceramic you can find? Go for the best. Not only you but your car deserve it. Ceramics do chip but properly cared for they last a long time. Anything less would be like a black and white tattoo when you knew you could have had color.

I've seen the difference on turbos. You can literally touch the exhaust with your bare hand a minute after the motor is turned off. Guys that have had there heads, pistons, crank etc. done swear it takes twenty minutes to warm up their engine, and that's here in Texas.

And that 15% further reduction is actually a 42% improvement (15/35). Diminishing returns no doubt but the same could be said about going from a V-8 to a V-10. Go for it ***!

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same B&B headers and Borla 3 in. exhaust. I used the 2000 deg. JetHot coating on the headers, mufflers and cats.. I have had no problems with chipping, and sill temperatures and underhood temperatures are very low.

You must be registered for see images

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
B&B makes both a 5-into 1 header and the Tri-Y (aka Balanger style) header for Viper. The Tri-Y header in Jerry Scott's photo above is stainless steel and is sold through Dave Schotz at:

SVP Racing www.svpviper.com
Dave Schotz
PH (602) 499-0089
E-mail: [email protected]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235