Ready for NOS !!!

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From someone who has run NOS for years, I'll tell you, as long as your motor is in good shape(no blow-by etc. etc...) It will stand a 150 shot of NOS... NOS can hurt your motor if you get greedy and try to put more Horsepower to the bottom end of your motor, then the bottom end of your motor was designed to take. Or if you do not have enough fuel at the proper pressure to supply the motor.
(hint run a dedicated fuel system)Also as a general rule retard timing 2 degrees for every 50 hp of NOS. Remember NOS with out fuel becomes a cutting torch and can and will burn holes in pistons etc..... By the way if you currently shift your car at 6000 rpm, Drop your shift points down to 5300 to 5500 max. The motor will live longer and NOS does most of its magic at lower rpm's thus saving wear and tear on your motor(Read, RPM'S kill motors!)As far as warranty.. Well, Take it off before service(this requires installing it in such a way that they can't tell you ever had it) It can be done! Once you are bottle feed you will never be weaned!
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOS should never be used at anthing but full throttle 3000 rpm min....Put it this way if there is a weakness in the motor NOS will help you find it! Higher then 150 hp NOS requires a strong bottom end(Steel crank, Forged pistons, Stainless valves, Good rods & bolts ect ect...) O-ringing the block or heads is also a good idea to keep the combustion in it's place....

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Mr Dove's comments carry much merit. The good news is that your viper engine is built almost exactly like a good nitrous engine builder would build one ie; steel crank, forged pistons, long duration cam, strong rods and assembly hardware, right from the factory!(as a matter of fact most folks who build nitrous engines can't afford aluminum blocks, heads and a fuel injected, long runner, dual throttle bodied crossram intake manifold!)

Don't be fooled by the guy at the local hangout with a Jarvic 7 nitrous system on his 73 small block chevy vega producing 200 hp on motor and 1000 hp on nitrous who is wondering why it won't stay together or a fellow with a 4 door family car with nitrous that blew the garage door off of his house!

Although ANY modifications to your engine and drivetrain can void your warranty, a well designed nitrous system will net you hundreds of hours of trouble free high horsepower useage with no modification needed to your valuable collectable car!

Also, unlike other bolt-IN modifications you can take off the system whenever and for whatever reason you like, heck, and even sell it to get back some of your money! Your dealer is the deciding authority on your warranty claims.

Years before nitrous came to the market for hobbyist, the racers cried "run what ya brung" as they sat in a car of which the only piece of steel on the whole thing was the crankshaft, now its different. I don't care what anyone does to a motor, a well prepped low compression nitrous injected engine will outlast any engine of the same power output, Period.

So go ahead, get yourself a good nitrous kit and tell all comers to run what they brung!

tom

"keep the lipstick off the dipstick"

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom,
One related question -- I frequently hear (and it makes some sense) that you should retard the ignition when running NOS systems. Is that true when you're running NOS/Propane as well? If so, how do you deal with it in your kit?

Cheers,
Ben
Soon-to-be-2001-RT/10-owner.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
Hey Tom,
One related question -- I frequently hear (and it makes some sense) that you should retard the ignition when running NOS systems. Is that true when you're running NOS/Propane as well? If so, how do you deal with it in your kit?

Cheers,
Ben
Soon-to-be-2001-RT/10-owner.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ben,

The properties of the propane prevent detonation which is the reason why nitrous kit mfgrs. suggest retarding the timing. In my kit instructions i state shift points on nitrous to be at 4600 rpm. This is specifically because of the timing advance of the vipers computer.(also power is peaked at 5100 rpms in dyno testing that i have done on my own car-where 4600 to 5100 is almost flat)

Shifting your viper at 5000 or higher rpms will not harm your engine, only spend more nitrous with no gain in power or e.t.

I am going to start testing a higher hp version for ******** racers that will produce more power for the viper and i will be hopefully incorporating the ROE VEC-1 used backwards of its design to retard timing for extreme power outputs.

Again, to answer your question, the propane is so clean and cool burning, so high in octane(higher than any racing gas)that detonation is non-existant. Factory heat range spark plugs are safe for use with this kit. Retarding the timing is based upon using gasoline as a fuel supplement and is recommended only above 175 additional hp of nitrous is injected. All nitrous "dry"(kits designed for fuel injected cars that have no extra fuel delivery capacity)kits are designed for use with no timing retard and produce anywhere from 75 to 140 hp.

thanks

tom

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth