Supercharger

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always liked the look of those bigass 6-71 blowers sticking out of the hood. However, I was told that the newer under hood superchargers were more efficient. If that's true then why doesn't Top Fuel use them?

With the obvious exception of limited visibility, is there any reason not to use a 6-71 (or 8-71 now I believe?) on a street rod?

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6-71 is a Roots blower (positive displacement) and it is not a very efficient design,there is a newer roots style blower called a Whipplecharger or Lysholm screw,it is a smaller more efficient intake mounted blower.
What the roots style blowers give you is almost instant boost where Centrifugals don't make full boost till near engine redline,a roots style will make full boost off idle.
Centrifugals flow more air on the top end making better top end power.
A Whipple-charged Viper would be awesome!,BTW there was a Whipple-charged Top fueler but he made so much more power than the rest of the field NHRA outlawed the Whipple in Top Fuel,you can use a Whipple in Alcohol Rails.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TurboSnake:
A Whipple-charged Viper would be awesome<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Nuf said
smile.gif

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

Curious how my friend and I were just discusing which tunner was going to be the first to use a whiple on a Viper. I guess the answer to that is clear.

How soon can we expect it?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
See earlir post on this site for "mail order supercharger kit coming".
I cannot publish any more information than this. We're in this project with two other companies.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it boils down to preference, I have both kinds on my vehicles and I think they both have positive attributes but the vortech has been out there a lot longer than the new style roots blower and I personally like the vortech better than my kennebelle.I also think the vortech comes on quicker.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
I also think the vortech comes on quicker.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Theres no way a Vortech will make boost quicker than a Whipple.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62