High Flow Cats and Smog testing in California,,,,,,

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Corsa Catback system and was wondering if there is any smog related problems with adding Hi flo cats to my car?

A person here in the Peoples Republic of California needs to know.

Thanking ya'll in advance for the answer!!!

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None that I know of Gary. I've already done that setup to my car. The Corsa with the hi-flow cats is a really sweet sound, louder and throatier than with the stock cats. My car sniffed so clean (when it was stock) when I registered it that I don't see how there could be a problem. Only if you run no-cats would you have an issue I think, or if you had an agressive cam or something.

OP
OP
G

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matk,

How is the sound level at cruiz'n speeds, really don't need toooo much extra zoom zooom noise? It is really quiet now.

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a bit louder at idle, but not much so. In fact I'd characterize it more in a sense that you can really hear the cam better with the high flows. Its just not as muffled it seems as with the stock cats. But at WOT and de-cel it really sounds bada$$. My favorite I think is coming down the rpm band as it gurgles and pops, really fun stuff.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, check with your BMV also. I'm in Ohio and I have my Prowler and Viper registered as a "collector car". So no emissions testing.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Gary, I'm the same Andy R there too.

We're both so original with our snappy names, aren't we? I'm glad to see you posting on both sites still. I'm more of a reader than a writer, and I have enjoyed reading your stuff.

Enjoy the Viper and be careful!!

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryC:
I have the Corsa Catback system and was wondering if there is any smog related problems with adding Hi flo cats to my car?

A person here in the Peoples Republic of California needs to know.

Thanking ya'll in advance for the answer!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GaryC, I just had my smog check done in the bay area and it passed with no problem. I also have Corsa with high flow cats and headers. If you decide to get headers get a brand that will fit the stock heat shields (with a little forming) such as Belanger or TNT, then you will pass the visual inspection.

OP
OP
G

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad,

Thanks for the answer, if I fail down here, I will do a road trip to your guy, lol.
biggrin.gif

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary-
Most of our customers get emissions testing done next store to our shop.

Give me a call at 408.562.1000 and we can set set you up an appointment.
Thanks!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss