Torque questions for Supercharger applications

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question for Supercharger tuners who have sold more than 1 or 2 systems and whose customers have driven the cars pretty hard in more than just a 1/4 mile application: My question is this: How does amount of torque produced compare to the horsepower? Are the increases in the peak #'s mirroring each other compared to the HP/Torque before the installation? ie +100 HP and +100 LBS/Ft Also, is there more overall HP & Torque area under the curve(s)? Or does the blower make proportionately more torque on the order of what you get with the nitrous? I realize some of these questions have to do with the specific application and type of blower; But, I am looking for generalities of the nature of the beast. Paolo

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, I just looked at some dyno sheets from cars I have done and it seems that they pick up about the same amount of torque as horsepower. I have customers that have several thousand miles on their supercharged cars and I know of a couple that have definitely punished their cars for a lot longer than a quarter mile. One of them wishes to remain nameless for going over 200 mph on a public highway, he held it to the floor for about three miles and it took him about another mile to slow down. I feel that the hypereutectic pistons that come in the later cars are only good for quarter mile racing, if you want to road race or run the silver state classic you will definitely need to switch to forged pistons. Also on a road race application you would most certainly want to keep the boost low, running 12 psi on a road course or for any endurance is too much. You would eventually heat soak the engine , detonate, and have a severe meltdown. Perhaps others may have their own opinions but this is my two cents. Hope I answered your questions.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, seven or eight pounds on a road course would be fine as long as: 1 you have enough fuel going into the engine and 2 you have your timing managed sufficiently. Both of which I'm sure are not issues with your car. It would be a good idea to talk to Doug and ask him for any advice. He may have a few suggestions that could save you a lot of trouble, he would know more about your car in particular than anyone.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Heffner:
Paolo, I just looked at some dyno sheets from cars I have done and it seems that they pick up about the same amount of torque as horsepower. I have customers that have several thousand miles on their supercharged cars and I know of a couple that have definitely punished their cars for a lot longer than a quarter mile. One of them wishes to remain nameless for going over 200 mph on a public highway, he held it to the floor for about three miles and it took him about another mile to slow down. I feel that the hypereutectic pistons that come in the later cars are only good for quarter mile racing, if you want to road race or run the silver state classic you will definitely need to switch to forged pistons. Also on a road race application you would most certainly want to keep the boost low, running 12 psi on a road course or for any endurance is too much. You would eventually heat soak the engine , detonate, and have a severe meltdown. Perhaps others may have their own opinions but this is my two cents. Hope I answered your questions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason and Dan, thanks for your input, I appreciate it! Paolo

Reaction score
Paolo,
Here's a touch more on your question:

Under boost: The TQ ramps a bit higher than the HP mostly through the entire powerband. The TQ does somewhat mirror the HP curves but comes in sooner on a climb than the HP. The graph is a rapid "linear" scale.

Under nitrous: The TQ goes "sonic," the graph ramps (rockets for a better word) instantaneously in an upward motion but doesn't seem to carry (of course depending on the application) as linear as the supercharger-TQ band. Comparatively, the nitrous produces much more TQ than the blower - nothing "shocks the tires" like nitrous. Certainly there are pros & cons to that scenario.

Regards,
Doug