NITROUS OXIDE...

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 123- 15# bottles using a Nitrous Express
200 shot dose. (put 73,000 miles on my 96 GTS). BTR uses nitrous /propane with good results.
Proper installation and use of RPM window switches is
the key to longevity IMHO.

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT IS 123? AND WHATS A KIT FROM NITROUS EXPRESS COST? IS IT EASY TO INSTALL? HOW MANY RUNS DO U GET FROM A FULL BOTTLE? DO YOU HAVE TO OPEN AND CLOSE THE BOTTLE MANUALLY IN THE TRUNK?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the new kid on the block with a wet system including RPM switch,Remote bottle opener,custom aluminum brackets for trunk bottle, and smooth tube bracket with NOS,GAS, purge set up threw hood.Allowing the complete system to be removed and reinstalled in 1hr.1st time installation 2 to 3 hrs.
Theres also Albert and Tom.I think all systems produce Happy power to satisfy.If you need 9's on juice,they've been there.All "NOS"parts.
My system complete cost $3000.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You basically have 2 (practical) choices

1. NX wet system. Taps into your fuel supply and sprays gas/nitrous together into your throttle bodies. Also the cheapest around $1,000 (I think)

2. BTR - Has several systems - dry, propane, gas & propane price $1,000-$3,000

Basically the difference is the fuel enrichment. Whenever you add nitrous you must add additional fuel to the engine. There have been several fried Viper motors using just gas enrichment but none with propane (that I know of)

If you don't know what your doing (which it don't sound like) then you will want to get it installed by someone that does this type of work, because a Viper engine is a terrible thing to waste. The instructions are at best adequate, and for someone that don't know what they are doing it can easily get screwed up.

Dry system which I DO NOT RECOMMEND will get you 70-80 rwhp

NX wet will get you 120-140 rwhp

Nitrous propane will get you 140-160 rwhp

Is is on a stock or nearly stock engine.

Other higher HP options are available which I also would NOT recommend. If you go crazy with the juice you start running the risk of breaking/damaging things. You WILL VOID the engine/drive train warranty using nitrous. Basically it don't matter what goes bad they WILL try and blame it on the nitrous, don't matter if it caused the problem or not. If you do run nitrous you will want to completely remove the system prior to each time you take the car in for service.

It's not difficult to install but forget about 3 hours, count on 10-12 depending on the setup and extras. Take your time to do it right.

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. WHERE CAN I BUY AND HAVE A WET SYSTEM INSTALLED? HOW MUCH WOULD A BASIC ENTRY LEVEL SYSTEM COST FROM NX? HOW MANY RUNS CAN YOU GET ON A 15LBS BOTTLE?

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THINKING ABOUT PUTTING NITROUS ON THE 99 RT. WHATS THE BEST COMPANY TO GO WITH? WHAT KIND OF POWER IS SAFE ON A STOCK MOTOR? WHAT WILL THIS DO TO THE FACTORY WARRANTY? IS IT DIFFICULT TO INSTALL? WILL IT BE NOTICEABLE UNDER THE HOOD?

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like TOOOFST's "quick connect" system. My concern is always that the dealership will not honor the warranty if they know NOS was used.

A quick removal could be real handy.

Jerry

MW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Blue">Totally agree w/the time req. to install the NOS 5180 kit. (dry system w/electronic fuel enrichment). But it seems to be a "safe" system w/ the 36 jets for the GTS. (40jets for the RT/10 92-95 w/OBD 1st gen). My air/fuel ratio monitor does show a step leaner w/ N2O activated, but no audible detination or visible plug problems. Will run on dyno to get a tailpipe a/f check soon...The 5180 set for "stock" Vipers, tho I do have a catback system and K&Ns. Put on stock computer. I would like to see someone else's dyno sheet with the a/f results w/the basic NOS system.. Thanks.</FONT c>

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MW,

The basic 5180 kit was designed for stock vipers...more exactly Gen 1 Vipers whos computer was different in the way it reads air/fuel. The more mods your viper has the leaner your basic 5180 kit will run.

Check out my Propane and or Gasoline upgrade kits for your 5180 kit that will enhance your air/fuel ratio while at the same time double your kits horsepower and torque output.

Good luck with your nitrous endevours,

Tom Http://btrviper.com

MW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Navy">
Is the porpane tank temp as critical as the NOS? (using the NOS heater, so would I need a propane tank heater also, or is it jetted plenty rich even when N2O is at heated ..~900psi)?
Thanks</FONT c>

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MW:

The Propane assist tends to lean out if you do not keep tank at 160 psi. At 80 degree's ambient you will be at 160 psi. For cold weather cities get a bottle heater for the propane. The Gen 1 has a harder time with the maintaining a/f ratio. The injectors do not have the same volume as the Gen 2.

The 80-85 degree bottle heater thermostats will keep you very close to 160 psi with the propane. With the bottle heater on the NOS, a full bottle will see 1000-1100 psi.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see why someone with decent wrench skills couldnt put on a wet system themselves. I put one (NX) on my Vette without a problem, and had it on for 2 years...

Wet systems are pretty **** easy.

MW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Maroon">I have seen a lot of results from the BTR NOS/propane , but I would like to hear comments on the "gasoline enrichment upgrade" for the NOS system...the installation and results. Thanks!</FONT c>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456